Production Phase - Oil Reorganization Bug

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

tacfire

Production Phase - Oil Reorganization Bug

Post by tacfire »

I am encountering a reproducible oil reorganization bug during the production phase.
(Note: I am playing with version 1.2.0.3 of the game with oil rules enabled).

THE BUG:
During the oil reorganization phase Japan controls 2 oil production resources (1 synthetic oil in Tokyo, and 1 oil in Balikpapan).
If Japan uses these 2 specific oil resources to reorganize its units, then the result will be that these Japan's controlled oil resources will disappear in the future.
(That is - they will no longer be counted during Japan's future production planning phases after the Japanese complete their reorganization phase.

The only work around for this the bug is for Japan to use its on-map saved oil resources instead to reorganize its units.
But if Japan uses its controlled oil producing resources, then they will disappear totally from all future production planning screens.

Attached to this post is the game file.

Also below in this thread are 4 screen shots which demonstrate how to reproduce this bug.

Attachments
Japan_Oil_Reorg_bug.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
tacfire

RE: Production Phase - Oil Reorganization Bug

Post by tacfire »

The first screen shot shows Japan's controlled oil production resources. Everything is correct.

Attachments
Jap_Reorg_bug_1.jpg
Jap_Reorg_bug_1.jpg (830.28 KiB) Viewed 162 times
tacfire

Post by tacfire »

The second image shows the exact 2 oil resources that you need to use to reproduce the oil reorganization bug.

Attachments
Jap_Reorg_bug_2.jpg
Jap_Reorg_bug_2.jpg (914.33 KiB) Viewed 162 times
tacfire

Post by tacfire »

In the third picture you can see that I used the 2 oil resources mentioned to reorganize the Japanese units.

Attachments
Jap_Reorg_bug_3.jpg
Jap_Reorg_bug_3.jpg (910.79 KiB) Viewed 162 times
tacfire

Post by tacfire »

Now in the fourth screenshot, you can see what happens after I complete the Japanese oil reorganization phase and advance the game forward.
Japan's controlled oil resources have vanished completely and are no longer being counted by the game!!!

Attachments
Jap_Reorg_bug_4.jpg
Jap_Reorg_bug_4.jpg (786.29 KiB) Viewed 162 times
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Good post. Steve is in the middle of this part of the code, so this report is right on time. I will point to it in the Beta forum.
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Could it be that the game doesn't "refresh" the oil holdings until a later phase? I mean, it took the "saved" oil but the game hasn't had a chance to save oil for the next turn yet. Advance your game and let us know if they show up later.
tacfire

Post by tacfire »

When I first discovered the issue, it was almost an hour later into playing the game - during the "final production planning phase".
Japan was still missing its controlled oil production resources on the production screen during this phase.
So I reported the issue here.

Now I just tried to replay the game turn a second time, but farther forward into the future as Bommerrang suggested.
I just found out that the controlled oil resources do return to Japan's production screen - They are recounted right after Japan spends its build points later on in the production phase.

So I guess they do come back later on.
I am not so sure now that this is a bug, but maybe the production planning interface screen could be improved to avoid the confusion.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

This doesn't look like a bug to me. During Prelimenary Production, that oil is available, either for use in production, to save or to use for reorganisation.

In the Final Production, that oil isn't available anymore, because it is used. After production of units has been done, those oil resources should again be visible in the production planning sheet for the next turn.
Peter
tacfire

Post by tacfire »

Edit - wrong post
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: tacfire

When I first discovered the issue, it was almost an hour later into playing the game - during the "final production planning phase".
Japan was still missing its controlled oil production resources on the production screen during this phase.
So I reported the issue here.

Now I just tried to replay the game turn a second time, but farther forward into the future as Bommerrang suggested.
I just found out that the controlled oil resources do return to Japan's production screen - They are recounted right after Japan spends its build points later on in the production phase.

So I guess they do come back later on.
I am not so sure now that this is a bug, but maybe the production planning interface screen could be improved to avoid the confusion.
Internally, the program marks oil resources and saved oil points as 'Used' when they are consumed during the Use Oil Reorganization phase. Any oil that has been Used does not appear on the Production Planning form. At the start of the next turn, all the oil resources are internally marked as 'available', so they "come back" in future turns.

I prefer the processing the way it is. If the used oil points showed up on the Production Planning form, players would want to save them or send them to some factory for production. It is cleaner to simply remove them for the form - since they have been consumed entirely for the turn.

Note that if you use less than 0.5 of an oil point to reorganize units, it will not be marked as 'Used' and you will still have it to either save or send to production. But those are the WIF rules - not my doing.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”