AE Map, Base, Economic Issues [OUTDATED]

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Andrew Brown

RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

From Tech Forum
Nadzab (98,125) has a port that you can't get to.
The hexsides don't allow TF to get to the port.
Either it shouldn't be a port or the hexsides need adjusting.

Nadzab should not be a port.

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Bullwinkle58

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I posted this in the logistics thread currently open on the main forum, but it's more proper here. (And I want to avoid getting lost in the Search function.) It concerns auto-generation of supply and fuel at UK:

"Splitting this into its own post to get noticed . . .

The above posts on UK supply made me dig a little bit. I don't read the Map sub-thread Andrew runs, so maybe this was discussed long ago. I'm playing one of the mid-beta versions, and my UK base auto-generates 5000/day supply, and 500/day fuel. It sounds from comments that this is the norm for everyone.

However, looking WAAAAAY back in the patch release notes, to

v1.00.84 – September 9, 2009
• First Official Update

• Base Data Changes

we see this

"8. The daily supply and fuel point levels for the United Kingdom off-map base have both been reduced to 100 points per day, from their previous levels of 5,000 and 500 respectively."

I can't find anywhere else this was re-reversed. Was it never done? Was it changed and I can't find it in a later data patch? "

The Moose
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

How narrow must a strait to be qualified as "narrow strait" in the game?
I just wonder why there isn't a narrow strait between 91,128(Horn Island) and 90,129(norther end of Australia), the biggest strait there seems to be 5km, is that narrow enough?
And just to get it correct hex 91,127 is a wide strait or?
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

"8. The daily supply and fuel point levels for the United Kingdom off-map base have both been reduced to 100 points per day, from their previous levels of 5,000 and 500 respectively."

I can't find anywhere else this was re-reversed. Was it never done? Was it changed and I can't find it in a later data patch? "

100 per day is correct. However the 5000/500 figures seem to keep creeping back in to the scenarios, unfortunately!

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

How narrow must a strait to be qualified as "narrow strait" in the game?
I just wonder why there isn't a narrow strait between 91,128(Horn Island) and 90,129(norther end of Australia), the biggest strait there seems to be 5km, is that narrow enough?
And just to get it correct hex 91,127 is a wide strait or?

A narrow strait is just a few km wide, or less.

I only added in a few straits, generally in the more critical areas of the map. I always intended, but never got around to, adding in all of the straits across the entire map.

Andrew

CV 2

Post by CV 2 »

Happened across 2 map errors Andy.

Hex 48, 80 and 49, 82 are both labeled as OD hexes when they should be OS.
Omat

Ohka

Post by Omat »

Hello

Seems that the Ohka in scenario 2 (maybe 1) is not bing build.
ORIGINAL: michaelm

The rate isn't hardcoded in AE.
There was a factory producing them in the very early releases of the OOBs, although now I see Tokyo is pretty full of factories.
Maybe it got bumped off. This should be refered to one of the OOB fellows.

Maybe the factory shuld be moved...

Here is the thread with more info`s:

tm.asp?m=2352548

Hope it helps...

Omat
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
LargeSlowTarget

Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Been doing some sight-seeing on Google Earth and came across two suspicious-looking clearings in northern New Guinea, south of Manokwari (hex 85/110). A bit of googleing confirmed that they are Japanese wartime airfields - known as Waren Drome (upper image) and Moemi Drome. They are not present in AE. I think they fall into the same category as other RL secondary airfields in the area (e.g. Kaimana, Nabire) - which are in the game as dot bases. Furthermore, note the bomb pockmarks at Waren Drome. If it was important enough to be bombed, it should be included on the map, no? [:)].

Attachments
airdromes_hex_85110.jpg
airdromes_hex_85110.jpg (226.78 KiB) Viewed 106 times
witpqs

RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Been doing some sight-seeing on Google Earth and came across two suspicious-looking clearings in northern New Guinea, south of Manokwari (hex 85/110). A bit of googleing confirmed that they are Japanese wartime airfields - known as Waren Drome (upper image) and Moemi Drome. They are not present in AE. I think they fall into the same category as other RL secondary airfields in the area (e.g. Kaimana, Nabire) - which are in the game as dot bases. Furthermore, note the bomb pockmarks at Waren Drome. If it was important enough to be bombed, it should be included on the map, no? [:)].

