old guard guys ?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

mike1984

old guard guys ?

Post by mike1984 »

What ever happened to some of the older guys that used to be staples of this board? Trust me, I totally understand the whole "life" thing. I disappeared for about 2.5 years before my recent return. But I wasn't nearly as much a part of this place as guys like Veers or Silvanski or desert.
shunwick

RE: old guard guys ?

Post by shunwick »

L'zard ... JAMIAM.... White Rabbit.... the list goes on and on....

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

Still playing, but due to other activities not much time to mod or test. Waiting for 3.5 3.6 or whatever new incarnation there will come
The TOAW Redux Dude
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

I don't know whether I'd fall into this category (I've considerable time invested in TOAW on a number of fronts (hehe)), but I'd happily eat the label 'grognard'.

I look in from time to time, even help out occasionally, but I haven't held out much hope for TOAW since 3.4 for a variety of reasons- commercial, legal, product direction, perceived conflicts of interest among them. Add to that a number of brilliant project managers (IMO) have come and gone for their own reasons (perhaps related to the above), which doesn't bode well for any software development project, commercial or otherwise.

So I just moved on- World of Tanks piqued my interest, Scourge of War too if I ever get time to look at it closely.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

I am also still alive and more than just kicking; while in the US I always try to organise a TOAW meeting, still improving my Kharkov '43 and once 3.X beta is out I am starting to take on the 4 battles of Kharkov project with 2.5km/hex and 12hrs/turn. I am also Beta-testing Ardennes '44 with TomC for the master, Rob 'Doc' Kunz himself. OK, now the football world cup and I had to cut down on TOAW a bit ;)

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
mike1984

Post by mike1984 »

ORIGINAL: General Staff

So I just moved on- World of Tanks piqued my interest, Scourge of War too if I ever get time to look at it closely.

Scourge of War was one of the contributors to my absence here. I have Gettysburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, and the Pipe Creek expansion, along with a bunch of extra scenarios created by users. The mods are fantastic. The Civil War has always been my true historical focus, so it was nice to finally get back into a game of that era. The last I did of that was the old Talonsoft Battleground series.

Let me know if you ever want to chat about SOW. Maybe one day we can have a fight. They take about 45 min for a division vs division sized battle. Get yourself set up here: http://www.sowmp.com/gcm
Jeff Norton

Post by Jeff Norton »

Still here - not part of this testing, but playing still, and hoping the release is soon.

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Me too, but I'm waiting for the new patch to get going again.
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

ORIGINAL: mike1984

Scourge of War was one of the contributors to my absence here. I have Gettysburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, and the Pipe Creek expansion, along with a bunch of extra scenarios created by users. The mods are fantastic. The Civil War has always been my true historical focus, so it was nice to finally get back into a game of that era. The last I did of that was the old Talonsoft Battleground series.

Let me know if you ever want to chat about SOW. Maybe one day we can have a fight. They take about 45 min for a division vs division sized battle. Get yourself set up here: http://www.sowmp.com/gcm
Hey Mike, thanks. Will do.

I bought the whole caboodle on special (150th Anniversary). I've Talonsoft BG (all) also. And Sid Meier's (all) which I thought (think) just brilliant. Between ACW & WWII (& I and Napoleonics and...)...
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

L'zard ... JAMIAM.... White Rabbit.... the list goes on and on....

Best wishes,
Steve

I'll take a couple of these;

Last time I heard from White Rabbit (aka Richard Bradley) he had terminal cancer. That was 2009.

My last recollection of Veers was first he was trying to quit the internet, not just TOAW, and shortly after that he got caught cheating in a TOAW match. I imagine that turned him off things a bit.

The names I'd mention- Mike Vargas, Vincent Prochelo, Yves Le Rhun, Pelle Holmen- are probably not ones that many people here will recognise. It's a minority of people who remain interested in a community or a game for multiple years, and this one has some survivors from last century (check my registration date- that's from the original Matrix TOAW forum after we got kicked off Talonsoft's site). We're not doing too bad.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

Still playing and still designing.
Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.
newtigersqn

Post by newtigersqn »

Been lurking here the last little while.
Don't really play PBEM anymore, but might be willing if a new/improved version comes out.
I used to think I was indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Sorry to hear that about White Rabbit, he made interesting posts.
Raver508

Post by Raver508 »

Great thread, and its wonderful to see so many old names popping up. As for me, I'm still playing TOAW, but there are some pretty good alternatives around too.
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

Any suggestions? Thanks

TomC
ORIGINAL: Raver508

Great thread, and its wonderful to see so many old names popping up. As for me, I'm still playing TOAW, but there are some pretty good alternatives around too.
Raver508

Post by Raver508 »

Well I don't want to hijack the thread, but have a look at Gary Grigsby's recent stuff for good operational level fare. And advanced tactics for scenario creation. Nothing quite as flexible as TOAW though.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

ORIGINAL: Raver508

Well I don't want to hijack the thread, but have a look at Gary Grigsby's recent stuff for good operational level fare. And advanced tactics for scenario creation. Nothing quite as flexible as TOAW though.

Beside Vic' s Advanced Tactics check out his two Decisive Campaigns which further refine this concept.
I have all my TOAW scenarios updated to 3.5, but waiting for a playable 4.5 version.
So I have started converting these scenarios to DC. Operation Weserubung is just about finished and it actually plays better than the TOAW version....

Erik
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Nygaard
I have all my TOAW scenarios updated to 3.5, but waiting for a playable 4.5 version.
4.5? I guess 3.5.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I am way ahead of you [;)]

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”