Steve, please help us!!!!

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
dima

Steve, please help us!!!!

Post by dima »

Hi Steve,

You are our last hope keeping playing GTC ;)
Please fix accuracy of weapons against AVFs as that's a game stopping bug!

If you don't we will have to stop playing that great release and return to shitty TLD (even with hard-coded reinforcement bug) as TLD is the the least evil of all the bad re-releases by now :(.

If you don't reply shortly, we will start to post negative comments on GTC on every possible web resource :).

Hope for your understanding and that you can share some of your valuable time and fix that problem.

Please support that inquiry to Steve by replying here!
PztCrackwise

RE: Steve, please help us!!!!

Post by PztCrackwise »

I think if Steve goes through the "Hopefull fixes for next patch" thread, he will see what kind of improvements / fixes the community expects to see. I personally would like to see the multiplayer game crashing bugs getting fixed first. It is the single most annoying thing!

I really think this game has a lot of potential, but it definitely needs to get these bugs/annoying aspects fixed first.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

If you don't we will have to stop playing that great release and return to ****ty TLD (even with hard-coded reinforcement bug) as TLD is the the least evil of all the bad re-releases by now :(.
Speak by yourself, please do not put to all in the same bag. I do not go to return to TLD. I do not see a big problem with the accuracy from AT weapons.
dima

Post by dima »

I think if Steve goes through the "Hopefull fixes for next patch" thread, he will see what kind of improvements / fixes the community expects to see. I personally would like to see the multiplayer game crashing bugs getting fixed first. It is the single most annoying thing!

I really think this game has a lot of potential, but it definitely needs to get these bugs/annoying aspects fixed first.

They are into TBS now, so I believe if we don't push them (Steve) GTC will be same abandoned as COI/WAR/TLD/LSA/PITF before it ;).
dima

Post by dima »

ORIGINAL: Nomada_Firefox
If you don't we will have to stop playing that great release and return to ****ty TLD (even with hard-coded reinforcement bug) as TLD is the the least evil of all the bad re-releases by now :(.
Speak by yourself, please do not put to all in the same bag. I do not go to return to TLD. I do not see a big problem with the accuracy from AT weapons.
sux to be you, but yeah you've probably got used to such accuracy playing Star Wars...
keep on with 1946 :).
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

If you do not know how edit a excel file, it is not my problem.

You have not supported to other people at reclamations like this other times and now you want speak by all the people. You have not right for this.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Dima,

Thanks for your feedback. Weapon accuracy is fairly subjective when you experience it in game. I will pass along your feelings to Cathartes but I do not expect there will be significant changes in this area in the near future.

If some players want to create a mod where AT weapons are more accurate you can increase the accuracy of AP rounds for big guns in the weapons.txt file.

Steve
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

thanks for the reply steve........we thought it was hard coded? or at least thats what i thought i read some where?

it really is an issue with allot of CC players tho. it would be great if an effort could be made to fix the issue. subjective or not....its pretty unrealistic not to be able to hit targets / large targets at under 200m with a gun rd.
and its not really the AP rd accuracy were talking here....yes thats also an issue...its u cant hit a building with a tank gun at 200m. that doesnt make for good game playability IMO.
why was this issue allowed to be brought forward in more than one new game of CC? it was never an in issue in TLD but cropped up in LSA and now all the new CC's.
PztCrackwise

Post by PztCrackwise »

Actually, Cathartes replied to us on CSS that this gun inaccuracy thing was probably hard coded and recommended us to carry the issue over to you [:)]

I really hope you guys can fix this thing along with the other mentioned problems! [&o]
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

There have been no code changes in the hit-determination between Panthers and Gateway to Caen, so if what you're seeing is new behavior in GtC I believe it is data related. Weapons.txt and elements.txt are the primary places where this can be effected in the game data.

Other factors that effect 'to hit' calculations are soldier experience, morale, and suppression as well as visibility hindrance (from smoke or terrain). The first shot at a new target is penalized, but as I said this component of the calculation has not changed between versions of the game (since LSA as I recall).

Steve
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

thanks steve...but what were seeing is not new behavior. some of us have been complaining about it since and including LSA. im sure your aware of that.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

and im betting that its going to end up in your next CC...the bloody 1st.......a shame really [:(]
PztCrackwise

Post by PztCrackwise »

Panthers in the Fog also had this behaviour as far as I remember. I was too disappointed by that game so didn't even bother posting it back then. Steve, you have actually confirmed that nothing in the code regarding that has changed since LSA. And that's what Stiener says also.

It means something has definitely changed from TLD to LSA and into PiTF onwards. That's the piece in the puzzle! What has changed in the code? If I have understood correctly this "first shot is penalized thing" was perhaps not present in TLD and previous releases, or at least was not set to have such an impact! If you could just revert it to previous TLD levels...
TaigaFox

Post by TaigaFox »

So the first shot on a new target is "penalized".

