[DWU] Helpernoid race addition mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

gerishnakov

[DWU] Helpernoid race addition mod

Post by gerishnakov »

Hello all, this is the first mod I've uploaded and, so far as mods go, it's fairly basic.

I feel that vanilla DWU, great as it is, suffers from a dearth of machine races. I like the concept of the Mechanoids, but it irks me that they don't (and can't, given their race narrative) play a greater role in the general game, outside of the story. I decided to make a simple spin-off from the Mechanoids, creating a race out of the Helpernoids, as described in the Galactopedia. My Helpernoids are almost identical to the Mechanoids, but with a few key differences.

For your downloading pleasure then, I present the Helpernoids:

"Helpernoids are the assistance robots for the Mechanoids – a very strange and ancient race of machines. Helpernoids are usually only to be found building and maintaining machinery for the Mechanoids.

No one seems to know why or how but some Helpernoids long ago became separated from their Mechanoid masters. These independent Helpernoids are not at all reclusive like the Mechanoids. They describe themselves simply as guardians of the galaxy, working to maintain peace and stability across the stars.

Helpernoids expand steadily into unoccupied territory, monitoring galactic relations and nurturing independent life. They are friendly and welcoming – usually eager to offer a helping hand to any race that asks."

Differences to Mechanoids in bold

Extremely intelligent (140)
Very passive (75) Mechanoids extremely passive
Slightly cautious (95) Mechs extremely cautious
Extremely friendly (140) Mechs extremely unfriendly
Extremely dependable (150)

Starts with Way of the Ancients government
Cannot change government

Can expand Mechs cannot expand
Cannot be pirate

No resource bonuses in v1

Race victory conditions:

Lose the fewest troops in the galaxy 40%
Lose the fewest ships and bases in the galaxy 30%
Build the Bakuras Highspeed Shipyards 20%
Start the fewest wars in the galaxy 10%

Mechs have no victory conditions

I absolutely welcome comments and criticisms on this effort; thanks for reading!

Attachments
race_22a.jpg
race_22a.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 81 times
gerishnakov

RE: [DWU] Helpernoid race addition mod

Post by gerishnakov »

Please see the attached zip file for the mod.

You could run this as a separate mod (you may need to copy in the other races' design templates, policies, and race files to the relevant folders). Otherwise I recommend copying the relevant files and information into other mods, making necessary changes to some of the names and information.

In its vanilla state this mod is not compatible with Haree78's DW Extended mod, but it can be made compatible with pertinent changes. Any help with this given on request.
Attachments
Helpernoidv1.zip
(673.3 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Very nice!
Old............but very fast
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

It is a very interesting concept. There are some modded mechanoid races out there (most notably the Ortain from DW Extended), but these ones are... intriguing, I guess. This idea has a soul.

Also, they're scary as f*ck. :D
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

Return to “Design and Modding”