Map Texture-Alpine-Coastline Mod

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shellshock

Map Texture-Alpine-Coastline Mod

Post by Shellshock »

Yeah, I know. We need another graphic mod like Tina Turner needs another hero. [:D]

In any case, this mod attempts to provide some new terrain textures to try to add a little variety. I also redid all the coastal hex bitmaps to be consistent with the inland textures. In addition I redrew the coastlines thicker to try and to beef them up a little. I also experimented with getting a directional light shadow effect with the alpine bitmaps.

Due to the unwieldy size of the coastal bitmap files in particular I had to place this mod on a separate page for downloading. The link is here. http://pyxis.homestead.com/janmayen.html

There are four areas--Coastal, Alpine, Terrain and Icons. The Icons one is optional. Download and unzip them where convenient. Back up your current Bitmaps folder just in case.

Place the 8 Coastal Bitmap files (Pages 01-08) into your current Coastal Bitmaps folder (\World in Flames\Bitmaps\Coastal Bitmaps folder). It will replace the 8 "Page" bitmap files there.

Now place the contents of the Alpine Bitmaps folder into your current Alpine Bitmap folder (\World in Flames\Bitmaps\Alpine Bitmaps folder). It'll replace the 24 current Alpine bitmap files.

Then place the contents of the downloaded Terrain Bitmaps folder into your current Terrain bitmaps folder (\World in Flames\Bitmaps\Terrain Bitmaps folder). It will replace the Clear 0-6, Desert Mountain, Desert, Forest, Ice, Jungle, Mountain, Sea, Swamp,and Tundra bitmaps. I didn't do anything with the Lake and the weather and various fortification bitmaps, so they stay as is.

Here's a sample of what it all looks like...

I also threw in some new icons for ports and resources in the Icons Bitmap folder if anyone is interested. These you can add or not add as you wish.

In any event, have a Happy Fourth of July weekend. Even if you don't live in the USA. [;)]

WarHunter

RE: Map Texture-Alpine-Coastline Mod

Post by WarHunter »

Shellshock,

You are quite the artist. [&o]
Thanks for putting this package together.

Happy 4th of July to you.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

you're back!! And with a smash...

The new artwork is great, very sophisticated. As if this is the original!

Many thanks again for your work on the Khaki in Flames medal and ribbon. You disappeared just before the ceremony!

I am sure Warspite will love the new pin-up as well, after he recouperates from enjoying the Fra-Ger match of this evening.
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thank you for making this available to us. [:)]
Richard
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

Thanks guys! My pleasure. [8D]
Many thanks again for your work on the Khaki in Flames medal and ribbon. You disappeared just before the ceremony!
Yeah. About that period I got weary of all the Sturm und Drang concerning this game's development. I think I've come to accept the fact that finishing up a game of this type is gonna be a Wagnerian opera. It won't be over till the Fat Lady sings. [:D]
I am sure Warspite will love the new pin-up as well, after he recuperates from enjoying the Fra-Ger match of this evening
It does seem like a certain type of control flag sprouts over every nation in the world every four years. They're even showing up in America. [;)]

AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Just installed this on my Essen copy. What a work! (about 3 weeks, I gather) And another nice lady for Warspite as well. Her picture was called Babs-with-Guns.gif, but there was only one. Is she part of a squad?

I like the new artwork, although I will have to think about the desert. It is a bit darker now than its original version. Becomes almost Orange, although that might be the influence of the current control flag in the hex I live in.

Attachments
2014_07_06..p_Window.jpg
2014_07_06..p_Window.jpg (272.17 KiB) Viewed 304 times
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Shellshock,

Did you use any special program to do the coastlines?

Marcus Luttrell
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

I like the new artwork, although I will have to think about the desert. It is a bit darker now than its original version. Becomes almost Orange, although that might be the influence of the current control flag in the hex I live in.

I certainly have to respect that. You Dutch know your orange. [;)]

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Shellshock,

Did you use any special program to do the coastlines?

I used a vector drawing program called Coreldraw to re-draw the coastlines. I originally tried using Adobe Illustrator wanting to learn it as well, but it just gave me fits. There is a free vector program out there called Inkscape that probably does the job just as well as those two. [8D]

Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

Suberb work. I think I like the cracked desert texture the best. [8D]
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

Suberb work. I think I like the cracked desert texture the best. [8D]
Thanks!

Just for fun I've been experimenting with desert terrain more. I have a texture here which resembles rippled sand. Unfortunately, to my eye it also resembles those rippled potato chips of which we Americans are so fond of. [:(]

ImageImage

Maybe it's high time for me to march out into the Sahara and do some field research. [:'(]

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

These looked great to me, except like the boardgame map, I have trouble discerning between forest and jungle.
Paul
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

These looked great to me, except like the boardgame map, I have trouble discerning between forest and jungle.

You mean those palms and other greenery?

Shellshock - do you have the file for the rippling sand? I think I like it.
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

Yeah. Jungle is problematic. It's basically a forest, but a different kind of forest. I'll have to see if I can come up with something better in the future.
ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Shellshock - do you have the file for the rippling sand? I think I like it.

No problem. I just gave you your own Orange [8D] bar on the download site if you wish to try it out. Since you already have the other files you just need to put the new desert bitmap file in your Terrain Bitmap folder, and put the new Coastal Page bitmaps 4 to 8 in your Coastal Bitmaps folders. They're the only coastal hexes pages that have desert terrain. Anything north of the Page 04 bitmap doesn't have any.

If you see any anomalies or problems with it let me know. [:)]

Cheers
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Maybe if forest had patches of clear in it (glens and meadows & such). But partial small land/sea hexes would still be a problem.
Paul
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

Maybe if forest had patches of clear in it (glens and meadows & such). But partial small land/sea hexes would still be a problem.

Maybe if just applied to the interior hexes a broken forest effect might work. Here's a stab at such an effect anyway.

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

That's pretty good. I'd like to see a screen shot of one of the places in the Pacific that has hexes of both types, including partial land hexes.
Paul
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

That's pretty good. I'd like to see a screen shot of one of the places in the Pacific that has hexes of both types, including partial land hexes.

Here's a shot of Northern Australia and the Timor Sea.

WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Like the textures you put into the various terrain. On my monitor things were just a little to green.
So i played around with the jungle, forest and clear terrain.

Olive drab was added to the jungle. Brightened the forest, and lightened the clear terrain.
Also found the minor ports to easy to miss with the light blue. Especially when they are in the water. Made them more white.

This is what it looks like on my monitor.
Gonna have to learn how to use that vector program in inkscape. Thanks for the fun work.

Attachments
terrain01.jpg
terrain01.jpg (804.15 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Marcus Luttrell
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

Here's a shot of Northern Australia and the Timor Sea.

Looks good, but I have trouble with the islands to the northeast as to whether they are all jungle.
Paul

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”