Scenario 2 got me worried!!?? (no 39battalion pls)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pontiouspilot

Scenario 2 got me worried!!?? (no 39battalion pls)

Post by pontiouspilot »

I read a remark in another thread by happy-Hans that has me worried. I am Allies in Scen 2 DBB #29 against a good opponent. We are near the end of March '42. I am not sure my learned opponent will get Singapore. Assuming he does it will be at least June and thereafter he will find DEI a tough nut with lots of US air assets, artillery, AA and Brit troops. If he managed a full court press he may get Palembang/Balikpapan oil flowing by fall '42. He has Miri/Brunei. My problem flowing from the comments is that I assumed my opponent would by then be screwed and tatooing for lack of fuel. If I am understanding happyHans, is it the case that Scen 2 gives the Japanese player enough supplies and fuel such that he can coast much later than this? How long under Scen 2 can he get away without DEI oil, excepting the few drops from Miri/Brunei.????
pontiouspilot

RE: Scenario 2 got me worried!!?? (no 39battalion pls)

Post by pontiouspilot »

Do I have it right that DBB 29 has Scen 2 supply enhancements for Japanese player?
btd64

Post by btd64 »

From what I understand, DBB are not tied to Scenario 2. The Babes scenarios add smaller ship types that are not present in the stock scenarios. So I don't think you have to worry about the extra supply. But you never know....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

For your original post - yes, he does have larger stocks in the Home Islands and can afford to wait longer to get the fuel and oil flowing. Not a lot longer, but a month or two. A lot of Japan players seem to use this time to go on adventures elsewhere, and then come back for the SRA.
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Do I have it right that DBB 29 has Scen 2 supply enhancements for Japanese player?

Some DBB scenarios (I'm not sure which) removed refinery supply production, and increased the supply production available through LI instead.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Sounds to me like your opponent is screwed...
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

"Screwed"....I hope so but knowing little about supplies in DBB I became very concerned at happyHan's declaration in another thread that Scen 2 infuses the Empire with so much enhanced supply that all other things being equal the Allied player should fail!! That hasn't been my experience with pure Scen 2 so I was a little taken aback.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Sounds to me like your opponent is screwed...

Well, he is playing Japan.[:D]

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Take Hans' comments with a grain of salt.

Many players enjoy the challenge of scenario 2.

My position has always been that even stock scenario 1, which is the closest to historical, is somewhat easy mode for the Japanese because they "enhanced" the Japanese side to make it a viable side to play in a game.

The argument being that no one in their right mind would ever want to play a game with Japan limited to historical capabilities.

Again, my position has always been that scenario 1 enhances them enough and scenario 2 is an over the top easy mode version that allows Japan to steamroll.

Others here certainly disagree with my position.
Hans

offenseman

Post by offenseman »

Scenario 2 is indeed easy mode for most IJ players. But from what I have heard that comes at a price later in terms of having a lot of pilots use a lot of HI. That HI has to come from fuel (oil) and taking Sumatra/Balikpapan/Java so late means a lot less production time to build up stockpiles and ship liquid cargoes home. So Scen 2 may have additional stockpiles at game start, getting the jewels of the SRA is still of paramount importance. Like JocMeister said, your opponent may very well be screwed. Not in late 42 but in late 43.
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

DBB 30 = stock scenario 2

If you play DBB 30, go with version "C" that reduces cargo capacity by 30% across the board for both sides. Makes Japanese logistics more historical as you cannot run all over the map for too long and neglect the economic need to ship all those resources.

Note - all DBB "C" versions reduce cargo by 30% for both sides. Many players enjoy it more it forces Japan to devote more air to ASW duties to protect their more vulnerable transport fleet.
[center]Image[/center]
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

I am actually in a Scenario 2, DDB, C, pbem myself, allied player.

But I really struggled to find actual details on the difference between Scenario 1 and Scenario 2?
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

If it is March '42 and the IJ hasn't secured Palembang, and you have fortified it with good troops (a couple of OZ brigades)...the IJ is screwed. The swamp bonus with reasonable forts makes Palembang VERY difficult to take intact. As the IJ, you must target and secure Palembang early with minimal damage. As someone else noted, players tend to get adventurous in Scen 2 type scenarios and overlook priorities. IJ can't make it to '44 without Palembang oil in any scenario that I know of.

Good play on your part. If your opponent doesn't resign, you will likely have troops on the ground in the HI in '44. He's not going to have fuel for the IJN to resist you, and he's not going to have enough HI for overwhelming AC in '43 ... it is hard to overstate the importance of Palembang to the IJ war goals ...
Pax
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Thanks to all...although the answer is a little murky I am more enlightened than before!

The bottom line, as I take it, is that under DBB #29 unless he pops Palembang in next couple of months (ie. end of May '42) he will ultimately wither. I haven't been able to create Festung Palembang due to nagging air interdiction but Batavia will be very tough nut. From there I think I can destroy Palembang via 4 eng air if he takes it. Also, he may not get Sing as he shock attacked without being ready and he may have mortally wounded 2 full divisions.

Return to “The War Room”