Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Vargius

RE: Warhammer 40k DW:U Mod

Post by Vargius »

There's very little graphics in this mod, which is probably the reason why its so much smaller than the other mods.
UmpaLumpa

Post by UmpaLumpa »

I like it much, i have looking for troops too and made some from what i found in the internet. I cant link them here but i send you and pm
Hail to the Goa'Ulds!
My Gods are the Goa'Uld!
Glymner

Post by Glymner »

No I was wondering if the ai was running around with overkill fuel capacity. But after checking their ships in the editor, that turned out not be the case.
GVind

Post by GVind »

Maybe shakturi can be changed for necron/tyranid arrival or something with vastly powerful racial techs.
GVind

Post by GVind »

I found a little bug while playing. After planet was captured by enemy and recaptured by rebels it became independent. After colonizing this planet anew by colony ship planet still have -61 rep from "we are angry at the recent conquest of our colony"
GVind

Post by GVind »

Just finished auto-game between AIs - it was epic. Imperium steamrolled Auretians Diasporex and began beating Eldar then 80% victory conditions kicked in. As Imperium exterminates all xenos its constantly at war and -80 war weariness maybe not enough on big galaxy map. Also eldar used old shandar graphic for carrier. Legendary pirates must be redone as dark eldar to align with the setting :) Also for some reason sluken star burner tech allowed to research to everyone.
Imperius

Post by Imperius »

Played it, and thought it was great :) Very well done!

I was playing as the Emperor of Mankind, Imperium, on "hard", with the orcs set at tech level 1 and with an established empire, and the Eldar set at tech level 4 IIRC. Most others were pre-warp, including myself.

From a gameplay perspective, however, I think the issue with giving ships and troops such low upkeep hampers the AI. I had just one system, one planet, and had just discovered warp drives. My population was like.. 6 billion? The Orcs had 120 billion, and something like 50 colonies, and were my neighbors to the "north". To the South-East, there was some human-type empire that had 30 billion population and 40k firepower.

The main issue was money at this point, but I made some deals, and started building up a fleet: "The 1st Crusade", of 36 size 800 destroyers with a few troop compartments each. Due to the cheap troop upkeep, for the last 20 years, I had been spamming imperial guard regiments at Earth, so I had hundreds of troops for this crusade. I first took on a neighboring one-system race, and quickly added their 5 billion people to my empire. Then I built a second 36-destroyer fleet ("The Second Crusade") and sent this, along with the 1st Crusade, against the 40 billion or so humans to my south-east. They had like 10 systems and colonies, but were quickly overwhelmed.

So basically, while the mod is great, it does need some balacning work as the AI does not appear to take advantage of the fact that you can build (almost) unlimited amounts of ships and troops. Of course, I didn't fight the 120 billion orc-empire yet, but they only had around 100k firepower, and I think I could actually manage to match this now that I took over 10 new systems. One thing htat could help would be to mod the race files (or policy) to have the AI garrison each planet with at least 12 troops, then they would be a lot harder to conquer at least!
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

It's late here so I haven't really had time to play this tonight but took a quick glance through the txt files before starting a game, noticed many spelling errors. notepad++ might help you edit some of them out easily.

Something seemed a little off with the way Ork speech is portrayed ie Waaaahhhh! always had G's in it back when I was into 40k 'Waaaaaagh!' and Wez should be We'z or We iz...

lots of Ork quotes here if you want some examples.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ork_Quotes#.U6rFG2dZqUk

The tech tree seems pretty messy and could use more 40k flavour. Void Shields instead of Meridian Shields for example, Lascannons instead of Maxos Blasters or something, Turbolasers, Vortex Torpedoes, Pulsar Lances, Heavy Gunz, Nova Cannons. If you can find some battlefleet gothic handbooks, or check the various 40k wiki's I'm sure they include lots of inspiring names for all sorts of cosmetic component replacements.
The colonization branch unlocks every planet type in the first tech but then has empty techs with the same old names such as marshy swap colonization before going up to techs that unlock the other bonuses like terraformers, but are still named ocean colonization etc. Makes the mod look rather unpolished.
Various modded wonders have too much text in their descriptions, the details of what they actually do goes right off the bottom of my screen in the few I checked out.

