Playing without house rules?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Boomer Redleg

Playing without house rules?

Post by Boomer Redleg »

So some of you are playing without house rules. I've read a lot of recommendations and see in many AARs that a lot of the house rules seem to relate to bombing altitudes and using political points.

For those of you that are playing without house rules, are you seeing any problems with your game in which you would consider using house rules in the future?

Does playing without house rules give more of an advantage to either the allies or the Japanese?

Kaboom!

- See ya
Bullwinkle58

RE: Playing without house rules?

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Boomer Redleg

So some of you are playing without house rules. I've read a lot of recommendations and see in many AARs that a lot of the house rules seem to relate to bombing altitudes and using political points.

For those of you that are playing without house rules, are you seeing any problems with your game in which you would consider using house rules in the future?

Does playing without house rules give more of an advantage to either the allies or the Japanese?

No problems in two current PBEM games. Advantages/disadvantages wash out IMO.

I'd pay a lot more attention to which scenario you play.
The Moose
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I only play without house rules in my current PBEM because I explicitly trust my opponent. But then again, I won't play with people I don't know well.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I didn't know Mike or Cliff before we started the games. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe 99% of the folks around here are good guys.
The Moose
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Since stock WitP, I've played about 20 PBEM games, including the current one. 18 of them have ended prematurely, with my opponent disappearing. This is the first one I fully expect to run until the end of the campaign.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

So, did you play someone you didn't know well 18 of 20 times?
The Moose
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Apparently. Call me hopelessly naive, but I've learned my lesson now.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I didn't know Mike or Cliff before we started the games. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe 99% of the folks around here are good guys.

Just wait until I pull my latest trick out of my hat! I'll send you looking for house rules yet!

......maybe.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Apparently. Call me hopelessly naive, but I've learned my lesson now.

Wanna buy some life insurance? Finest kind. [:)]
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Just wait until I pull my latest trick out of my hat! I'll send you looking for house rules yet!

......maybe.

It just makes me stronger . . . [:)]

Come on January . . .
The Moose
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

My opponent and I had a good many house rules in our first game (WITP CHS) and none in our present game because we have come to trust each other and appreciate the playing style. If there are issues with the game mechanics we discuss them and play on, each keeping in mind what sort of gaming experience for which we are both looking.
fair winds,
Brad
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Apparently. Call me hopelessly naive

OK. You're hopelessly naive. [:'(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Boomer Redleg

Hi Boomer,

You'll find a plethora of different opinions on the matter. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Some basic HRs are probably in order for most matches, IMO. Particularly amongst new PBEM players that don't know their opponents or the PBEM experience well. Playing 'around' some of the problems with the code (e.g., PPs for movement of restricted HQ units outside of national boundaries) with HRs is the most straightforward way for most players. There's not a lot of recognized issues that need HRs, but having them as a backup basis of understanding is probably the smart thing to do for most.

My own list of HRs has shrunk dramatically over time. Then again, I've been playing this game 'franchise' since the days of Uncommon Valor and I know (and trust) some of my selected opponents implicitly. Your mileage as a new player may vary.

As to which side gains an advantage with the use of HRs-that answer varies by the HR adopted. Rules about restrictions on 4EB bombing hamper the effectiveness of the Allies inherently. Rules about high-altitude sweeps will likely affect both players to varying degrees.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I'm not fond of house rules (as anyone on the forum will no doubt tell you![:D]). They have their place , but are generally WAAAAAAAAAY overused. Often not to fix flaws , but to fix flaws "that used to be" (but have since been fixed , for found to be NOT flaws to begin with). They do have their place , if you play with someone you don't know. But I feel that I have a much better solution. Don't play a grand campaign with someone you don't know. If you have to play someone who 1) you don't know 2) or has no reputation , then play a couple of short scenarios against the person 1st. Gauge their play. Are they a gentleman? Do you get bad impressions from them? Then you probably don't want to invest two years or more of play against them.

