Embarassing performance

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

RebBugler

RE: Embarassing performance

Post by RebBugler »

To make a screenshot hit F4 while in game. Find the screenshot in the Work/Screenshots folder. Open the screenshot in a paint program, I use Paint.net, then save it as a JPG file. If you are a recent user here you must wait two weeks, I think, to post attachments. Then select the 'Click here to upload' script, browse and navigate to pict, then select 'Embed picture in post'.

Outstanding info you're providing, great help for the SOW tech team, we stand indebted for your efforts.

Thanks again!
Designer - Scourge of War
Micco40

Post by Micco40 »

RebBugler,

Understood. I've been a lurker here for a while but never posted too much before on these forums. I've got a "few" Matrix games [:)] Guess I'll wait a bit and then post some screens when i get the all clear.

Thanks for that. I'm just trying to help out any way I can, especially since it seems like there wasn't a lot of solid info on the causes of the slowdown when Webroot was in play.

Hopefully what I have provided will help someone else in the process, so it's a win win.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i don't have the game but have worked in the AV side before i retired, tbh get a better antivirus, one that doesn't alter or impede games etc, for me the top ones atm are, and this isn't a mines better than your's post either is, and list is in no order either.

Kaspersky AV only
Norton (corp) not home user version...
NOD32 (corp is better, standard is ok for most...
Sophos (again corp) not home user version but ok if you can't find it

these are just a few, none will alter or stop a game from working, none are total all in one versions, as you don't need internet security all in one and firewalls, unless you run a bank that is, standard firewall and net security is more than enough for most home users unless you do most stuff that you shouldn't be doing anyway, normal stuff is fine, if you need more then think really why would you use a 3k pc for it, but a cheap web box and do net only work on that, zonealarm and other firewall type programs can cause more than a few headaches for gamers.

most free antivirus programs are as good as any paid ones, some better than others, any is better than none.

just pick another one and see if it works for you, if it doesn't scrap it, anything that slows down a pc, like webroot and king of the slowdown crowns norton 360 types are overkill for most home users.

i don't like links to other peoples tests as one set shows one thing, another shows totally different results tbh, but he we go for a start off, just to prove a point http://www5.pcmag.com/media/images/3553 ... -chart.jpg

webroot failed the test, google best antivirus programs 2014 and see the top couple of pages, some have strange results and i'm sure some get paid to make some higher than they really are, but compare a few scores and you see a pattern forming, for me it says webroot is poor at best, next to useless at worst...

3k on a pc, and i bet you spent a while looking and selecting parts etc, if it was a selfbuild etc, so a bit of time now needed on a good antivirus program not package and you will be laughing.

norton 360 can take upto 50% of your system resources at times, very system hungry, checks far too much and too often for most users and doesn't perform any better in most tests than others that have a tiny foot print with less than 3/5% resources taken at worst.

p.s also having the fastest and latest hardware is not always the best way to faster access in games, i also have the latest i7 with 16gb of ram, but as it's set up differently runs some stuff really well but other stuff can be slower than my older i5 with 8gb of ram, new one is windows 8.1 older one is windows 7 both 64 bit o/s...

i have seen results of overclocked i5's with 4gb of ram clocking speeds way past the 4930K with the same 2gb vga card used, for loads less money, so it's again not how much you spend, it's the knowledge and sometimes the games you play and how they are programed, better to have quicker clock speed than more cores if the game in questions doesn't support or hasn't been written to support multi cores / threads etc

i'll leave it at this as i'm rambling[8|][X(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks zakblood, very informative and useful info.
Designer - Scourge of War
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

fwiw never had any issues with the antivirus that comes free with Windows - think it's called Security Essentials, although it's called Defender in win8 and is included in the install.

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

as free one's go, is as good as any, the reviews on it don't do it justice in real world tests, i've installed it on 100's of pc's and not had any problems with it either.

not wanting to go off topic any more than i already have, shame thread title isn't different tbh as it makes out when you first read the title that it's a game issue which it never was tbh...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “Tech Support”