'Shakturi Only' techs in the tech tree, intentional? I could also assign Shakturi and Mechanoids when choosing empires for my game.

Custom help files describing the various resources and races, components, facilities would be good.

You could try some 40k inspired BoltThrower tracks as theme music 'music to wargame by' is their motto and I believe there used to be free samples on their website. Just noticed as I was shutting it down that it was still the default music and thought that when I was playing the Star Trek Universe mod the TNG theme that started playing when you change theme MADE the mod.

mensrea

Post by mensrea »

GVind - The shakturi/mechanoids will be replaced with traitor legions/loyalists at some point in the future. As far as that error goes your going to have to take it up with the games developer as that is beyond the scope of my modding powers (or anyones modding powers for that matter). I didn't do any of the ships graphics so you may want to ask Vargius about that. Great idea about the Dark Eldar; I wanted to do something with pirates and that will be perfect. I will address the Imperiums war weariness with the coming update and fix that starburner tech thing as well.

Imperius - If you are playing as the Imperium you are at a huge advantage when it comes to fleet maintenance (-90%). The other empires really can't touch you, militarily speaking, if you know what your doing. I initially made it so everyone had a huge fleet maintenance discount but got out of memory issues from so many objects flying around. I then removed those universal maintenance reductions for all but a few races. I may have to adjust some things again, fleet maintenance wise, but the AI isn't taking advantage of that because for the most part they can't.

I also had assigned racial policies to the TO-DO section, but you make a good point about the minimum troops per planet thing, so I will add that to the next update. Question: were you playing with aggression set to chaos? In several of my games (on hardest difficulty with aggression set to max) I got walloped by the AI (military ratings close to 1 million). Even when I was churning out ships like it was nothing the AI seemingly pulled twice as many ships out of nowhere.

Necaradan - Spelling errors? The only in game text I have added was the stuff for wonders and some gametext. I do use notepad++ as well and address spelling errors as I see them. One thing about notepad++: it uses the British spelling of words (adding u's in, etc) which we do not observe in the US, so you may be seeing a lot of that type of stuff appearing. Otherwise, could you tell me what files these errors are popping up in so I can fix them for the next update? As far as spelling Ork stuff right I kinda just rushed through it and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to spelling as I planned on doing a proper Orky update at some later point but didn't want them sounding intelligent or proper in the meantime.

The tech-tree stuff is on the TO-DO list as it will be a big undertaking - I wanted to add lots of techs for various races in addition to changing names to fit the lore. I have no idea what to do with the remaining colonization techs so I just left them as they are; I was only concerned about making sure all the colonization for X type of planet things were unlocked right away. The tech-tree probably looks unpolished because aside from changing some mechanics I haven't touched it at all - its all still vanilla.

I will cut the text for the new wonders down for the next update. I will also fix that shakturi/mechanoid issues which I admit I just disregarded for now as I don't play that game mode and I manually pick my empires instead of generating them randomly. Custom help files is something I'm not entirely willing to do as I would just be copy pasting from the lexicanum anyway (aside from resources), though I will gladly add anything people submit.

I never knew bolt thrower was a fan of WH but I should have guessed from the name. Someone referred them to me years ago but I never actually listened to their stuff. Aren't they heavy metal? I was considering adding tracks from the warhammer 40K RTS but I didn't to keep filesize down. I will listen to bolt thrower and see if the free songs fit. If they do, they are going in, otherwise I will put on a couple songs from the RTS, cause I feel you on the whole immersion thing.

Everyone - since I made the cargo space change have you guys noticed anything noteworthy? To me it seems like the AI builds just as many freighters but half of them sit around idling. I still got an out of memory error too. It happened in a game I was just starting to play last night so I'm wondering if it was really because there were too many objects or its something else. Now, it was a big game: largest map, more than 1400 stars as I added some, every empire but shaktori/mechanoids. The unusual thing was that most empires had less than 50k military power (I had about 200k as Imperium) while the last time I had the OOM issue was when at least a dozen empires had close to 1 million military power. I have 16 gigs of memory though the game is limited to 4 cause its 32 bit. I have noticed that I can continue to play games which crash from OOM issues after a reload (though they do tend to crash again), so it seems like garbage isn't being collected somewhere and unnecessary stuff is being kept loaded in the memory. I'm starting to wonder if something I did is causing a memory leak which makes me apprehensive about adding more stuff until I fix it.

