Improved AI Mod

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

Xilmi

Improved AI Mod

Post by Xilmi »

I have made a mod that improves the AI by quite a bit.

I can't post a link due to forum-restrictions but you can find it on the Slitherine-Pandora-Forums in their Modding section.
Ozymandias2

RE: Improved AI Mod

Post by Ozymandias2 »

Would you mind listing some details?
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

Sure thing.

I found that all the buildable items like buildings, advancements and units have a so-called strategy-score.
This score, depending on the nature of the item, is split up in several sub-categories.
But if all of these sub-categories are added together, the score would eventually be "1.0" for almost everything.
There, however, was one exception: The advancement to be able to water your units.
I figured that was because being able to do so was really important.

So what I did was going through all of those buildable-items-files and tweak the scores in a way to make the AI emphasize certain things over others.

I increased the values for most buildings and advancements so the AI would foucs more on its infrastructure.
This prevents them from massively falling behind in city-development in the later stages of the game, where some of the buildings really have massive impacts on the cities performance.

I also decreased the values of earlier weapons, armors and units compared to the values of later weapons, armors and units.
This makes the AI actually use the more modern and powerful designs instead of still just building very basic soldiers even in the third era.
This saves them a lot of credits in supply-costs and prevents them from losing whole armies to things like orbital bombardement.

A consequence is, that the AI will be slightly less agressive early on because it builds fewer units.
In the later stages of the game, however, it is much tougher to compete than it was without the mod.

First of all the AI will not start to fall behind in production and tech since it will have built all the usefull buildings.

And secondly: Facing Rank 15 units with 100+ Power is much scarier than facing a stack of puny Rank 1 infantry, where the individuals have like 4 Power and that die to 2-3 Orbital Bombs.
Ozymandias2

Post by Ozymandias2 »

Sounds great! Many thanks, and a great idea & approach. I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Oz
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

Thanks! I'd like to see some feedback from a veteran player.
Especially if it was someone who could beat "Very Hard", I'd really be interested if he can still do it with the Mod.

But that's true also for other levels of play. Like "I could consistently beat Normal but with the Mod I can't".

Or if, for some reason one considers it to be easier with the mod, I'd also like to know about it.

I personally haven't played long enough before the Mod. Only 3 games. Most of the knowledge of AI-weaknesses is what I had read on the forums and then confirmed in observer-mode, so I'm not really qualified to judge the efficiency of the changes like someone who has more playing experience.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”