Friends don't need house rules. I play primarily against friends. And I never play a GC against someone that I either don't know or know his reputation. Period. Time is not money. IT'S much more precious. You can always make more money if you waste it. Time is finite.

So invest your game playing time wisely. And if a perspective opponent gives you a laundry list of house rules that require 4 lawyers , a paralegal and record keeper to follow , that person is probably not interested in a fun game , but a victory at any costs. This game is too special to allow it to be reduced to "lawfare". Fun and enjoyment should be their own house rules , guided by the principals of friendship, gentlemanly conduct and honesty. But before you play anyone , or discuss house rules , talk to that person. A LOT. Discuss "gamey". Come to a meeting of the minds. And keep talking during the game. NEVER stop talking. If you have a question or doubt, TALK about it. But always keep things fun! [:)]
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

AW1Steve,

Very well said. Do you have a favorite short scenario?
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Connfire

AW1Steve,

No, not really. If I had to pick , I'd say Guadalcanal because it's the longest.

All the short ones are good , and they are generally very tough. That's because they were designed as learning devices , and the gentlemen who designed them know that you learn more from a tough uphill slug then you do from a cakewalk. Except the ones designed by Terminus. His are tough because I think he's a closet sadist! [:D] (Just kidding T!).
I strongly recommend playing each and every short scenario , then play it again from the other side. And if you are a newbie , ask you opponent to do a "mirror game". That's where you have two ,consecutive games going , but you play opposite sides at the same time. THAT way you'll really learn. Fast. [:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I'm not a closet sadist.

I'm quite open about it.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

While I come to realize that having a long list of HRs isn´t the best of things there are SOME that I think are good for playability/fun. Personal taste perhaps. [:)]

Pay full PPs to cross national borders. Not having it will make things in China/Burma/India quite...odd. Personally I would also put in place some kind of restriction on aircraft altitudes. Highest wins isn´t always fun.

Other then that (and a few to deal with the 1st turn) I don´t see much need for HRs. Most things evens out in the end.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

While I come to realize that having a long list of HRs isn´t the best of things there are SOME that I think are good for playability/fun. Personal taste perhaps. [:)]

Pay full PPs to cross national borders. Not having it will make things in China/Burma/India quite...odd. Personally I would also put in place some kind of restriction on aircraft altitudes. Highest wins isn´t always fun.

Other then that (and a few to deal with the 1st turn) I don´t see much need for HRs. Most things evens out in the end.

I think playing with stacking limits and no PPs to cross borders would probably be fine. Negates the possibility of Manchurian/Chinese superstacks facing off against each other.
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Connfire

AW1Steve,

No, not really. If I had to pick , I'd say Guadalcanal because it's the longest.

All the short ones are good , and they are generally very tough. That's because they were designed as learning devices , and the gentlemen who designed them know that you learn more from a tough uphill slug then you do from a cakewalk. Except the ones designed by Terminus. His are tough because I think he's a closet sadist! [:D] (Just kidding T!).
I strongly recommend playing each and every short scenario , then play it again from the other side. And if you are a newbie , ask you opponent to do a "mirror game". That's where you have two ,consecutive games going , but you play opposite sides at the same time. THAT way you'll really learn. Fast. [:D]

Thanks for the info, that actually is very helpful to me. I bought the game during the sale - been playing WPO for years but of course WITP-AE is in a league of its own. Played Coral Sea and Thousand Mile War as both sides so far. Right now I'm playing Guadalcanal for the first time as Allies - I'm really getting hooked. And you're right, I am learning a lot about the game mechanics in the smaller scenarios.

I think one reason I'm drawn to this topic, and what you said, is because my longtime opponent and I always played with house rules. But these were to cover some of the flaws in WPO. Most of these flaws I don't see in WITP-AE, though I'm reading that other players have other rules for other reasons. I haven't advanced to the point where I can make such a decision. However, I couldn't agree more with your emphasis on mutual trust, especially if you're making what can be a multi-year commitment to a game.

Return to “The War Room”