Saved games missing

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

FinnegansFather

Saved games missing

Post by FinnegansFather »

Learning the game on my PC, and had several saved games, inlcuding one from last night. Today I go to load a save, and they are all gone.

Nothing in the Distant Worlds folder where the game is looking (C:\Users\Don\Documents\my games\Distant Worlds Universe\SavedGames)

Search for .dwg fails to find them in G:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Distant Worlds Universe

Any ideas what I might be overlooking here?
ekiller

RE: Saved games missing

Post by ekiller »

The path is changed in the latest patch 1.9.5.4 to My Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe. For older games look at C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\<build number>\SavedGames
- savegame and settings folder location is now standardized to "My Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe" (this remains the same across version updates)
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

They should be in:

%AppData%\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds

And in the right version folder. Paste the above into an explorer address field. From the .4 patch they are under MyGames.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

The latest update changed the save game directory to the one you listed above. Your old saves are in the old directory.

Go to: Users\Yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Codeforce\DistantWorlds\VersionNumber (for you, it will be 1.9.5.3)\SavedGames

edit: damn double ninjas
FinnegansFather

Thank you very much for the help. My saves are recovered.

I notice a couple technical glitches:

[Post patch, the empire name reverts to the generic name (mine is back to being United Quanemo Empire). No biggie, easily changed in the Empire summary, but it does throw off the file name.] SORRY, I WAS MISTAKEN ABOUT THIS.

More importantly, the location change for saved games is awkward because, not only do you have to manually enter the pre-patch folder to get your save... but further saves do not switch over to the new location, unless the user manually goes back in and enters My Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe during the save process. Only then does the new location become the default.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The old behavior was that the game remembered the last save position, stored in the preferences. So "lost" during a patch.
ekiller

Post by ekiller »

More importantly, the location change for saved games is awkward because, not only do you have to manually enter the pre-patch folder to get your save... but further saves do not switch over to the new location, unless the user manually goes back in and enters My Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe during the save process. Only then does the new location become the default.

I guess the expectation is to copy the games to the new location and then load from there :).
FinnegansFather

ORIGINAL: ekiller

I guess the expectation is to copy the games to the new location and then load from there :).

Clearly true -- but that does require keeping track of where the new location is. Any time you've got a process that is customarily automated, and then the automation doesn't work, you'll lose a fair percentage of people.

But I guess it won't really harm anything if a lot of people just go on saving in the previous location.
ekiller

Post by ekiller »

True. But this will not happen from this patch onwards because the pref file that stores the saved game location is now at "My Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe". This path is no longer patch number depended like the previous one. So the next patch will also look into this folder for the pref file and will be able to determine the saved game location.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”