I'm also wondering about how much strain troops put on the system. I imagine they are ticking off occasionally to determine whether they get more experience or not. If that's the case that could be a big problem once people starting pumping out thousands of them.

Either way, I just added all this stuff to my list of bugs that need fixing and the next update - the Orky update - will probably be released this weekend. I'm still going to take it slow content wise as the last thing I need to do is heap a bunch more problems on top of something that may already be broken.

EDIT: And thanks, everyone, for the feedback. And come to think of it, on the spelling issue, I may have spellcheck disabled on the terminal I was using at that time.

EDIT AGAIN: I checked the race.txt file as well as the race files for the mechanoids and shakturi and all of them say "Playable ;N" so I'm not sure why you can select them.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

Hmm.. you're right I guess as an Australian I probably noticed some incorrect English, however when I changed to the US dictionary it gave a whole other set of errors many of which seem to be because they are spelled the English way.

base_dialog.txt

acknowledgment, traveling, canceled.

facilities.txt

unequalled, commission, defenses, curiosities, construction

targetting/targeting is spelled both ways in more than one txt, I guess that's not your fault though. Nor is focussing or conveyers.

Yeah BoltThrower is heavy metal, definitely not for everyone. Just the first thing that came to mind when I thought about 40k and theme music.

When I said I could assign the Shakturi and Mechanoids that's what I meant, who knows if they are used when randomly generating empires. But I have also noticed you can set them up when playing the default theme too, I think it's a bug with the latest patch.

I agree about heaping problems on something already broken, just my opinion but I'd think getting gametext/help files/tech tree info out of the way first would be easier than the mechanics which will need rebalancing until they're right.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Well, I didn't change anything in base dialog and I did end up fixing some errors in facilities.txt which were mine (and some which were not).

And yeah, you're right about the content before mechanics stuff. My problem is that I just care more about mechanics. I actually started this mod as a set of mechanics changes and then later decided to give it a WH40k theme. I need to get my priorities straight, though, so unless people start reporting OOM issues en masse I will just try to focus on the content from here on out because it is certainly lacking.

I did think of a problem with changing component names to reflect the lore: almost every race seems to have unique weapons. So the ubiquitous lasgun will almost necessarily be employed by the Eldar and the Orks, which does not jive. I was thinking that a possible solution would be to make things more vague in the general tech tree (the easy way). The other solution would be to completely rework the entire tech tree and ensure that certain races are forced down certain tech paths (the hard way).

The latter is possible as of the most recent update so I'm not ruling it out. It will be a fuckton of work, though.

On another note theniceshakturi has been contributing a lot of original and more appropriate troop art. So far he has given me stuff for the Orks, Imperium and Eldar. It will be in the next update.

I also did some more extensive research on the minor races so hopefully I can make them more colorful and interesting than they currently are. Sadly a lot of the minor races barely have a sentence or two in the lexicanum that describes them. However, this means that I am free to do what I want with them, so I will probably base some off races from other things (gykon=grineer from warframe).

Finally, I will be doing an overhaul of governments; mostly to make government choices reflect the lore better, but also to make them a little more realistic.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

battlefleet gothic ship name generator, not really great.

http://grimdarkness.net/resources/bfg_name_generator/

System/planet names, could be useful for a custom systemNames.txt

http://www.ironhands.com/40planet.htm

Don't forget to write an about.txt and include an about.png for your mod.. I've been using this one.

mensrea

Post by mensrea »

EDIT: The best way to get a hold of me at this point is on steam. I'm foughthelaw&won. Don't be shy.

Yeah man I'll try to keep that in mind. And that is a good picture of the emporer..I was using it before the one I'm using now but it didn't look as good zoomed out (heavy brow line gave him a mongo look from far away).

