Looking For a Race Modder!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Rhikore

Looking For a Race Modder!

Post by Rhikore »

Greetings All!
Im considering making my own extended Universe Mod, and would like a hand in creating my first unique race.
I fully intend on reading all the guides on modding, but I was hoping for some quick information to help me make a few important decisions.

First, however, a preview of my initial race!

Valkorians

Race Family:
Toss-up here, as they are technically Amphibious Ursidian Humanoids (May Look into Custom Family)
1 Part Polar Bear
1 Part Dire Wolf
1 Part Otter
1 Part Human

Native Planet:
Forested Swamp (Marshy Swampland)

Base Reproduction Rate: 21%

Characteristics:
Quite Aggressive: Tolerant of War, + Intelligence Agents, Strong Troops, More Recruits, and Vigorous Colonial Defense, Unlikely to join other Empires.

Quite Cautious: Annoyed by Encroachment, Greater amount of Shields/Armor, More Recruits, Resource Hoarders, Careful/Thoughtful when choosing intelligence missions.

Extremely Intelligent: Gifted Researchers, Strong Troops, Powerful Counter-Intelligence.

Quite Unfriendly: Slightly Xenophobic (Dislike, not Fear.) (Regarding Friendliness: Valkorians generally find diplomacy with other races to be irritating and counter-intuitive, and prefer their natural form of communication (Telepathy) over the clumsy use of speech. Furthermore, Valkorians would rather be spending their efforts to expand their territories... or pondering the culinary preparation of their potential sentient snacks.)

Very Dependable: Valkorians are generally unlikely to agree to treaties , but will enduringly honor those they agree to. More Tolerant of War Hardships, and much less likely to defect.

Bonuses:
Fierce Rivalry: 30% War Weariness Reduction.
Gifted Scientists: 30% Faster Research.
Cunning Schemers: 20% Better Spies.

Resource Bonuses:
Falajian Spice: +5% Population growth for colonies with access to this resource.
Ekarus Meat: +10 Strength to new troops recruited at colonies with access to this resource.
Carbon Fiber: +5% Weapons Research in your Empire for each colony with access to this resource.

Racial Victory Conditions:
25% Control 25% of the Marshy Swamp Colonies in the Galaxy.
25% Control 25% of the Continental Colonies in the Galaxy.
25% Control your Homeworld.
25% Have the Fewest Treaties in the Galaxy.

Colonies:
Marshy Swamp Colonies can usually avoid Natural Disasters.
Continental Colonies can usually avoid Natural Disasters.
Continental Planet Colonization Research: -50% of Normal Costs.
Volcanic Planet Colonization Research: + 25% of Normal Costs.
Ice Planet Colonization Research: + 15% of Normal Costs.
Ocean Planet Colonization Research: + 10% of Normal Costs.
Desert Planet Colonization Research: + 20% of Normal Costs.

Characters:
Extra Troop General: 1
Extra Scientist: 1
Extra Intelligence Agents: 1
Intelligence Agents start with X(Counter-Intel) trait.
More Likely to generate new Scientist Characters. (+40%)
More Likely to generate new Intelligence Agent Characters. (+40%)
More Likely to generate new Troop General Characters. (+30%)
More Likely to generate new Colony Governor Characters. (+20%)
Less Likely to generate new Ambassador Characters. (-70%)
Less Likely to generate new Ship Captains. (-70%)

Other:
Special Government: United Telepathic Republic
Special Technology: Visceral Boarding Tactics(Assault Pod Improvements)
Disallowed Technology: None
Blood of the Hunter - Regular 7 year cycle: For 1 year has increased Population growth, Increased Aggression, Increased Recklessness, Decreased Friendliness, Decreased Dependability.
Increased Military and Civilian Base Size: 10%
Faster Troop Regeneration: 10%
Faster Construction Speed: 20%
Lower Tourism Income: -70%
Lower Trade Income: -40% (Regarding Tourism and Trade: Many species find dealing with a Large, Feral-looking, Xenophobic, and Telepathic race to be more than a little unnerving, despite their intelligence.)

Modding Questions:

1) Custom Racial Family Creation: Pain or Pleasure? (Difficulty?)

2) Is there a way to customize specific sub-characteristics of the main Characteristics groups? (Greater Specification and Customization)

3)How difficult is it to create custom technologies? (Links are Helpful, When available)

Lastly, I was curious if any artists in the community might be willing to work on a Race extension mod with me?

Thanks for the Read.
P.S. I totally meant to put this in the Modding Forums, Moderator help appreciated!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”