US Campaign CA2 - Seizing Kalbe

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

IronMikeGolf

US Campaign CA2 - Seizing Kalbe

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Second Scenario. Game options checked are Allow Staff Fire Support Control and Allow LOS checks.

6 hours were spent refitting. I spent max time and max VP to refit all units. US is down 1 x M1A1(HA), 4 x M2/M3, 1 x Vulcan, 1 x Kiowa,and a JAFO section (Cav Sct dismount)

Time is 1900 hrs.

The first time I played this scenario, I had a meeting engagement in Kalbe, which I lost. I just ran M1s and M2s to there via Hasty movement and between a bunch of Russian tanks and Hinds, got kicked out. They did hurt the enemy enough that they could not take Sittensen.

So, I expect a Tank Regt (possibly reinforced by an MRB) to attack down the river valley. I think there are three enemy COAs (Courses of Action):
1. Hey diddle diddle, up the middle: attack along highway L142, through Kalbe to Sittensen
2. If Kalbe can't be taken, bypass to the north, then attack Sittensen
3. If Kalbe can't be taken, bypass to the south, then attack Sittensen

I think if I establish a strongpoint in Kalbe, I can deny COA 1 and 2 with forces there. Some assistance will be needed to handle COA 3, as much of the high ground south of and across the river from Kalbe and Tiste. That approach is visible from the level 3 hill east of Hamersen.

I am going to defend there with the tank company and 2 mech companies of 4-41 IN. Since this scenario inexplicably has no mortar plts for the two inf battalions, I am cutting 2-66 AR mortars to 4-41 IN. There is going to be a short range battle as soon as forces get to where they can see the river valley east of Kalbe.

Attachments
KalbeIPB.jpg
KalbeIPB.jpg (242.49 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

RE: US Campaign CA2 - Siezing Kalbe

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Mines:

A/4-3 FA will fire two FASCAM missions. One is to neutralize the bridge and the other is a likely river crossing site if he attempts to bypass the first minefield. These will have plenty of direct fire systems covering them, so I expect lead recon elements will die trying to breach and leave them intact. This should cause the lead tank battalion to get stack up in the open.

The first minefield is the critical one. It will prevent the enemy from getting into Kalbe before me. If this battery runs out of FASCAM ammo, then I might get the second minefield fired by another battery on turn 2. I'll have to see how ammo goes.

Attachments
KalbeIPBFASCAM.jpg
KalbeIPBFASCAM.jpg (134.91 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Smoke:

Lead elements can assault from start positions and arrive in the indicated hexes below by 1923 hrs. Mortars will fire 3 smoke missions. I adjust the delay so the last smoke impacts at 1922 hrs (1 minute before last units arrive). That gives the most time coverage for the rounds.

I should get several benefits here. Units will get to their ordered locations and assumed Hold, since there will be no return fire. Any Hinds in the area will have to get in the same hex to engage. That will make them much more vulnerable. Tanks, Brads, and Chaparrals will shoot through smoke.

Attachments
KalbeIPBSmoke.jpg
KalbeIPBSmoke.jpg (152.96 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

In the above map, you will see movement arrows to the wood lines northeast of Kalbe and southeast of Sittensen. These are recon elements and they are tasked with confirm/deny on enemy COA2 and COA 3 respectively.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

1916 hrs

4-41 IN on the western outskirts of Kalbe and first mortar smoke impacts. I only got one minefield east of Kalbe. Another battery is also out of FASCAM, but it fired both its missions. The remaining battery has at least one more mission. Depending on the situation, it will lay the other minefield east of Kalbe. I won't shift the minefield.

Attachments
Kalbe1916hrs.jpg
Kalbe1916hrs.jpg (131.98 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

1920 hrs

First enemy spotted. No US forces spotted yet. Second smoke mission fired.

Attachments
Kalbe1920hrs.jpg
Kalbe1920hrs.jpg (97.78 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

1921 hrs

A mech plt and a tank plt have occupied their defensive positions in Kalbe and can now observe the main approach from the east. A plt on the high ground northwest of Kalbe is engaging the lead recon element. Two units in the minefield. Recon and something else. Unknown at this point. Hind spotted and the ADA sections are 1 hex (Chaparral) and 2 hexes (Vulcan) away from their defensive positions

Attachments
Kalbe1921hrs.jpg
Kalbe1921hrs.jpg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

You are much braver than I am. I can't remember the last time I played, for any side, where I had a stack as large as the one you have at Kalbe.

One single artillery mission could make you cry.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

It is temporary and I sure would not do it without the smoke!
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

1956 hrs

New map with stream names!

The lead tank bn of the enemy tank regiment has been destroyed, along with a couple of recon elements. 6 tank companies remain in the regiment and 5 of them have been spotted along with the rest of the regimental recon. So far, it looks like COA 1. The minefield is unbreached.

A 6 ship MI-24 flight attacked and had to close to point blank range, due to the smoke. All 6 were destroyed at a cost of a 2 x Vulcan, 5 x Bradley, and 3 x Inf.

Scouts are in position to detect a bypass attempt. Mortars are out of smoke.

Cycle time is 29/37. Enemy casualties are 70 tk/29 mech/5 inf/14 helo

Attachments
Kalbe1956hrs.jpg
Kalbe1956hrs.jpg (193.3 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

2025 hrs

HQs for the enemy regiment and remaining its tank battalions have been destroyed. They sortied a 2 ship MI-24 flight. It was destroyed over Kalbe and it inflicted no friendly casualties. The minefield remains unbreached and it looks like this attack will fail.

Cycle time is 29/36 and casualties are 115/44/5/16.

Attachments
Kalbe2025hrs.jpg
Kalbe2025hrs.jpg (208.14 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

2048 hrs

Enemy casualties reach 70%. Remnants of 2 tank companies attempt the COA 2 bypass and are destroyed. It was 63d Gds Tk Regt in the north, 61st GTR in the center, and 62d GTR in the south. 62d and 63d GTR both completely destroyed. 36 tanks remained from 61st GTR and all are consolidated into a single ad-hoc company under control of the Battle Group CP.

1st Bn, 248th MRR attacked in the south and was rendered comabt ineffective. Remnants folded into 2d Bn, 248th MRR. 2d Bn is largely intact.

Attachments
KalbeEnd.jpg
KalbeEnd.jpg (188.43 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

End state in Center and south. Rating 83% - Decisive Victory. 20% casualty rate.

The Hinds tore me a new one in the center. I did not use enough smoke there and he got to use his standoff range.

Attachments
CA2SouthEnd.jpg
CA2SouthEnd.jpg (272.96 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Jeff
Sua Sponte
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Oh, yeah, forgot list the "money left on the table".

One FA battery had smoke. I don't think it had fired any, but I was getting ready to use it in the center.

Not one round of ICM fired.
Jeff
Sua Sponte

Return to “After Action Report”