Ship names will probably not work out because Orks will get stuff meant for the Imperium, etc.

I'm currently using Osito's list of planet names (cited properly in the OP) as he has been kind enough to grant modders access to his works. They are based off current names of stars and such. I feel that is just as appropriate as 40k planet names as this all is technically taking place in 30k. None of the planets outside of Sol would have yet been settled by the Imperium so they wouldnt have been given their "modern" names.

On the other hand Gleise 461b doesn't have a whole lot of ring to it, so I may yet consider it.

Something I did wind up doing last night is revamping about half of the minor races. I just felt that they were total piss as I was rushed at the time I made them. I changed the ones that were discussed in the lore to match their histories and kind of just filled in the blanks according to the persistent themes.

A couple real bastard races will be present in the next update. The Imperium is one of them (though they are already in the mod). They are extremely xenophobic as the Imperial Truth preaches that Humanity is the pre-eminent race in the universe. All the other races have failed to amount to much so that means we are the de facto best, apparently. Of course this space age manifest destiny takes the form of them declaring war for no reason other than seething hatred. It also means that they will not hesitate to bombard a worlds population into radioactive ash.

I also made the Lacrymole the spying race with 5 extra agents and a 70% bonus to spying. Lorewise these guys were shapeshifting vampires so I made them prone to making people slaves and if that's not possible just bombarding their worlds.

The Scythians are another ruthless race that struck me as space ninjas for some reason. They will use any strategy or tactic as long as it works, which includes planetary destruction and bombardment.

Finally, the Quietude, a race of human cyborgs who are more machine than man, are almost the same as the Imperium in that they see themselves as the rightful rulers of the galaxy and will casually snuff out anyone who steps on their toes.

EDIT: The Orks are in consideration for a bastard race, however, since they are mostly interested in WAAAAAGHHH and bombardments tend to be short affairs I am hesitant.

These are just the bastard races, so named because of their tendency to be real SOB's. They will make small fleets and send them on missions to bombard worlds. By the time your fleet arrives the world will be dead. Fighting these guys will be a lot more difficult than fighting any other race, in my opinion, as you will have to have any colony you are not prepared to sacrifice be heavily defended. Also note that bombard weapons are buffed. So when I say the world will be dead before you can muster your fleets I mean it. Don't just count on sector defense. Make it system to be safe.

If anyone wants to submit anything else for the next update or has any other suggestions now is your chance, as I will be finalizing it today and then doing some playtesting.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

Sounds awesome, everyone in that far future are basically bastards though, the rest are usually dead already. Like that friendly alien race first to encounter the imperium, they learned quick haha.

Haha I guess the emperor would look a little mongo, he was born in caveman days or something. That about.png is only used on the theme change screen as far as I know so should be safe to use there without bad scaling, but any image would do, there are so many to pick from.

I didn't think about the mechanics too much when I found the imperial ships names but I suppose you're right. Hope they add the ability to have custom shipNames per race in some future patch.

As to being set in the 30k great crusade era I believe the galaxy was already explored by the emperor and his dudes before the warp storms cut everyone off from each other, theoretically as a result of human expansion over the entire galaxy and their increasing psychic influence, leaving them in a isolated age where they variously became culturally corrupted or just plain forgot the imperial truth over hundreds of years. After the storms eased the great crusade was begun to reunite the long lost human worlds. Not trying to convince you to change your mod or anything just thought that was a cool story bro.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Oh shit, your right, the explorators from Mars and the rogue traders were the forward scouts so they would have named those systems and probably even mapped them (which I can do to an extent). Plus the diaspora of people would have given names to systems as well. Good catch.

As far as the Imperial Truth already being there though, the Emporer didn't come forward to the public until near the end of the age of strife when he used the early Astartes, "Thunder Warriors", to conquer Terra. He then pulled a dick move and wiped them all out to make way for the Astartes, which were inferior combat wise but were better in most other regards. Then he went on to conquer Luna using the Luna Wolves, named because the surrender transmission from Luna was along the lines of "tell your emporer to call off his dogs". From there he went to Mars and convinced the Mechanicus that he was the Omnissiah (some physical embodiment of the Machine God) and so easily won over that planet. After that the orbitals and colonies on the moons of the gas giants were the next targets.

