Homesytem planets are known by circles

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

janamdo

Homesytem planets are known by circles

Post by janamdo »

Strange that you start on a home planet in a star system and that all surrounding planets are at forehand are there, because they are circled ?
Using the galaxy map and go to another starsystem shows only the star.
Would it not be more realistic to build a explorer ship and discover the another planets around your homeplanet?
Discovery of a planet gives a circle and you can choose what name to assign

Should be easy when you send the explorership to another star system that all circles are shown of trajectories of the planets in that system.. then you know at forehand how many planets are in this system..not realistic..no you must discovery every planet with the explorer ship.
Do i miss something [:)]
Osito

RE: Homesytem planets are known by circles

Post by Osito »

The likelihood is that any civilisation capable of interplanetary travel would already have identified all the planets in their own solar system (any larger ones anyway). It might make sense that planets in other star systems are unknown, but I'm not sure it would improve gameplay if you had to find the planets in each system. I remember playing a game which worked like you're suggesting (can't remember which one - there have been so many! - Space Empires, perhaps?), and I didn't really get on with that feature.
Osito
janamdo

RE: Homesytem planets are known by circles

Post by janamdo »

Yes, it is a slow start when it is unknown what resources are around the home star, but there is no spaceport at the start..so i must assume that interplanetary travel is started from the homeplanet and launched from there a spaceship.
That make sense that the home system is explored for the planets .. only for planets then ?
Only planets (1) do have a trajectory around the star and the moons(2) , asteroids fields (3) and gas clouds(4).. ( 4 types of resources ) .. other resources must then further be discovered by a explorer ship.
As soon a explorership can travel outside( condition..a hyperdrive?) the home star system there are more resource targets to discover.

First task is explore the biggest resources in the home star sytem..well take all planets to start with i think ..later you can search to other resources

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”