Research Focusing

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Franky007

Research Focusing

Post by Franky007 »

As reported in these forums, one of the remaining weakness of the AI, is it's lack of focus on research.

I had an idea to improve this without the need for any chages in the current files !

Add the number of time the same research area is listed in both the races and policy files.

A research listed twice would be researched two time further along.
A research listed thrice would be researched three time further along.

notes:
When multiple path are available, the most advanced should be selected. If tied, select the racial tech first.
When the end of a line of research is reached, stop all research on that area.

Any comments ?
Icemania

RE: Research Focusing

Post by Icemania »

I certainly noticed while testing that the effect of research listed in the races and policy files was far less than expected.

It's an interesting idea and would support Matrix considering this or any other solution which would increase the effect.

Franky007

Post by Franky007 »

I am testing the new patch v1.9.5.4

I play the Dhayut (as a Pirate)
I set the Research to auto and i reset all my research and wait for the AI to choose new research.
Why does it choose Torpedoes when i have no templates with Torpedoes, and my research policy are set at Beam and Missiles ?

Edit: I play as a Pirate. None have torpedoes in them...
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Edit: The dhayut are set up to use torpedoes in the AI design template. What is researches is set in the policy.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Good questions, sounds like the problems here that I mentioned in the Distant Worlds AI thread have not been fixed yet.
Franky007

Post by Franky007 »

I was particulary interested in this new change:
- improved AI research pathing to better emphasize tech focuses from empire policy (ResearchDesignTechFocus1-6), while still researching other important techs

I tested it four times.
Some time he choose fighter, some time torpedoes, and some other time Tractor beam.
But not once did it choose the one from my Policy !!
It seems random to me.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Which torp tech did it research and don't you need one as a prereq for those assault module things? And are you quite sure your Dhayut space stations don't have torp bays on them?

In general, I think a longer test run is needed in order to say anything about randomness. I'm guessing the AI is working with balanced weights where research priorities are one factor while getting necessary upgrades also ends up being an increasingly higher priority, so while it might be somewhat random exactly which tech the AI decides to research next, there's possibly a pattern to it. And if there's a pattern then it's not random.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”