To me after the unification of Sol is when the crusade really picks up and gains a lot of momentum, so that's where I am starting the scenario. So far during playtests I am finding things to be entirely too easy, so I may be giving some other races like the Orks, Interex, Kinebranch and some other races noted to have small empires multiple systems at the start.

However, I now find myself wondering if a campaign that starts with the Sol system would be fun on its own. Have players conquer hostile factions on Luna and the moons of the gas giants and have Mars as an ally. It would make more sense for players like me who use shadows starts, thats for sure.
ponasozis

Post by ponasozis »

anybody cares to uplaud real flags for factions
etc Imperial flag for Imperium ork skull face for orks
also orks should be divided into few factions
oh and all ork factions should be extremely reckless except the one which would be cautious its the trader one faction
btw i think its better for imperium infantry to be imperial guard armored to be imperial guard mechanised units baneblades leman russ titans you name it and special forces as astartes (vindictor assasins overrated)

you can add button sounds back it because they can now be disabled in options
race avatar for imperium is worst thing in this mod i changed it immediately to something better i suggest you do it too
and i also believe its best to lower the speed of all warp drives a little bit and is it possible to make ships go slower when traveling trough nebula or gas clouds they could represent partially warp storms or something simialiar
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Here is v.3 - the Orky update. In addition to giving the Orks a more appropriate make over I have improved a good deal of the minor races and done so according to the lore. I have also balanced some things and altered/added some artwork. I am holding off on the scenario until I can get it right.

The mod will be attached to the OP as well as here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/561 ... %20v.3.zip

V.3 changelog
-fixed some spelling errors
-gave diasporex the star burner
-fixed up colonization tech stuff so its not as shabby
-made some resources much less prevalent on asteroids
-balanced major races better
-improved the following minor races and made them fit lore better
-Ghassulian, Kehletai, Laer, Hrud, Lacrymole, Auretian, Scythian, Interex, Jorgall
-cut the uranium cost of reactors by 60% at least. it was way too high
-gave racial policies to the most aggressive races that include routine bombardment among other more appropriate behaviors
-added about image/txt
-altered the Imperial ship images
-added better troop images and flag designs courtesy of theniceshakturi
-added racial victory for Imperium
-colored some stuff green on messages
-added some music befitting the setting
scouseern

Post by scouseern »

Big fan of this MOD and the WH40K universe, if you need any help PM me.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

scouseern - Always good to see WH fans around. Thanks for the support!

ponasozis - Orks are going to get a government that predisposes them to splitting up a lot. Other than that I'm not adding more than one Ork race just to simulate their volatile forms of governance that inevitably result in a fractured society. However, you make a good point so I will add more than one Ork empire to the scenario. As I have said before reckless in this game means they wouldn't build as much of a military which is absurd for Orks as their entire society revolves around warfare.

Never heard of a trader Ork faction, could you link me some info? Imperial infantry is Imperial Guard. Astartes were set to special forces at one point but special forces have a completely different function in this game from normal combat troops so they weren't being used as they should. I set them to armor so they work as they should (heavily armored and armed frontline invasion forces and shock troops). I don't use Vindicator assassins for special forces, I use Eversor ( http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Eversor_Assassin ), which are much more effective than Vindicators.

The only way I would lower warp speed is in a custom version of the mod designed for a scenario in Ositos realistic galaxy map. Modders do not have the ability to selectively alter warp speeds (move slower through a gas cloud, etc).

Better flags will be added as they are provided. The quality of art is subjective so no one will ever be happy with everything; I'm just picking stuff that looks good at the resolutions I am forced to use. Link me the picture you are using, please.
Glymner

Post by Glymner »

The Bad Moonz are the richest orks since they grow teeth faster, but I don't think that ork teeth are accepted as currency with none but orks.

The Blood Axes are considered unorky and trade with humans for weapons. They use tactics as well which is seen as very unorky :P

Return to “Design and Modding”