Missing design for colony & passenger

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

vmxa_slith

Missing design for colony & passenger

Post by vmxa_slith »

When I went to a potential new colony to select colonizing it, there was no design. I get a pop up saying there is no design for passenger ships, when I exit the design screen.

I looked at the design templates for the race and both exist. Is this a known issue or have I done something? It is the 1953 patch. Race is Quameno. Only mod is Das Chrome.
Euler

RE: Missing design for colony & passenger

Post by Euler »

If you start without the colonization or transport tech, those ship designs won't exist. It's not a bug. You have to go into the ship design screen and make them. There is a menu of ship types and you pull down "Colony Ship" and then make a design.

If you play the classic game you will usually start with that tech and the ship designs will already be there, so you don't have to make your own in that case.
vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

Yeah, I made them, but wondered why I have to do that every game. So it is the use of pre-warp starts that is the cause. I figured that researching the tech would force the design to be available, sigh. It is a pain, only as I do not have the design memorized and feel the need to double check it. Eventually that would go away.

Wish they would have the designed grayed out, till you get the require knowledge.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Are you sure there is not a too large design? Change the filter from "latest buildable" to "latest" in the design list.

If there is one that is too large, it is easier to edit that one and remove some pieces to make it small enough.

If you research the tech and there is not a "too large" design, it sounds like a bug.
vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

I use all designs. No colony ships is ever there, till I manually make it. Even a too large would show up in the list, you just would not be able to order one.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

If you automate the designs for your passenger and colony ships, the computer will (eventually) design a ship for each of those roles according to the design templates. It seems as though design appearance is linked to when you accept adviser suggestions to retrofit designs with passenger compartments and colonization modules (or, if you decline that suggestion, it seems the designs become available on the next suggested design revision).
vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

Probably why I have not seen it for colony ships. I do not have suggestions enable for anything. Only do manual for military. By the time I get around to making a new colony, I make a design for the colony hip. Often will make one for passengers at that time.
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

There are also no Resupply ships until you make one. And I do remember looking for a carrier design and not finding one, but I am not totally sure here.
Evrett

Post by Evrett »

Maybe a good thread for a bug report?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
EsoEs

Post by EsoEs »

I also am having this issue, but I also do not have a default design for a Resort base (even though I have the Entertainment tech). I cant remember how many compartments they need etc, so I have to open DW: Legends to see how they designed them there.
vmxa_slith

Post by vmxa_slith »

There is a design template that contains all designs for all races.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

Can't be 100% sure as I had this issue a while back but I somewhat remember figuring out by switching back and forth from automated to manual design, from pre-warp to standard game that you had to have all the required techs on the earliest colony ship/passenger ship design to get one to show up, ie the tech 1 engines, thrusters, sensors, the size upgrade, whatever else is on there. If you started in pre-warp and only research passenger compartments or just colonization they wouldn't show up at all if you were full manual, but since the AI designs them for you when it can on automated you just had to wait until you had the right techs for them to appear.

Return to “The War Room”