Curious Cold War Database ends in 1979?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Akmatov

Curious Cold War Database ends in 1979?

Post by Akmatov »

Just curious why 1979 was selected for the end of the Cold War Database rather than 1989.
Sardaukar

RE: Curious Cold War Database ends in 1979?

Post by Sardaukar »

I bet it is because of database sizes.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

Makes perfect sense to me. 1979 was in many ways a watershed year with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the Iranian Revolution beginning to change superpower dynamics and the Cold War's end game unknowingly commenced. 1980 would see the Reagan era and the biggest peacetime military build up in history unfolding.

By the time the Cold War ended, much of the hardware was technologically mature and the current setup demonstrates this nicely in my opinion. Each covers roughly thirty-years, about as long as a professional career in the armed forces of in one of the given periods.

Spitting the DB's into 1946-1979 and 1980+ is reasonable and there is platform overlap built into both so from a user standpoint when one DB ends and the other begins is pretty much irrelevant. That said there are very likely quite mundane reasons that are entirely reasonable from the developers perspective.

-C
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

Thanks Chris saves me answering it, the Cold Start almost after the end of WW2, splitting the Dbs at 1979 mark is right as Chris is concerned also one mother of a DB from 1946 to near future is too big for one guy so I cover the 1946-1979 time frame amd Rag covers from 1980 onwards
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

Btw, are there plans to eventually merge them some day (2 years or so) ?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Is there really any game reason to merge them. All the cross over units are in there.
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

One can dream... [;)]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”