Oldest ship in AE?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mind_messing

Oldest ship in AE?

Post by mind_messing »

Out of interest, what is the oldest ship represented in AE?

For the Japanese, I'm fairly sure it must be the Tokiwa (commissioned 1899).

Not so sure about the Allies, anyone want to show off their encyclopedic knowledge?
oaltinyay

RE: Oldest ship in AE?

Post by oaltinyay »

I am sure there must be a Dutch auxiliary .. CM or sth like that. Also the Australian ship IJN caught in Rabaul ( westralia ? ) when they invaded was pretty old...
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

Unless its the Dutch gunboat, it could be any one of the dozens of tramp steamers in the game.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Unless its the Dutch gunboat, it could be any one of the dozens of tramp steamers in the game.

The PG Soerabaja? Commissioned in 1910, so it's quite young by Japanese standards!
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yep, I am sure that some of those many AKLs in the game were coal burning turn of the century vessels. This one is going to be tough to answer.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

It would be hard to assess; specially since AKs are mostly "generic" classes

What would be the oldest non generic class warship?

assuming warship as anything designed to fight, including minesweeper, gunboats, patrol boats

Probably the Tokiwa?
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

The flagship of IJN China fleet, Izumo, is missing. She is a lot younger, at 1898 though. She was the HQ and the close support vessel during the battle of Shanghai and was retrofitted with some AA weapons and served as a training cruiser. She was 10000 tons, had 4 x 8 inch guns and 14 x 6 inch ones and would be a nice little Chinese coast bombard vessel. http://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=478 And AFBs could get VPs for sinking her (in real life she was sunk at Kure by carrier a/c)
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

This one is old

although a training ship/ base with no engines or armament can hardly apply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Philomel_(1890)
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

The game left out the Oregon Naval militia ship Despatch[ex USS Boston] 4-8/30; 8-6/30. comm 1887
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
Dili

Post by Dili »

Interesting question.

A sligth OT i'am surprised by the non existence of sailing vessels or more precisely motor sailing vessels in the game.
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

Or the BB Kearsarge could have been an AR - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kearsa ... rld_War_II
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Some of the US patrol craft were pretty old, but I think the oldest warship in the game is probably Dutch. They had some antique hulls. Here is a page of Dutch warships, I don't have the time to go through them all:

http://www.navypedia.org/ships/netherlands/nl_index.htm

I agree with others the oldest ship is probably one of those AKLs. In one mod, it may have been for the original WitP, there were some sail merchant ships. I haven't seen them in any AE mod.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

The oldest Dutch naval vessel in the Dutch East Indies that I can find was the torpedo repairship Serdang, completed in 1897. She's not included in the game. The oldest Dutch ship in the game is Soerabaja, completed in in 1910.

Most of the older Dutch ships were in Europe by 1941. The DEI generally got the best of the Dutch fleet.
-- Mark Sieving
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

The mod that adds all the French and Thai ships have sailing ships in it. I think its Skylands mod.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

When I was a merchant seaman in the late 1970s, the second mate on my watch was South African. He sailed on a steel square rigger during the war sailing between Cape Town and South America. The ship had to be pretty old. He told me that they were sighted by a German submarine in the South Atlantic which passed up the attack and then later Axis Annie broadcast a hello to them over the shortwave with a greeting from the crew of the submarine.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Reg

Post by Reg »

Not in the game but HMS Wellesley is going to take some beating....

Edit: Damaged and sunk in an air raid 1940.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Wellesley_(1815)

Pacific theatre link: She captured Karachi for the British. Slightly earlier than events portrayed in our game but....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

2 old Dutch steamers, s'Jacob 1907 and van Heemskerk 1909, both lost off New Guinea
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: Dili

Interesting question.

A sligth OT i'am surprised by the non existence of sailing vessels or more precisely motor sailing vessels in the game.

As noted above by oldman45, Skyland's "War Option 1941" mod has some French sailing vessels. Can't remember if vanilla DBB has sailing vessels, but some non-published derivatives have added luggers, ketcheds, schooners, fishing trawlers etc. operated by the "United States Army Small Ships Section" operating around New Guinea - and some "tall ships" as well. See here
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

2 old Dutch steamers, s'Jacob 1907 and van Heemskerk 1909, both lost off New Guinea

Found an interesting post including these two ships, which continued to transport to New Guinea well after the DEI had fallen.

http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/Kpm_ships.htm

Here is a shot of the S'Jacob.

Attachments
s_jakob_1907.jpg
s_jakob_1907.jpg (135.72 KiB) Viewed 153 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Dili

Post by Dili »

Nice LargeSlowTarget in my Mediterranean research i find more than hundred of motor+sailing ships employed for military operations - minesweeping, ASW and transport - that i found surprising none appears in Pacific

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”