Partial solution to convoy routing problem

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

rmonical

Partial solution to convoy routing problem

Post by rmonical »

The idea is to find a solution that can work without a code change - just scenario design.

I tried to play with this in v104 but could not create a country.

The solution takes several parts:
- Create Canada and allocate 20 of the British Colony PP to Canada.
- Create South Africa. Route India PP to first to South Africa then to Britain. This accomplishes another reasonable goal to double the amount of required shipping since double convoys are required.
- British Colonies should be at least a level 20 supply source. Maybe higher. Get the supplies to Egypt from India/Australia.
- Once South Africa is created then we can test whether supplies sent to South Africa can be sent on.
Rasputitsa

RE: Partial solution to convoy routing problem

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: rmonical

The idea is to find a solution that can work without a code change - just scenario design.

I tried to play with this in v104 but could not create a country.

The solution takes several parts:
- Create Canada and allocate 20 of the British Colony PP to Canada.
- Create South Africa. Route India PP to first to South Africa then to Britain. This accomplishes another reasonable goal to double the amount of required shipping since double convoys are required.
- British Colonies should be at least a level 20 supply source. Maybe higher. Get the supplies to Egypt from India/Australia.
- Once South Africa is created then we can test whether supplies sent to South Africa can be sent on.

Where there's a will there's a way, hope the devs will fix it, or that this plan will work.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

rmonical,
A clever fix but for those of us who can't get the editor working this is no fix at all. Doomtrader has to fix his horrendous programming mistake regarding British Colony convoys especially. He needs to undo the damage he did in 1.03 and return to how convoys worked in 1.02, they went around Africa and not through the Med.
Omnius
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

He needs to undo the damage he did in 1.03 and return to how convoys worked in 1.02, they went around Africa and not through the Med.
Omnius

Bigtime agreement on this.

Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

Hi, I have modified the Grand Campaign scenario based on rmonical idea (a simplified version).
I have created four ports in the Atlantic for British Colonies. They do not represent actual colonies (maybe Canada is the exception), but alternative routes for convoys to G.Britain.

Impact in gameplay:

Allied player
: By choosing the port of departure, now has five main routes to send convoys from colonies to Great Britain. Choosing the arrival ports will give aditional "subroutes".

Allied AI: the AI routine does not change. She randomly creates convoys from british colonies to a british port, crossing the Mediterranean; but for each such convoy, she will simultaneously create four convoys across the Atlantic to the same port. The original 20 production points sent across the mediterranean are changed to 6 points for each convoy (1 mediterr.+ 4 Atlantic).

German player: Must cover more sea zones with raiders, to confront a major number of smaller and scattered convoys.

German AI: I have changed nothing. Advices are welcome.

I have uploaded only the needed files to overwrite into the Grand Campaign scenario folder (backup advised):

Map.win: added four one hex isles on the verge of the atlantic for the new ports.
cities.csv : setting the 4 new cities (ports) in the Atlantic.
sea_nodes.csv: setting the 4 ports as sea nodes.
sea_edges.csv: connecting the 4 ports to the adjacent sea nodes.
events_41_british_colonies.xml: make the AI to send convoys across the Atlantic.
event_files.txt : tells the game to read the modiffied british_colonies event file in the scenario folder, not the original one in the events folder, preserved. It is assumed that the scenario is in the default folder, otherwise you should edit the event_files.txt file.

download

Attachments
untitled113.jpg
untitled113.jpg (426.37 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks, great work, I have concentrated on 'Fall Gelb' and 'Gotterdammerung' as my basic scenarios, so will see if I can work on those. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Peter123

Post by Peter123 »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Thanks, great work, I have concentrated on 'Fall Gelb' and 'Gotterdammerung' as my basic scenarios, so will see if I can work on those. [:)]

Thanks; the files I have uploaded are common for all big scenarios, except the map (map.win) wich is different for each one.

I have updated the link above, adding the edited maps for Fall Gelb, Barbarrossa and Gotterdamerung. Just copy the common files in the correct scenario folder, then add the included map.wim for this scenario and edit the
event_files.txt to change the line: "data\scenarios\1939 Grand Campaign\events_41_british_colonies.xml" with the actual scenario folder.
If I have not made some mistake, it should work for these scenarios just like the Grand Campaign.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Peter123

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Thanks; the files I have uploaded are common for all big scenarios, except the map (map.win) wich is different for each one.

I have updated the link above, adding the edited maps for Fall Gelb, Barbarrossa and Gotterdamerung. Just copy the common files in the correct scenario folder, then add the included map.wim for this scenario and edit the
event_files.txt to change the line: "data\scenarios\1939 Grand Campaign\events_41_british_colonies.xml" with the actual scenario folder.
If I have not made some mistake, it should work for these scenarios just like the Grand Campaign.

Thanks again, [&o] also see request in mods section [:)]

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3000238

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Peter123

Hi, I have modified the Grand Campaign scenario based on rmonical idea (a simplified version).
I have created four ports in the Atlantic for British Colonies. They do not represent actual colonies (maybe Canada is the exception), but alternative routes for convoys to G.Britain.

I should visit this forum more often. Wow, thanks!

Return to “Time of Fury”