Babylon 5 Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Imperius

Babylon 5 Mod

Post by Imperius »

Well, I made this mostly for my own sake, but there's no reason not to share I figured ;)

It's a Babylon 5 mod, based originally on the shipsets done by Simulation01 (can't post a link to the thread, as I'm still a new user).

Races include:

Abbai
Brakiri
Centauri
Dilgar
Drakh
Drazi
Gaim
Grome
Human
Hyach
Markab
(Mechanoid)
Minbari
Minor Races (Catch-all group for all the minor races...)
Narn
Pakmara
(Securan)
Shadows
(Shakturi)
(Sluken)
Vorlon
Vree

The races in parenthesis are in just because I needed 21 races to avoid redoing the racebias.txt files and such.

I've also done race files and policy files for each one.

Shipsets as mentioned are mostly from what Simulation01 posted on his thread, and for the blanks, I filled them in as well as I could, using the shipsets available in DW: Extended. For those, I'll copy the credits from that mod:

Thanks to Kalthaniell for the use of his ship sets.
Thanks to WoodMan for the use of his ship set.
Thanks to Robocrab for the use of his ship sets.

For characters, I made a few custom ones (Sheridan, Garibaldi, Bester, etc) and then used the images from another character mod which I unfortunately can't seem to find here on the forums anymore? If anyone knows who deserves credit for that, let me know, and I'll post it here.

The mod includes a base scenario called "In the Beginning..." - it is right before Earth meets the Centauri, and are given advanced hyper drive technology. So keep an eye out for those Centauri ships sailing around the Sol-area - once you meet them, an event fires, and you get hyperdrives and a free trade agreement with the Centauri! You also start with a colony on Mars, and a few mining stations around the solar system, but it's basically an "Age of Shadows" start for humanity.

I made the galaxy map based on a Babylon 5 map of each race's sphere of influence, so it should be (more or less) accurate. I did take some creative license and made a "Union of Border Worlds" based on minor races to the "south" of the humans, otherwise that area of space would have been too easy to colonise and expand into.

I don't want to post unnecessary spoilers, but basically the Vorlons and Shadows are both tech level 8, the other races tend to be tech level 1 & 2, the Narn and Centauri are tech level 3, and the Minbari tech level 4 IIRC with a few select extra military/shield techs for the major races. Earth also starts with some ship-size techs, so their max size is 400.

But yeah, keep an eye on the Shadows in the far north! They start very weak, but they ARE an expanding empire, and as their population and fleet grow, they could be serious threat to the galaxy.

I can't seem to post links or upload files larger than 10mb since I'm a new user, so here is the link from sendspace:

sendspace dot com/file/7alkgn (you'll have to figure out how to write that in your browser as I can't post links directly, as mentioned)

(Do not download the accelerator if that is an option, de-select that, and just download the file itself - and be careful of clicking on the right link, there may be some ads that pretend to be download links). If anyone wants to re-post from a better link, I'll include it in this first message.

Oh, and this mod is pretty much "as is" - I'm posting it because it's playable and I think DW definitely needs a B5 mod, and I enjoy it so far. I doubt I'll put much more extra time and effort into it, however, so anyone else is welcome to post updates or improvements to it as they like :)
Vargius

RE: Babylon 5 Mod

Post by Vargius »

Great work. Will definitely check it out when I have time to test it.
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

Hmm, strange - 20 years into a game with this mod, it seems like its laggier than usual. Ships do not move smoothly at all, either zoomed in on system view, or even on galaxy view.

Could it be because some of the ship sizes from the Babylon 5 shipsets I used are larger than 300x300 - sometimes up to 1200x800?

Or is it because I set the AI to build lots of troops in their policy files?

Is anyone else experiencing this if you've tried this mod?

Edit: Oh, and when I attempt to resize the ship images to 300-range, they end up with white background in game, oddly enough...

2nd Edit: Hmmpf, turns out that sometimes new pirate factions spawn with up to 2000 ships! I saw at least one in my latest game; guess it's a bug, not sure if its localised to my Babylon 5 map though. Just keep an eye on the pirates, and if you see one with thousands of ships, go into the editor and delete that entire faction. It seems to have solved the lag problem at least.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Check your hosting service please, clicking the download button I get 2-3 virus reports both of the times I tried it.
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

You have to be careful what you click on, like most free download links. I've heard other report like this from sendspace, but it's the ads or the optional download accelerator software (de-select that). There should be an underlined text link for the file itself, linking to sendspace - do not click on the ads.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Only clicked the B5 DL link, see the file progress in the lower left. Then got this...

Imperius

Post by Imperius »

It says the filename is setup.exe - there is no setup.exe in the mod file I uploaded.

De-select the option for the download accelerator, I'm 99% sure that's the issue.
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

New download link, in case I'm wrong about sendspace:

gamefront dot com/files/24326979/Babylon+5.rar

I'm actually very pleased with the Babylon 5 map/scenario I made :) 28 years into the game, and besides having had to delete 3 pirate factions that had too many ships, it's working out great!

It's very challenging, as for some reason, population growth is much lower than in other games (1-4% on average, though on Earth due to a medical academy wonder, I get 16%).

I'm a pretty good Distant Worlds player, and at this point, I usually am by far the strongest empire - but not so for the Earth Republic here.