Now we know thats something that was actually implemented by someone and not just an akward effect of almost two decades of tweaking on an old engine.

If it was put there by someone, it means it can be modified right ?

Anyways I paid for that game and I find that "penalizing" thing very annoying... And by the way your game is barely playable multipayer, keeps on crashing\freezing for whatever reasons.

Customers can "penalize" too in the future. $$$

Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Dima,

Thanks for your feedback. Weapon accuracy is fairly subjective when you experience it in game. I will pass along your feelings to Cathartes but I do not expect there will be significant changes in this area in the near future.

If some players want to create a mod where AT weapons are more accurate you can increase the accuracy of AP rounds for big guns in the weapons.txt file.

Steve

This is where I personally hate society as a whole.And can no doubt reinforce that as a whole society SUCKS!

On one side you have a group of people who make a game,market a game,sell a game.Even worse when you use a successful product and fuck it up.

On the other side you have a group of people who purchase the game based on previous success then play the game and then report the things they don't like about the game.

Matrix) We made it based on what we thought what you would like in a game and what we Hoped you would like in a game.
Consumer) makes post about what is wrong with game.
Matrix) No response.
Consumer)waiting
Consumer)waiting
Consumer)waiting
Consumer)waiting
Consumer)waiting
Consumer)waiting
Consumer)waiting
Consumer) More posts from other people pointing out a still upset product.
Consumer)Now he directs his comments to the highest up in said company.
Matrix)I'm sorry you feel that way but I can direct you to someone else in charge of that area or you can change it yourself if you don't like it.
Consumer) Oh Ok I'd love to do that,by all means let me spend a 1000 hours fixing what you WONT.And what no one else will have unless they download a Mod.
Matrix..........................
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Maybe LSA is the answer over PiTF or GtC???
- 1st shot kills can happen with AT/Tank guns
- 2 BG's can attack/defend a map (2nd actual provides units!)
- Direct connection without the broken forum multiplayer feature
- players can select individual units
- points can be setup for battles/campaigns (play like CC3/COI)

We lose the bigger map/tank graphics along with the better explosions but get a lot positive features back. Never understood why every CC game added things and dropped things instead of continuing to add to make a better game with all the options....
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

a better game with all the options....

This will be TBF. The Bloody Fifth.
Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

To be clear, there has always been an accuracy penalty to the first shot. But prior to the changes in LSA this penalty was relatively meaningless since nearly every shot ended up highly accurate and thus being a hit, and the game data was compensating for this by having overly-protective terrain.

The current penalty is to cap the accuracy of the shot to the experience of the soldier firing the weapon. Or for teams with a gunner and a leader/commander (which is the case for nearly all AT guns and tanks with a full crew) the higher of the gunner or commander's experience. A soldier of experience 3 or higher firing a first shot is still going to have a good chance of hitting, assuming the base accuracy is high to begin with (short range, accurate weapon, big target, no terrain / smoke / night effects, target stationary, no suppression, no high stress, etc.)

In armor / anti-armor engagements, a first shot miss was quite common, and even occurred in situations where the range was point blank. How often this happened is something we could go back and forth on all day -- i.e. it is pretty subjective. The other consideration for keeping first shot hits from being highly accurate is for game play -- it's just not very fun to have your tanks consistently explode before you even know there's a threat out there. It can and does still happen, it just doesn't happen every time.

I understand that some of you want this to happen more often when you are playing the game. I am trying to suggest ways you can get the experience you would like with the game as it exists. And that is by modding the data. But this behavior is not a bug and thus it is not something we are likely to patch the game for. If / when there is another update to Gateway to Caen we can revisit the issue.

Thanks,

Steve
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

so steve.....if your taking into account a BIG TARGET in the data calculation, then why cant you tweak that part of it when the target is a HOUSE?
my point in this thread isnt so much the fact that tank vs tank are missing on the 1st and 2nd and 3rd shot BUT that a tank or a gun will consistantly miss a HOUSE at near point blank ranges and miss it more than once or twice in a row....going wide...going over.
make the house a huge target in the data so we can hit it.
surely this cant be that hard to do???
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Consumer) Oh Ok I'd love to do that,by all means let me spend a 1000 hours fixing what you WONT.And what no one else will have unless they download a Mod.
For increase the accuracy from at weapons, you do not need 1000 hours, more or less five minutes with your eyes closed.;)

From my perspective I do not see these reclamations as more than personal tastes from the players and in the past, these matters were resolved with the mods.

Now I can see clearly how most of the people in CC games does not know how edit them. Nothing strange when Sulla and Matrix previously killed the CC modding community when they hired all the modders for the new CC games.

The most funny from all this, it is how now after years, Sulla is releasing all the stuff never finished by the people which they were working for him, unfinished mods and more, in fact I feel how he does not know what is releasing because I could see a Kursk mod made for CC5 in the CC3 section.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”