TCR Science Fiction Multiverse Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

tincanrocket

TCR Science Fiction Multiverse Mod

Post by tincanrocket »

DALEKS vs STORMTROOPERS vs SARDAUKAR vs JEDI vs CYLONS vs ROMULANS vs KIRK vs ADAMA

Greetings fellow space cadets and lovers of Distant Worlds. I'm pretty new to Distant Worlds, and am newly registered on the forum, so I apologise if I make any mistakes of etiquette. If anyone would like me to remove this mod or post, please message me. I just lost my original thread post, as I am not allowed to add links to this message, so am unable to link directly to other forumites' threads, and have had to alter my links below, but hopefully you will be able to work out what they should be ;)

I largely put this mod together for myself, as I wanted to play the game with some classic sci-fi races, but it has grown and grown (largely due to the excellent mod-friendly modular design of the game) and I thought I would share it with the community, in case any of you would enjoy using the mod as a whole or any of its elements.

Features new ship graphics, new music, UI changes, new characters, new troop graphics, and new races.

The following races have been added to the game, complete with ship-sets and around 250 characters in total:

The Galactic Empire and Rebel Alliance from Star Wars
The Colonials and Cylons from Battlestar Galactica
The Federation and Dominion from Star Trek
The Daleks from Dr Who
The Landsraad Coalition from Frank Herbert's "Dune"

The mod incorporates some graphics I have created myself, but much has been sourced from other fantastic mods found on the web and on these forums, so would not have been possible without the great work done by the following forumites:

Kalthaniel - numerous ship and station images
Black Alpha - sound effects
Martian - the lovely new planet graphics and other GUI changes
Das123 - the slick chrome interface and resource icons
Igard - Star Trek ship graphics and troop icons
TheRevanchist - Star Wars ship graphics
jamthree - a whole load of ship and station graphics

Thank you all, and I hope I haven't forgotten to mention anyone here - please let me know if I need to add you to the list or if you would like me to remove any of your work from the mod.

Other graphics were sourced from: CCG-Gamez website (character portraits), DeviantArt (librarian-bot for Dalek images and unusualsuspex for several excellent orthos of ships), and general Google image searches. Again, I have probably forgotten to credit some artists here, so please let me know if you need me to add your details, or if you'd like me to remove any of your content from the mod.

In addition to the above, I've made a few changes to the tech trees, resources, components, and facilities, and have tested the game for balance - it seems okay to me, but please feel free to advise me on any changes you think should be made. I think that there is a hard-coded maximum speed for the hyperdrives in the game, as I was trying to add massively fast drives to mirror the Guild's fold-space technologies, but it doesn't appear to have worked - there's a new Landsraad-only component called 'Prescient Navigators' that requires Spice Melange - I'll continue working on it to see if I can sort it out, but if anyone has any bright ideas please let me know.

I need a bit of a break from modding (so I can do some actual gaming!), but I will continue to tweak this and work on it, particularly if anyone else finds it interesting. For the moment, you can download the latest version of the mod here:

I am not allowed to post links, so it's a bit of a puzzle for you ;) - I'll break it into separate lines and see if that works (replace DOTs with . and remove any linebreaks ans spaces):

https
://
dlDOTdropboxusercontentDOTcom
/u
/66837752
/SciFiMultiModDOTzip

Installation - extract the folder to the Customization directory in your Distant Worlds install (e.g. steamapps/common/Distant Worlds/Customization) and choose the SciFiMultiMod theme from the Distant Worlds game main menu.

A final word of thanks to Matrix Games and the developers of Distant Worlds - thank you for this amazing game [&o]*

*not many thanks for the rather annoying no link rules that deleted my post several times and meant it took ages to get this thread working, though ;)
solops

RE: TCR Science Fiction Multiverse Mod

Post by solops »

I did something like this a couple of years ago. The thread with the link seems to have disappeared. It was just a skin, with ships, troops and racial icons from Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 and some others; no gameplay changes.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Maponus

RE: TCR Science Fiction Multiverse Mod

Post by Maponus »

This looks just like what I was looking for - but it says "can't open race image 22.png". There is such file. [&:]

Return to “Design and Modding”