WITP AE Editor Doesn't Work

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

badugi

WITP AE Editor Doesn't Work

Post by badugi »

I tried both versions of the editor and neither one will let me save my work to slot 26 or higher, keep getting the same error: Data device: Write file failed.
Chris21wen

RE: WITP AE Editor Doesn't Work

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: badugi

I tried both versions of the editor and neither one will let me save my work to slot 26 or higher, keep getting the same error: Data device: Write file failed.

Check where you trying to save it to. E.g. C: and not to a CD.
badugi

Post by badugi »

I'm trying to save it to C:/matrix games/ WITP scenario folder, slot 26.
badugi

Post by badugi »

Thanks for trying to help. Issue resolved. Was trying to run in Windows 7. Changed to XP mode and problem is solved. Cheers!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: badugi

Thanks for trying to help. Issue resolved. Was trying to run in Windows 7. Changed to XP mode and problem is solved. Cheers!

That in itself is odd? You should not need to do that.
badugi

Post by badugi »

Probably something to do with some of the anti-malware/virus stuff I'm running. Some of it causes problems. Peace.
byron13

Re: WITP AE Editor Doesn't Work

Post by byron13 »

Greetings all:

I am having the same problem this gentleman had with the editor. Windows 11 and a fresh install of 11.27.2. While owning the game since initial release, I have never opened the editor until this week. So, wanted to make changes to initial ship damage in stock scenario 3: December 8th. As a fresh install, all scenarios (1 - 22) are stock after loading initial version of game, upgrading to 26b, and then upgrading to 27.2. In other words, I haven't attempted to download or install any additional scenarios; it's all virgin. I even wiped all game saves in virtual storage.

I am able to open the editor and load into it the stock scenario. As suggested, I then immediately attempted to save it in a slot higher than 25 (I've tried 026 and 050). I have tried this in Editor and Editor64. To attempt the save, I am selecting "save scenario as . . " and clicking on the open slot. This seems to work because the window below turns green, and I am able to type a filename there, overwriting the pre-existing "none." While probably not necessary, I have tried typing "050 - December" in addition to just "December." When I click the "load/save" button, I get a series of pop-ups. The first says "Data Device: write file failed;" I note that Device is the first tab in the editor. Clicking okay cycles through more pop-ups for each of the other tabs in order, i.e., "ship classes," "ships," "aircraft," etc., though all of the messages after the first one say "file open failed in data [ship class, ship, aircraft, etc.]: WriteFile." That's it. Question is what am I doing wrong?

The conversation above suggested it might be a anti-virus issue. The pop-ups don't seem like AV to me; AV messages typically identify themselves as such. But I shut down MalwareBytes and disabled Windows Defender AV, and this did not help. Tried scenario 1 and same thing. Any help would be appreciated!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Can you save anything to the folder the scenario are in? In not the folder could be write protected by the system.
byron13

Post by byron13 »

That's worth following up. I was able to copy something into the SCEN folder, but I did get a pop-up saying I needed administrator rights to do so, which I was able to do. Of course, I was prompted to say I was the administrator in this instance and was just rudely denied when trying to save in the editor, but there might be something to that. I'll have to read up on the rights issue and whether I can change any protected status the folder might have.

I know you all will be holding your collective breaths and facing sleepless nights awaiting the answer, so I promise to report back.
byron13

Post by byron13 »

That's worth following up. I was able to copy something into the SCEN folder, but I did get a pop-up saying I needed administrator rights to do so, which I was able to do. Of course, I was prompted to say I was the administrator in this instance and was just rudely denied when trying to save in the editor, but there might be something to that. I'll have to read up on the rights issue and whether I can change any protected status the folder might have.

I know you all will be holding your collective breaths and facing sleepless nights awaiting the answer, so I promise to report back.
byron13

Post by byron13 »

I think the answer is that the SCEN folder is currently set to read only. Presently not able to change that, though I thought I was logged in as Administrator. So another couple of hours to be spent figuring out the Administrator issue and wondering where I might have saved that password . . .
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

If you right click in the scenario file, you may change the attributes. Is this not working?

The same for the folder.
byron13

Post by byron13 »

Thanks to Chris21 for the idea of a file rights issue.

My issue is that the SCEN folder is set as read-only. I am able to change all of the files within the SCEN folder to not be read-only using the properties screen in Windows Explorer, but some Windows thing prevents the folder itself from being changed without doing a DOS command at the Command prompt. So even after changing the properties of the files themselves using Explorer, I still could not save the scenario (and .dat files) into the SCEN folder from the Editor without getting the write errors (presumably because the folder itself is still read-only). What I've read is that changing the status of the folder may affect how some programs work, so I decided not to do this. I doubt there would be a problem since these are data files, but I don't know enough about this stuff to take the chance.

My fix was to open the scenario in the Editor and save it with a new scenario name in a folder outside the SCEN folder. Open the new scenario in the Editor from their new location, modify and save them back in the new folder, and then copy the individual .dat and other files into the SCEN folder using Explorer (after approving, as Administrator, copying them in). Why I can copy files into the folder using Explorer but cannot save them using Editor is a mystery. Maybe using Explorer permits the pop-up to give me the opportunity to approve the save as Administrator and the Editor does not.

Anyway, all seems golden. Oglala, Helena, and Vestal have severe damage, Cassin, Downes, and Shaw are wrecked, and PH has airfield and port damage. Oh, and on my first run-through of the new scenario, PoW and Repulse survived the first turn to fight another day!

Maybe this was all covered somewhere twenty years ago or in one of Andy Mac's or Krull's threads, but news to me. Computers: such a pain in the backside.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

A pain in the backside is when you sit on dentures. Yours or someone else's, it really does not matter!
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

btd64

Post by btd64 »

If you want to modify scenario 3,open in the editor and save to a slot from 26 or higher. Then modify your newly saved scenario....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
byron13

Post by byron13 »

Thanks. I would love to be able to do that and not go through the bunk that I did. Can you tell me why I could not open scenario 3 in the editor and then save it in slot 026 or slot 050 like I said I tried?
btd64

Post by btd64 »

silly question, but did you double click??!!....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
byron13

Post by byron13 »

Double click at what point? The load and save function on the Editor I did not double click because one click commenced an action.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Got another question. Where did you install WitP AE? In times past installing games under program files, or any other microsoft system folders resulted in all folders and files being read only.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

You can also copy the entire scenario folder somewhere else.

Return to “Tech Support”