So Freeking Close

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

Hairog

So Freeking Close

Post by Hairog »

Can't some talented modder pick up the gauntlet and make this game work? Damn it was close to being an all time classic. So very, very close that it's a shame to see it die like this. It had it all except that it didn't quite work. Close so very close. Come-on I know there is someone who can bring this game back to life.

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
gwgardner

RE: So Freeking Close

Post by gwgardner »

Have no idea what you're talking about. It's a great game, I play it all the time, still doing so with PBEM.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Have no idea what you're talking about. It's a great game, I play it all the time, still doing so with PBEM.

My opponent and I are involved in an ongoing strategic bombing battle, a desperate fight for Egypt, the Germans assaulting the USSR, a partisan war, a Finland that has betrayed its erstwhile ally, and a continuous sub/ASW war.

I would like to see some changes to the convoy routing, but that's about it.

shermanwar

Post by shermanwar »

I agree with Hairog. This game is so fundamentally broken its not even funny. I finally reverted back to version 1.0 since it, WITH ALL its faults, is the only version that works. I dont consider random and frequent CTDT as a working game (versions 1.1+ etc). I also agree it has been left to die on the vine as 9,000 more new games have come out since. Its clearly about throwing together new games as fast possible and once released moving on (As many others before me have observed). It works for a few people then consider yourselves the random lucky ones and enjoy!
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Deleted : double post[:(]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Basic OP comment is true, development on this game has stopped, which is a great shame, because it has the potential to be one of the all time great games.

Getting the game to work has always been the problem, I have never failed to get it started in all its versions, but it has sometimes been a difficult procedure with many re-starts.

I have always played against the AI and it has delivered a good game, I have adjusted and modded to get the best out of it and used personal house rules and F12 to keep a balance.

In the present game the AI British were useless in North Africa (Italy alone was pushing forward), Soviets hesitant on the East Front and I thought I was closing in for the kill, war nearly over in 1941. Several turns back I had changed the AI Soviets to advantage as things seemed to be too easy, beginning to regret that, when the AI feels strong it changes character.

Closed a big pocket between Smolensk and Moscow, destroyed a large number of Soviet Tank Corps, the AI was piling Infantry divisions around Moscow, but why no new Tank units !!!!. Answer came several turns later, Tank divisions are appearing on the flanks, I am closing in on Moscow, but by the time I have cut through the Infantry Divisions the rest of the front will have collapsed.

It's late summer, I might take Moscow, but could lose everything else, as pressure is building and the line is giving way (once pushed out of entrenchment, it is difficult to hold), so do I completely change strategy, give up the advance and retrench. I am rebuilding units in Poland and France, but they are quickly getting minced again in Russia. I had air superiority, but now the Soviet air-force has reappeared in strength and British air attacks are keeping most of my fighters on the Channel coast.

The AI British have come alive in North Africa, even though Malta has just fallen and I have Cyprus, my Italian front East of El Alamein is now looking shaky.

People keep saying the AI is useless, but use the settings and preferences and it can surprise you.

This is a great game and deserves better.[:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

We are planning to release updated version soon.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

We are planning to release updated version soon.

Is this an update to the existing game, v 1.05 has not yet been issued by Matrix with an installer as an official update, or a further development of the game. Can you give detail of what would be in any updated version, e.g. any resolution of the convoy routing issue. [:)]

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

It will be the only 1.05, we are going to deliver the patched version.

Generally there is no possibility to further develop the code, the only thing we can do is to support the stability.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Generally there is no possibility to further develop the code, the only thing we can do is to support the stability.

Everytime I see something in this forum about this game, my heart leaps, and I think...could it be possible to fix this broken game...but then i read doomtraders comment as quoted...no possibility to further develop the code...and I think...why bother with the heartache. [:(] I am in complete agreement with Hairog, and I did play both PBEM and vs the AI (with tweaks). So gthe game sits on my computer, while I play ATG, a classic that is still being upgraded (thanks Vic)! I am sure that I will not purchase another wastelands game...won't get fooled again![:-]
JRR
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

baloo7777

The issue is that we just can't develop the code any further. Most of the issues we have got with this title, arise just because there was too much things.
We will continue to work on making this game no-CTD product, but adding more features or reworking current ones, is just not an option. It is not easy for us, but this is true.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I challenge anyone here to play me PBEM, using the latest patch. I'd like to show any and all how much fun and complete the game is.

