A nasty little Slukan arm lock

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Gregorovitch55

A nasty little Slukan arm lock

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

I'm playing Securan. I am on one side of the map and this Sluken lot are on the opposite side well out of range for any sort of meaningful hostilities at this stage. The blighters declared war on me pretty much the moment I discovered where they were and they want 1,000,000 to peace out and show no sign of being reasonable. The only diplo actions they are interested in for any value is me imposing trade sanctions on my best friends.

This is blackmail, plain and simple. They have no ability to prosecute meaningful war against me at that distance. As Securan I obviously do *not* want to be in a war for any length of time without reason 'cos of the huge war weariness penalties and I certainly don't want to screw up trade with or piss off my friends.

I can tell you these Slukens are in for it when I get half a chance, but in the meantime, anybody got any ideas as to how I might escape this nasty little arm lock?
Unforeseen

RE: A nasty little Slukan arm lock

Post by Unforeseen »

Diplomacy wise i think the game is a bit too limited..i'm not sure if there is anyway to really fix the situation. You might just have to put together an armada of ships armed with bombard weapons and go wipe out all of their undefended colonies and demand peace. That's what i would do anyways.
t1it

Post by t1it »

I suppose they DoW'd you because you have weak military? AI is lured to DoW you if you have too few ships and I'm pretty sure they take technology into account as well.
So man up your manly female race and build strong fleets. Enough so you can peace with them.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Or find something that is theirs, destroy it, and then suggest peace. The AI seems to keep a score when it comes to war status, and lowering it can be quite easy. As long as they are somewhat withing range, at least.

I helped a friend that had a somewhat phony war. The enemy arrived to bust a mine and wanted 2.5 million for peace. He killed their strike fleet, we watched the peace value, and it was like 6000. They accepted peace outside the trade screen.
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

Trouble is they're like 10 sectors away on the other side of the map otherwise I'd go trash a few stations and a fleet. I'll have to hope building up a bigger military will do the trick I suppose. Toerags.
Tormodino

Post by Tormodino »

No chance to get their neighbours to attack them? It's usually fairly easy to get people to beat up on the bugs. As Securans you should have at least some friends.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Don't you have a tech advantage over them? If so then why not let the tech prices work to your advantage, and once you've gotten peace and killed the war weariness, you can build up your forces and start looking a bit less like a target.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

I'm with above who advised you to build up your fleet strength. Peace through strength. Also, getting others to DOW on bugs will also help. How do your covert assets compare to the bugs?
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I still think you should just go on a bug crusade and exterminate every insect in the entire galaxy.
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

Well, while I was distracted with a little war to assimilate the local Dhayut, they suddenly offered peace. Perhaps, as some of you have suggested, because I built a new fleet and retrofitted some new kit on my existing ones.
Kilravock

Post by Kilravock »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

I still think you should just go on a bug crusade and exterminate every insect in the entire galaxy.

Standard operating procedure with Bug Wars is glass them from orbit. They will glass your planets and enslave/exterminate your citizens. And if you conquer them they will hate you and revolt. Nuke them all.

Seriously, military score is a major factor in how the AI behaves. Build more ships and bases. Make sure your colonies have garrisons. The AI will be less likely to go to war with you then. If they do then destroy their fleets and bases. They will be more willing to peace out then.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Show them no mercy, for you shall receive none.
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

If you don't mind abit of micromanagement, build well-equipped gas mining stations along the route to their side of the map
Done right, you'll have the logistical range to strike at targets, but in retaliation, they can only attack those stations, which you should ideally have well defended (unless they have friends they can refuel off of)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Gregorovitch55

Post by Gregorovitch55 »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Show them no mercy, for you shall receive none.

I shall consider it both a duty and a pleasure.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”