Is it possible that Andrew considered them part of the Manokwari airfield complex?
LargeSlowTarget

Possible, but if the Google Earth tools are reliable, Manokwari airbase and Waren Drome are separated by about 48 (land) miles - that would put them in different hexes, no?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Possible, but if the Google Earth tools are reliable, Manokwari airbase and Waren Drome are seperated by about 48 (land) miles - that would put them in different hexes, no?
Not necessarily. 48 miles is only 2 miles over the ~46 statute miles (aka 40nm) for a land hex in AE. There are several reasons that could put them in the same hex. There might be a difference in where two different map designers throw the stake in the ground for each base, making a difference of a few miles. The map projection used might throw off the (flat map versus globe) distances sufficiently in that area. Possibly the greatest potential reason is that, because of the 40nm resolution of the map coupled with the full-hex resolution of the game engine, the map designer might have to nudge a few bases or features here and there by one hex to make the map and code work together for better game play. An example of that last is the often discussed range of the Zero versus the distance between Rabaul and Guadalcanal.

Anyhow it just occurred to me that as they are one hex away from an existing base that Andrew might have made that decision. Only he can answer that.
LargeSlowTarget

Good explanation!

But well, I'm one of the guys who would love to have a dot or base at every hex - so I have put a dot base at 85/110 in my mod [:)]
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

When I press "R" to examine the road net, the secondary road leading to Patung in China is marked as a major road (solid red line is displayed instead of bright red one). Is this a bug?

Attachments
Patung_bug.jpg
Patung_bug.jpg (134.39 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Ridinroun

Post by Ridinroun »

Today I started having a problem with the map. In the furthest parts to the North like Canada and South, South of Brisbane I am getting overlapping hex and no land mass. For example if I'm looking at Hawaii and I click to go to the Northeast I still have Hawaii area and a bunch of overlapping hex's. Do I need to change my display resolution or something? Here my PC stats.

Intel Core i7-2760QM 2.44ghz win7 64bit NVidia GeForce 2gb 16gb ram 1TB HD 805GB free
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

This tends to happen when the video memory gets corrupted. Sometimes restarting the game will fix the problem, sometimes it requires a reboot of the computer.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Ridinroun

Post by Ridinroun »

Ok. Appreciate the help.
Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl »

Sorry if this was asked before but why is the railroad between Hanoi and Kunming cut? Between Lao Cai and Mengtze there's no railroad, yet one existed.

The Kunming–Hai Phong Railway was finished by France in 1910 and apparently still exists.

And while I'm looking at it, why does the railroad from Hanoi end at Lang Son? I was under the impression there was a railroad that went all the way to Nanning.
LargeSlowTarget

The Chinese destroyed or dismantled railroads and bridges when retreating to slow down the Japanese - that's why the game has many rail lines missing (Canton - Kukong or Hangchow - Nanking are other examples).

The Japanese may have been able to rebuild the lines, but this ability is not modelled in the game. So for the destroyed sections it was a question of either put them in and change game balance by giving ahistorical strat movement abilities - or to leave them out.

It is possible for modders to put the destroyed sections back into the game, but it requires house rules and only works for PBEM.
Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl »

Thanks for the explanation.

I suppose it would be better if the game modeled "destroyed railroads" so that you could repair them if you secure the territory and pay a cost.

Although realistically, certain bridges like the the Renziqiao Bridge would be easy to destroy and almost impossible to repair under wartime conditions.

And there'd probably be rampant railroad sabotage in China and Burma in the early part of the game. Come to think of it, why didn't the British sabotage more railroads?
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

We looked at the ability to build roads and railroads and it would have been way too much work. We didn't have the time to tackle it. It's a big change to the engine.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”