Alternate galaxy maps?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

SitheseParadox

Alternate galaxy maps?

Post by SitheseParadox »

Might there exist a mod which adds different galaxy generation algorithms to the galaxy listing when starting a new game? One such galaxy I have in mind is a far-future realm that hosts very few stars in contrast to black holes and neutron stars. I am well aware that the only 'red' stars are Distant World's red giants, but I would imagine that modding in a red dwarf type of star might be feasible.

Think three trillion years past the present, and then we're getting somewhere.
Solarius Scorch

RE: Alternate galaxy maps?

Post by Solarius Scorch »

Actually, red dwarves are already the most popular star type today, at least in our region of space. Therefore, it would be logical to have them, but them being the same colour as red giants would possibly be confusing.
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Osito

RE: Alternate galaxy maps?

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: SitheseParadox

Might there exist a mod which adds different galaxy generation algorithms to the galaxy listing when starting a new game? One such galaxy I have in mind is a far-future realm that hosts very few stars in contrast to black holes and neutron stars. I am well aware that the only 'red' stars are Distant World's red giants, but I would imagine that modding in a red dwarf type of star might be feasible.

Think three trillion years past the present, and then we're getting somewhere.

I don't think the modding facility will allow you to change the galaxy generation algorithm, unfortunately. You'll have to build the thing yourself. You can have red darwves in the sense that you can create very small 'red giants', but the game will still call them red giants, and I don't think the random generator will create small ones itself - again you'd have to build them yourself with the editor.

So the answer to your question is 'no, there isn't'.
Osito

Return to “Design and Modding”