XP Gains

Welcome to the new war raging across hundreds of light years at once, with mechanized Titans as the main fighting force.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

Fornax

XP Gains

Post by Fornax »

I would like to make a suggestion for the way XP gains are handled on the combat field. When playing with my brother we soon discovered that skill checks result in XP gains. Nothing wrong with that, but what ended up happening is we would deliberately do things to invoke skill checks for the sole purpose of getting more XPs (like always dodging or breaking moves).

It does makes sense that practicing in this way would contribute to a jock's skills, and of course there's a chance you will fail a skill check and damage your titan...but those two things aren't enough to offset the "cheapness" of this tactic, imo.

So, my suggestion is this: Track the number of times each type of skill check is made and apply a square root to the tally at the end of combat. What I mean is to create an array for each possible skill check and keep the tallies in it, so start out with something like:

skill_check[BREAK_MOVE]=0
skill_check[DODGE]=0
skill_check[CLOSE_COMBAT]=0
skill_check[CANNONS]=0
:
skill_check[REPAIR]=0

Each time a skill check is made its corresponding field is incremented. So if during a match a jock dodged 3 times, fired his cannon-type weapons 5 times, and made a repair then the table would look like:

skill_check[BREAK_MOVE]=0
skill_check[DODGE]=3
skill_check[CLOSE_COMBAT]=0
skill_check[CANNONS]=5
:
skill_check[REPAIR]=1

Then use the square root of each of these fields to determine XP gains for Piloting, Combat and Other. For example:

Combat XP Gain = ( sqrt(skill_check[CLOSE_COMBAT]) + sqrt(skill_check[CANNONS]) + sqrt(...) ) * some_constant

In this way, jocks will receive diminishing returns for performing the same skill check again and again. This reflects the idea that you can only learn so much in one go, and it's difficult to learn everything about piloting from dodging alone.
LarkinVB

RE: XP Gains

Post by LarkinVB »

I don't see much benefit. Your formula is ignoring the fact that MGs fire is much faster than an AC20 but will gain equal XPs for a shot. It is also ignoring how well a skill check is passed.
Farming is more a 'psychological' problem of the player. Just stop trying to abuse the system. Btw dodging without the danger of being shot will give you no XPs.
Fornax

Post by Fornax »

I had forgotten about the reload times...I suppose tracking each weapon type separately, then multiplying each tally by reload time before taking the square roots would be better.

It is a psychological issue, yes. For me XP farming is something that creeps into gameplay. I think finding exploits and abusing them is part of human nature :D
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

"an AC20 but will gain equal XPs for a shot"

I don't think that's correct? Heavier weapons have a different modifier for gained XP IIRC.
Iceman
Fornax

Post by Fornax »

I think Larkin was saying that an AC20 would gain the same XPs per shot as an MG if the formula I proposed in the OP was implemented.
Fornax

Post by Fornax »

Thanks for the 1.2.8 update Larkin!

Yet Another XP Nag: What if the XP reward of each match was calculated based on total weight and skill of opponent team and then divvied up according to each jock's skill usage during the battle? (To prevent XP milking for people with self-control issues)
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

ORIGINAL: Fornax

Thanks for the 1.2.8 update Larkin!

Yet Another XP Nag: What if the XP reward of each match was calculated based on total weight and skill of opponent team and then divvied up according to each jock's skill usage during the battle? (To prevent XP milking for people with self-control issues)

[:D] I suggest visiting a therapist. The xp system is just fine for me. What do you do to harvest xps ?
Fornax

Post by Fornax »

Stuff like repeatedly crouching/standing while finishing off a titan or drawing out the end of a battle so that an injured jock can maximize the use of their life support system.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Stuff like repeatedly crouching/standing while finishing off a titan or drawing out the end of a battle so that an injured jock can maximize the use of their life support system.

Look, you can play a hotseat game against a random 1600t team and set all enemies to wait on call and milk xps and money without a threat. If a player has no self control there is no way to prevent him from abusing the system. Even better hex edit your stats. [:-]
Fornax

Post by Fornax »

The difference is that the two things you mentioned are clear cheating. The XP grabs I'm talking about are more subtle and are gotten by performing tasks on the battlefield that aren't necessary for winning the match but are plausible and easily added into one's tactics if you know what I mean. Setting the enemies on call or using a hex editor is something I have no interest in doing but doing unnecessary scans, etc is something that I can fall into.

Ideas for consideration...

1. In factory: Highlight heat reg locations on titan while mousing over heat regulator types (color location green if space is available, yellow if not).

2. Similar to how quantity of ammo is selected when placing a machine gun, allow selection of capacitor when placing an engine:

Capacitor for MOROLA M1
o None
o 5 PU (1 Slot)
o 10 PU (2 Slots)
o 15 PU (3 Slots)

Engine capacitors are fed surplus PUs and are drawn from whenever the engine is unable to supply max charge rates to systems. Capacitors are engine-specific; a Krios K4 capacitor can store 8 PU/slot.

3. New armor "Ebsonite" or somesuch. Absorbs energy from EM weapons, making it available to the titan (no damage taken). 0.40 AP/mm, 120% Heat, ? Weight, ? Bulk. Allows for energy-relaying tactics on the battlefield.
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Stuff like repeatedly crouching/standing

Maybe these should only give you XPs if the titan has damaged actuators?
Iceman
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

After all, you don't get XP for hitting shutdown titans, or for dodging when not in danger of being shot at, etc.
Jocks can practice crouching and standing during training, just like shooting at immobile targets - and they don't get XP for that.

As for healing, maybe only for extreme cases, like when bleeding or dizzy.

Return to “Titans of Steel - Warring Suns”