The only problem I ever have with the game right now is startup. I SOMETIMES have to startup with a 'quick' startup, choosing Axis. Then when the game starts, I return to the main menu, and go into multiplayer. It consistently starts up that way. Annoying, but it's is a total of 3 extra clicks.

I'll play any of the campaign scenarios, either side.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Is there any change from the 1.05 update that you issued by e-mail without installer ?

I will continue to play this game, with a little understanding of the working of the scenario 'consts.ini' files and the F12 feature to correct the unexpected drain in PP levels, which happens from time to time. The GUI is easily modded and using the work of others, with some tweaking from me, I have the game looking really good. This game has given me some of the best gaming experiences I have had [:)] and it is such a shame that it may not be developing any further.[:(]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Is there any change from the 1.05 update that you issued by e-mail without installer ?

I will continue to play this game, with a little understanding of the working of the scenario 'consts.ini' files and the F12 feature to correct the unexpected drain in PP levels, which happens from time to time. The GUI is easily modded and using the work of others, with some tweaking from me, I have the game looking really good. This game has given me some of the best gaming experiences I have had [:)] and it is such a shame that it may not be developing any further.[:(]

I didn't issue any patch by email. The patch I'm referring to is the one posted here in the forum.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I didn't issue any patch by email. The patch I'm referring to is the one posted here in the forum.

Memory gets confused with time, I was thinking of a previous issue.

The link to the 1.05 patch has been sitting at the top of this forum for more than 3 months, so if it is now to be issued as an official update with installer, have there been any further changes.

The reason for asking is that the mods and adaptions that I use have to be re-applied to each subsequent version and I have been using 1.05 un-modded, in anticipation of the final installer version. However, if there are to be no further changes, I will just get on with using the game in its present state.

Also I placed this in the Forum earlier : tm.asp?m=3534462

If I am correct, an important feature in the game may not be working and as armoured effects are a very important part of WW2 operations and if there is a fault, it would be good if it could be fixed.

So will the next update be any different from the patch posted on the Forum above.

doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

We are going to update the ToF to SWiE latest version (as well as SoP in the close future), this means that we will e able to fix the games more efficiently.

However the STEAM version of Time of Fury will not include PBEM++
Sensei.Tokugawa

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Everytime I see something in this forum about this game, my heart leaps, and I think...could it be possible to fix this broken game...but then i read doomtraders comment as quoted...no possibility to further develop the code...and I think...why bother with the heartache. [:(] I am in complete agreement with Hairog, and I did play both PBEM and vs the AI (with tweaks). So gthe game sits on my computer, while I play ATG, a classic that is still being upgraded (thanks Vic)! I am sure that I will not purchase another wastelands game...won't get fooled again![:-]

Yeah, me too with their SotP; not only I have overpaid here at Matrix for a game which is the first that mysteriously doesn't allow me to enter the PBEM mode, but my requests to investigate are falling on deaf ears with no courteous reply whatsoever. So here's another Mr. Doomtrader's classic: " ... I think it's not on the list ..." was the last one I got somewhere round here. That way the customer's support must also be the part of the code that they're unable to develop. Indeed AT/ DCI +DCII are light years ahead of that mess. Sorry for venting my frustration here and hijacking the thread to a certain extent, but uncivilised manners result in a barbaric handling the way extreme conditions demand extreme responses - sometimes.
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

noel60

Post by noel60 »

I have had little problems playing this game. Had a few CTD loading but it usually will load 2nd try. Game is great to me.
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

With a few tweaks and house rules for balance I play it "only" for the Eastern Front component-- and idle all the rest. Agree it had the potential to be an all-time great. Afraid I only play it anymore when I really want an "East Front" fix. If you PBEM guys like it, I'm glad it's working out for you-- but us SP folks need some fixes. I personally still think the entire naval system is horrible.

I bought Time of Wrath way back when and really hoped ToF would fix the issues. I'm sorry to say I am now skeptical of any Wastelands product and will be a "late adopter" from now on.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Well this game is so close, it's a shame if it doesn't develop. I know the stability problems need to be dealt with as a priority and however good the game is it cannot progress if a significant number of players can't get it to run.

I have had a great time with this game, although it has sometimes been difficult, but it is so flexible there is nearly always a work around.

See AAR

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3655595

Return to “Time of Fury”