air transport (fuel) issue

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

cato12

air transport (fuel) issue

Post by cato12 »

any ideas why I cant fly fuel supply missions? when I select the air transport icon then shift right click on the unis on the map the select air unit window opens but there isn't any available units when I click on fuel.

the supply mission seems fine as there are available air units for that but not for fuel. im talking about the very start of a turn as well.

any ideas?

im playing the road to Leningrad scenario and its motorised and panzer divisions im trying to supply.
Oberst_Klink

RE: air transport (fuel) issue

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: cato12

any ideas why I cant fly fuel supply missions? when I select the air transport icon then shift right click on the unis on the map the select air unit window opens but there isn't any available units when I click on fuel.

the supply mission seems fine as there are available air units for that but not for fuel. im talking about the very start of a turn as well.

any ideas?

im playing the road to Leningrad scenario and its motorised and panzer divisions im trying to supply.
Cato,

Refer to those threads -

tm.asp?m=3575113&mpage=1&key=&#3575113
tm.asp?m=3446309

Air doctrine settings to be checked and if air-bases are 5MP towards the nearest railhead(s). There should be some info in the 'What's new...' as well; I recall they changed the system, to prevent gamey/ahistorical air 'refuelling'.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Cato,

If you fly multiple missions to the same hex the computer will include some fuel. Not much help, I know.

I think a major rework of the whole air segment is coming with 2.0. Living with WITE as is has its frustrations, I really like how they keep fixing it and making it better.
cato12

Post by cato12 »

We wont be seeing WITE 2.0 this decade so its a long while to wait.
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Has anyone else been able to game the system and get Bombers to drop fuel?I'm doing it on a regular basis on the latest patch.
morvael

Post by morvael »

What are the steps to do it?
BJP III

Post by BJP III »

This came up in the tech forum a while back:

ORIGINAL: BJP III

ORIGINAL: DorianGray

No German Air Base unit was adjacent to target hex, yet I have been allowed to select German bombers to drop fuel after toggling Fuel <--> Supply mode a random number of times.

Patch notes are as follows:
3. Air transport of fuel and supplies is changed as follows:
1) Level bombers may not transport fuel
2) Only 25-75% of supplies are dropped successfully, while only 16-50% of fuel is dropped successfully (was 33-100% for both)
3) Hexes that contain or are adjacent to a friendly air base unit (that is in a valid hex for air operations) will receive all of the supplies and fuel that are dropped (no drop attrition as stated in item 2 occurs)

Nothing in the patch notes states that Level bombers may transport fuel.

I have seen this too. In trying to replicate it, it seems to appear only when LBs only (rather than a mix of LBs and TRs) are available. Then, I can toggle between supply and fuel and have them drop fuel.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

Still playing with flying jerry cans? I thought that bug was squashed some time ago.

[:)]
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Has anyone else been able to game the system and get Bombers to drop fuel?I'm doing it on a regular basis on the latest patch.

I checked on this and the system works fine. I was not able to use bombers for fuel drops no matter how often I switched from fuel to supply.

Is it possible that you are using different game versions? Maybe your opponent uses an older version?
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: Oshawott

I checked on this and the system works fine. I was not able to use bombers for fuel drops no matter how often I switched from fuel to supply.

Is it possible that you are using different game versions? Maybe your opponent uses an older version?
That's possible. I'll check with Sillyflower and see. I haven't used it that much because its largely useless to me right now. I can't get it to do it consistently but I'll post a screenie next time I do.
Disgruntled Veteran

Just did it in single player version 1.07.15. Is that the latest patch? My new PC doesn't have paint..ill try to load it up or check the variables. IT didn't let me do it at first..I had to try several times.

Edit: Ok this should be it

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (386.97 KiB) Viewed 148 times
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, .15 is latest at the moment. There is Paint hidden in Windows 8, please check terje's post tm.asp?m=3644720
Disgruntled Veteran

Bump
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Ok this should be it

Could you show us a screenshot in which all the bombers are selected for fuel delivery? In this screenshot only one Ju-52 is selected.
Disgruntled Veteran

ORIGINAL: Oshawott
Ok this should be it

Could you show us a screenshot in which all the bombers are selected for fuel delivery? In this screenshot only one Ju-52 is selected.

I tested it to be sure. It dropped 400-500 tons of fuel to said to division. I don't know why it wont do it for all divisions just some..maybe its distance idk. I checked afterwards and the division had 999% fuel so it definitely works.

Attachments
Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg (498.52 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

I was able to replicate this bug multiple times and I believe I have found the cause. When you stack a regular (white) airbase with another army airbase (colored) you are able to use bombers for fuel delivery.

Attachments
Fuel Bug.jpg
Fuel Bug.jpg (358.41 KiB) Viewed 148 times
morvael

Post by morvael »

Very interesting. Will try to find out how this happens. Many thanks for finding how to replicate this.
morvael

Post by morvael »

They show on list, but are you sure they will really fly? Try to deselect all transports and then see if you can drop some fuel.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

They show on list, but are you sure they will really fly? Try to deselect all transports and then see if you can drop some fuel.

The bombers are able to drop fuel with or without transports selected. You can easily replicate this by starting a new Grand Campaign and moving 17th Army airbase onto the adjacent air base.

Attachments
FuelBugT1.jpg
FuelBugT1.jpg (401.7 KiB) Viewed 148 times
morvael

Post by morvael »

Thanks, I think I have fixed that for 1.8.0 now, but I will do some more tests to confirm that.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”