Eliminating Routed Units.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Champagne

Eliminating Routed Units.

Post by Champagne »

Is there some tactic or technique for eliminating Routed enemy units, rather than merely Displacing them?

My question arises as I review my own Noob play and ponder ways that I could improve Axis progress during the opening turns of the Grand Campaign.

I think that a Routed unit takes more losses every time it displaces, so, perhaps pursuit of them is sufficient. Still, if the "core" of the Routed unit escapes, it's easier for the Soviet to form a better "new" unit from that core, I think, based on my reading of the manual.

Thanks.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
loki100

RE: Eliminating Routed Units.

Post by loki100 »

the only way to manage this is to encircle them but not to move adjacent. The next turn they are 'isolated' and thus eliminated if beaten in combat.

Probably only really feasible on T1-2 when there should be decent gaps in the Soviet lines so you can try to sweep around displaced units.

carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

If you surround them and they do not recover from the rout, they automatically surrender in your initial phase. So you would not even have to move adjacent to them or attack them.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

For my purposes as Axis vs. AI, I try to apply pressure all along each front and do not chase any particular unit to destruction. One gets plenty of destroyed units and opponents total losses are enormous. Strategy for Axis requires early acquisition of big population & industrial centers (L'grad, Moscow, S'grad) and then the Russian will fall through attrition.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”