Ammo ship explosions - ot

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

slane_slith

Ammo ship explosions - ot

Post by slane_slith »

I was playing the other day and thought I saw it say that one of my subs had torpedoed an AE. Upon closer inspection I was wrong but it got me to thinking would I have gotten a "tremendous explosion" message or something similar. Has anyone "got" an AE before?

Yes I'm bored
"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph" -Thomas Paine
pmelheck1

RE: Ammo ship explosions - ot

Post by pmelheck1 »

Yes I got an AE bought from Matrix Games. Best game I ever bought. Sorry couldn't resist...[:)]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

The magazine explosion event is random and can happen to any ship (or is it warship) usually resulting in it sinking right away. I do know that a hit or torpedoed tanker or ship carrying oil or fuel has a greater chance of burning. But I don't think that an AE type ship has a greater chance of explosion. In the eyes of the AI, it is just carrying supply and is treated no different than any other cargo vessel.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

You'd see something like "massive internal explosion aboard AE Pyro" or something to that effect. You occasionally get it with carriers that have ammo or fuel start cooking off.
slane_slith

Post by slane_slith »

ORIGINAL: mullk

Yes I got an AE bought from Matrix Games. Best game I ever bought. Sorry couldn't resist...[:)]

I expected better from someone who visits this forum. Who am I kidding it was funny.

I figured since they spent most of their time disbanded they're hard to hit. Something special for getting one would be nice.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

About two years ago I had a AO explode and sink in harbor during unloading. No indication it was a torp. Just went GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

You'd see something like "massive internal explosion aboard AE Pyro" or something to that effect. You occasionally get it with carriers that have ammo or fuel start cooking off.

Ammo and Fuel Storage explosions are separate entirely.

"Massive explosion damage" is something that can happen on any ship, really.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I usually see it about aircraft carriers......lots of fuel vapors all around!
slane_slith

Post by slane_slith »

I've been lucky, other than my AK drivers banging into each other like my wife in a parking lot I've had no catastrophic ship losses. Now that I've tempted the fates all my carriers will sink next turn...
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

Not sure if true or not, but I did two years on USS BUTTE (AE-27). Someone said that if we went BOOM in the middle of the ocean (just the conventional stuff, not the special weapons) it would take eight minutes for the waters to calm.

But I never had a problem sleeping on top of 6000 tons of munitions.
Bill Goin
slane_slith

Post by slane_slith »

I remember reading about an AE off Palau that got hit by a kiatan. It blew a 30 foot hole in the seafloor and the pieces that were recovered were what landed on nearby ships.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

There were a couple of munition ships that exploded in port. One I think was in Oakland, CA. I may be misremembering.

Another was an LST in Pearl Harbor that was being loaded for an upcoming invasion. It took out the LST and did a lot of damage to other ships nearby. I think it sank one or two of them too.

Wasn't there also an ammunition ship hit off Sicily? Again, I may be misremembering.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
sanch

Post by sanch »

A good piece of Halifax, NS got flattened in 1916 by an AE that exploded (wrong war, I know, but same idea).
tc464

Post by tc464 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

There were a couple of munition ships that exploded in port. One I think was in Oakland, CA. I may be misremembering.

Another was an LST in Pearl Harbor that was being loaded for an upcoming invasion. It took out the LST and did a lot of damage to other ships nearby. I think it sank one or two of them too.

Wasn't there also an ammunition ship hit off Sicily? Again, I may be misremembering.

Bill

West Loch, Pearl Harbor and a couple months later Port Chicago Naval Magazine in Port Chicago, CA. There were other, smaller ones too like Dutch Harbor, Naples Italy.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

There were four US ships exploding in port by accident in WW2:

- AE Mount Hood at Manus 1944 with about 3.800 tons of ammo on board

- LST-353 at West Loch, Pearl Harbor 1944 loaded with mortar ammo (six other LSTs and a bunch of LCTs lost as well)

- SS E.A. Bryan in the "Port Chicago disaster" 1944, over 4.600 tons of ammo flattening the town (that is near Oakland)

- AK Serpens exploding while loading depth charges at Guadalcanal 1945

Other ships carrying munitions exploded as results of enemy action. SS Mary Luckenbach, carrying 1000 tons of TNT, exploded after an aerial torpedo hit when on the Murmansk run with convoy PQ 18 in 1942. SS John Harvey exploded in Bari (Italy) during a German air raid, spreading mustard gas (sent to the ETO "just in case") through the city, and Liberty Ship Robert Rowan, loaded with ammo for ground forces, exploded at Gela, Sicily in 1943 after being hit during an air raid. Liberty Ship S.S. John Burke was carrying ammo when hit by an Kamikaze off Mindoro in Dec 1944, blowing up in a tremendous explosion.

The British lost SS Fort Stikine which caught fire while docked at Bombay, 1.400 tons of ammo exploded, causing over a thousand casualties and sinking or damaging 21 other ships in port.

There surely have been more. There are amazing pictures of the explosions on the net. I surely never want to witness something similar - except in AE.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: sanch

A good piece of Halifax, NS got flattened in 1916 by an AE that exploded (wrong war, I know, but same idea).

That's the largest accidental explosion in history, IIRC.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The Sasinena explosion in Long Beach, CA in 1976 was a pretty big bang.

My family lived about 30 miles away and it shook the house quite strongly. The shock was as strong as the 1971 earthquake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Sansinena

Bill
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

As I was doing my part to contribute to tomorrow's bad smog, it dawned on me the coincidence of this thread coming around on the American 4th of July. Washington State is pretty crazy with the fireworks. My SO is a pyromaniac and likes things that go boom. She claims she's still 17 in a lot of ways. Sometimes I believe her...

Bill
czert2

Post by czert2 »

Well, since port explosions did realy damage to its surrondings - it is here chance to add if ship explode in port it will damage his surondings too ? so far it is limited only to that ship.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

US combat engineers managed to blow up the town of Dawson Ck, BC (Mile 0 Alaska Highway) while building that road. That must have been '42.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”