Besides having skipped the Dilgar War (they're too powerful for me at the moment, I've got money problems and can't support both a huge fleet AND a huge army), the Narn and Centauri are about twice as powerful as me also. The Minbari about 4 times as strong, and the Vorlons and Shadows with their tech level 8 ships I doubt I can even touch yet.

It's looking to be an epic galactic conflict... I may have to take on the Dilgar next, even though they outnumber me on every level (economic, military) once I get a tech advantage with new shields and torpedoes. Their 30 billion population should double my tax revenue, and then at least I'll be on a par with the Centauri and Narn... the Minbari are starting to covet my lands and resources, however, and while I have a trade treaty with them, I'm not sure how long that will last.

But yeah, starting scenario as Earth Alliance is highly recommended, it came together very nicely. I like a challenging game, and this is definitely a challenge... for the first time in ages, I think I might actually lose, or at the very least, get some severe defeats inflicted on me before Earth finally rises to the top over the next few decades ;)
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Started playing with the B5 mod. The 'setup' was trying to be installed from a blank unnamed window, even though I had pop-up blockers installed. Sorry to be a pain

Always loved the B5 universe and a B5 mod will likely get heavy play. :)

Maybe you might want to send a message to 'Simulation01', http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2466692
They had some of the B5 ships sets at least partly finished.
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

I based my mod on Simulation01's shipsets, and gave credit in the first post :)

We have Babylon 5 shipsets for Earth Alliance, Shadows, Narn, Centauri and Minbari. The rest are scrounged together from other mods and vanilla.

And enjoy! I'm having great fun with the mod/scenario so far - into year 54, got my economy stabilized finally but wow... it's a challenge :) Minbari have gone mad and are the galactic superpower; the Narn beat the Centauri more or less, before going on an expansion spree as galactic contender number 2 (if we exclude the elder races), before the Minbari stopped them... and the Shadows and Vorlons have been engaged in an intergalactic struggle forever now, with neither side gaining ground.

The Dilgar must have had like.. 1000 ships atleast, they just kept coming, and in the end I had to orbital bombard their 40k size 45 billion population homeworld down to 16 billion just to secure my "western" front :(

Let me know how your playthrough goes, if you get around to it!
Ross_145

Post by Ross_145 »

Was looking forward to your mod but its crashing on load screen when I try to run your map. ive tried both download locations but im getting the same result. this could be because of an update to the game what version did you create your map with? if it was 1.9.5.5 could you attach another copy of your map I want to see if I can swap it out with the download file
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

I'll post an updated scenario file tomorrow or the day after, with the new patch :)

Just had a 60-year run-through with the old version, and I identified some things that need fixing. For example hte Vorlons were the galactic bullies, while the Shadows were saints in comparison. Also, the Minbari were overpowered, it seems, and the Centauri under-powered.
Isimiel

Post by Isimiel »

see if this guy will let yeah use his ships http://humonb.deviantart.com/gallery/44 ... D-pictures
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

Wow, those look great!

Unfortunately, though I'm pretty experienced with most kinds of modding, graphical modding escapes me :(

And I don't think it's as simple as just making a 300x300 png file to get ships to show up properly in-game. But if anyone else wants to make the shipsets, I'll be happy to include them in the mod.
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

New scenario with minor tweaks based on my last playthrough; Vorlons less expansionist/psychotic, Centauri a bit stronger, etc.

Also made with latest patch, so it should work for those who couldn't get the old version to work.

http://www.gamefront dot com/files/24336068/Babylon+5+v0.2.rar
robske

Post by robske »

Imperius, thought of posting your mod on ModDB?

For the rest, I'm about to try your mod. I love B5, and I'm very interested in how this mod plays and feels like :)

Also, if you didn't see it yet: tm.asp?m=3627355&mpage=1&key=

Very useful tool for modding :)
Scifi 4X game geek...

The universe has its mysteries which can only be solved through the curiousity of intelligent life...

My lesson about life:
Keep the past in mind, act in the present, look to the future.
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

I'd post it on Moddb, but this is kind of a half-hearted attempt at modding...

Made a B5 mod for my own use, and decided to post it... but I've just spent the last year first helping to make a Lord of the Rings conversion for Crusader Kings 2, and then a Birthright (D&D) conversion for CK II also - so I'm not about to embark on another major modding project at the moment :)

I just thought DW:U needed a B5 mod, and when I saw that Simulation01 had many of the shipsets, it took me 2-3 days to put a decent version together.

It plays pretty well, imho, though of course with only a "starting" scenario things can get a little off track.

If anyone wants to take over and make a scenario for the Shadow War, that'd be great, I'd like to play it also!
robske

Post by robske »

I'm getting some weird error about nullreference to an image. Had that with prev version too. Its tryin to load a Babylon5old theme on loading the preset galaxy. Any clue what that's about?
Scifi 4X game geek...

The universe has its mysteries which can only be solved through the curiousity of intelligent life...

My lesson about life:
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

Oh, right!

That's cause I had 2 versions of the mod while working on it, the one I use to play is called "Babylon 5old" (long story, but it had to do with one folder being buggy, and I had to retrace my steps and work on the old functional version).

I just changed the folder name before I made the .rar file to Babylon 5, to avoid confusion... guess that messes it up! I had no idea that would be an issue.

For everyone trying to play, change the /customization folder name to "Babylon 5old", and that should fix it ;)
robske

Post by robske »

Yep that fixed it :)

Also, I swapped my human race pic to this:
Scifi 4X game geek...

My lesson about life:

Return to “Design and Modding”