Openning up rivers for inland ports

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Buck Beach

Openning up rivers for inland ports

Post by Buck Beach »

I know it can be done, I just don't know how. PWHEX editing? Any help appreciated.

Buck
Lokasenna

RE: Openning up rivers for inland ports

Post by Lokasenna »

I think it is the "pwhex" file, yes. You need to change the hex sides to be of the navigable river type. Look at the areas in China (Shanghai to Hankow, Hong Kong to Canton) and Palembang, and Calcutta/Diamond Harbour (especially Symon's changes to that last area in a recent thread by Obvert in this subforum). That should give you an idea.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I think it is the "pwhex" file, yes. You need to change the hex sides to be of the navigable river type. Look at the areas in China (Shanghai to Hankow, Hong Kong to Canton) and Palembang, and Calcutta/Diamond Harbour (especially Symon's changes to that last area in a recent thread by Obvert in this subforum). That should give you an idea.

You could compare Portland (?) Washington in stock-as-shipped on the CD to the current pwhex. That port was officially patched to allow ARDs made at Portland to get out to sea.
The Moose
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I thought the ARDs built at the Vancouver Ship Yards (Portland hex) were moved to Seattle?

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I thought the ARDs built at the Vancouver Ship Yards (Portland hex) were moved to Seattle?

Bill

I actually thought so, too.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Where is the tool that allows one to do this?

Buck
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

There is a beta pwhexe editor, but some people reported their anti-virus software had problems with it (though false positives with this kind of software is a known problem with AV software).

Here is the format for the file:
http://www.urban-netz.com/AE%20Map%20File%20Formats.pdf

Discussion of the editor beta:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2632394

You need to change the hexside type from river to navigable river for each hex from the ocean up to the port.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Thank you, I'll play with it.

Buck

Strike one. Error message that editor couldn't find the file to load I re verified I placed it in the same file as the editor.

Edit two. Found out what I was doing wrong.
Symon

Post by Symon »

I have a copy of version 7 if you want to try that one. Too big to attach, so maybe pm is better. Let me know.

Editing for rivers is almost counter-intuitive. Ships do not travel “along” rivers, they cross navigable river hexsides. That means a zig-zag path that may cause other unintended conflicts. If you would show the map area you are trying to modify. I’ll see if there is a reasonable way to do it and make instructions/suggestions. Think you might want to see it happen, the first time around. Second time will be easier.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”