New Pacific Map (note:alot of images and huge)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

New Pacific Map (note:alot of images and huge)

Post by Rising-Sun »

Been working on maps for WitP:AE for sometime, believe my last one was around three years ago and didnt come out well. So about a week ago i came up with an idea and seem to work, but it take ALOT of timing to do it. I was browsing on the net and see if i can find high-quality maps through out the Pacific and cant seem to find the right one. Til i find something look really cool on Bing's Satellite Map and really look nice and the tough parts is that the map itself (game) isnt align properly and i had to tilt/rotate it around 20 degrees. So much adjustment is needed to make it look accurate and wanted to aligns with bases as well. It going well, but very slow and dont expect this to be ready anytime soon.

Later on i will figure out how to add roads, rails, urbans, etcs without ruining the background. Also trying to get feedback from Microsoft for using their maps for copyright issues. Update, Microsoft let me use these maps, just need to put their logo on the bottom-left of the Pacific.

That what it look like now for six days work...

After adding the pic above, here a screenshot (1024x768) ingame...

After adding the pic above, here a screenshot (1440x900) ingame...

Finally the huge 1920x1080 ingame...
RogerJNeilson

RE: New Pacific Map-WIP

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Have you looked at this thread....

tm.asp?m=3599038

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Have you looked at this thread....

tm.asp?m=3599038

Roger

Yes i have, but wanted something more taste to it, esp for underwater. He did a good job on it, related to another game though. I am using mine along with satellite maps.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Here more screenshot, after been putting some times into it...

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

reserved
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I decided to close this mod, since no one is interesting and take alot of works to do it.
----------------------
Had couple of pms, that they didnt want me to give up on this project. So it will be end of the year (hopefully) when i finish this. If you guys have something to say or share some thoughs, feel free to ask, dont send me pms.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

darbycmcd

Post by darbycmcd »

I am very interested! Sorry I didn't post anything before, I just didn't have anything valuable to add. But I can imagine it sucks to be pounding away at something this big and feel like there was no interest. But FOR SURE I think your mod looks amazing and would install it the first hour it was available.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Thank guys, well most are concerning about how to tell if this is open terrains, rough/mountain, etcs. The sallow waters would be grey hexes and later on i will figure out the minor/heavy urban areas as well roads, etcs. That probably why most fans arent interesting in this map. Also some may not be able to read it well, since its alittle darker or color blind.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Both this and the other geographic map are beautiful, but the lack of visual clues as to the game defined terrain in any given hex is a turn off for me.
Hans

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Been putting some work into this, got alittle going so far. Going to add another ingame screenshot compare from 1024x768 and 1440x900 resolutions.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Here a screenshot of what I been doing so far, still a lot to do and taken a lot longer than I expected. So I wont be giving up this project if I gotten this far.

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

For some reasons I cant seem to update this when I need to correct it in preview, so I had to make another input here...

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: chemkid

wow! really still a long way to go... [X(] but it's coming together.
please, if you like, drop me a pm if you need a layer with location names and stuff -
i'm sure you'll do one yourself... just offering stuff that's already done. [8D]

cheers!
chem!

Thanks I will, I can only do a little each day. Just wondering should I put names on the map, like major cities, landmarks, etcs. I don't want to over do it. Still need to work on road/RRs and other things though.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

wow....
I can't imagine how much time this would take to do by each hex/cell.

if there is a way to overlay hex-sides or hex-centric dots, the color of the dot being the type of terrain of that hex, would be helpful for the player. Overall, very interesting but a bit dark. Can you lighten up the whole palette or maybe it is a function of each graphic card setting and your screen capture program.

Please keep working - I have switched over most of my games to the chemkid's and would give your version an install to see how it plays when done.

Good luck and thanks for your effort.
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: DanSez

wow....
I can't imagine how much time this would take to do by each hex/cell.

if there is a way to overlay hex-sides or hex-centric dots, the color of the dot being the type of terrain of that hex, would be helpful for the player. Overall, very interesting but a bit dark. Can you lighten up the whole palette or maybe it is a function of each graphic card setting and your screen capture program.

Please keep working - I have switched over most of my games to the chemkid's and would give your version an install to see how it plays when done.

Good luck and thanks for your effort.

So far I have two color hexes, one for deep waters and the other is shallow usually around islands or inlands. Yes it is a little dark, I may brighten it some or you can use increase brightness.

But not just this map, mini map, weather map, background environments as well units too. When I get there I will make a video of it and see how that come out to.

When I mess around on this in game, it feel like a whole new game here and very excited to try it out. But it will take awhile and I want this to be accurate as possible.

Also I have to do a lot of pixels too, a lot of places that I had to trim, blend with background. That why it take longer to do, doing hexes is the easy part for me.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”