OpenXcom is here!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Perturabo

OpenXcom is here!

Post by Perturabo »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL2x-Sz9Oa8
Finally a worthy remake of X-Com 1[&o]. And free! One just needs to own the original game.

Just finished porting my X-com 1 mod to it and spent a few hours in the evening playing it.
Fallschirmjager

RE: OpenXcom is here!

Post by Fallschirmjager »

When you say own the original game, will the Steam Dosbox version work?

And I also saw where Xenonaughts was released on Steam. Has anyone played it yet?
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

I bought Xenonauts the other day and enjoy it quite a bit thus far. I don't have too much experience with the original Xcoms though. From what I've read, Xenonauts more closely similar to the original Xcom than the more recent iterations.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

How does Open X-COM & mods and Xenonauts compare with UFO: Extraterrestrials and UFO: Alien Invasion?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
When you say own the original game, will the Steam Dosbox version work?

And I also saw where Xenonaughts was released on Steam. Has anyone played it yet?
Yes, the Steam DOSBOX version will work. You just have to copy over some of the files to OpenXcom's folder.

Xenonauts is also really good. It's much closer to the original X-Com but with modern graphics, modern interface, a more tactical air combat phase and a healthy smattering of Cold-War theme.
ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
How does Open X-COM & mods and Xenonauts compare with UFO: Extraterrestrials and UFO: Alien Invasion?

OpenXcom is literally the original Xcom made to work with modern systems, so it's objectively better than either of those.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Thanks, I will download this and see how I like it. I imagine I will.
I am one of the heretics who liked Firaxsis 2012 Enemy Unknown [:D]
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Alien AI has no chance with it because it has no destructive terrain.

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

OpenXcom is literally the original Xcom made to work with modern systems, so it's objectively better than either of those.
It also has no X-Com bugs and especially no 80 item bug and has a modernized interface that uses mouse wheel and keyboard. And lots of options.
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Thanks for the head up.

Downloaded and played one crash site. Got to find time to redo this classic in its entirety
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Had a quick look, but abandoned it halfway through the first mission. Xenonauts is a lot more fun in 2014, not least because they took out most of the really annoying bits.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Xenonauts is a lot more fun in 2014, not least because they took out most of the really annoying bits.
What do you mean?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

For example, you don't have to mess about between each mission re-equipping soldiers, and ordering up enough rockets, missiles and ammo. The ability to win a mission by taking and defending the UFO for a few turns is great too, rather than having to hunt right round the map for that elusive last alien.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

agree. its much easier to play. the game is just as difficult but the faffing about has been taken care of.

glad I bought it.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Had a quick look, but abandoned it halfway through the first mission. Xenonauts is a lot more fun in 2014, not least because they took out most of the really annoying bits.

Went to the sight(Xenonuats) price seems decent. DRM free download. means I will be able to play the game when I want without needing a key? And I can makea copy onto a disk/
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

I assume so, but I bought it from GOG not the developers site so can't confirm. As always the GOG version has no DRM and you can burn it to disk.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Thanks Herston I,ll go to that site
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

For example, you don't have to mess about between each mission re-equipping soldiers, and ordering up enough rockets, missiles and ammo. The ability to win a mission by taking and defending the UFO for a few turns is great too, rather than having to hunt right round the map for that elusive last alien.
OpenXcom allows setting up soldier equipment on the craft equipping screen and remembers it. So, it's necessary to set up only newbies.
Ordering ammo isn't a big problem unless you don't have enough stores and don't stock up for future.
Personally, I just make sure that several exceptional soldiers get their special stuff and leave the ordinary riflemen to auto-equip

From what I saw, the hunt for the last alien thing also doesn't happen much in the remake.

While Xenonauts is newer and has more modern design, there's a question of games as works of art. I watched a few gameplay videos and I prefer the X-Com 1 music, sound effects (much more violent) and graphics style (especially death animations). And even if I wouldn't prefer them, they are simply different which makes the old game worth returning to with the remade engine.

Personally, my dream revolutionary X-Com feature would be either auto-resolving skirmish battles or a skirmish campaign mode with dynamically generated missions and player character being on board so that the game would happen on one level of command.

Currently I'm working on a mod for openxcom that focuses on realism.
Prices are now proportional to what is being bought - for example an interceptor costs 150 000 000 $ - I scrapped the aircraft renting thing because it was silly. Now monthly budget starts at around 300 000 000 $.
Tanks cost 4 000 000 + $.
AA missiles cost 500 000 - 1 000 000 $. Infantry missile launcher costs 100 000 $. Rifle costs 1 500 $.

Then I'm making many modifications to weapons. I made elerium-based explosives especially deadly.

Research costs about 10x more manhours and laboratories have capacity reduced to 10 scientists.

Return to “General Discussion”