The Enhanced Mod Suite

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ghoward

RE: Enhanced Resource Mod

Post by ghoward »

Hi Lancer
I was having an awful time trying to forecast my resource transport requirements for the next turn, so I built myself a little spreadsheet. I noticed that the sea transport requirement numbers produced by the game (your mod) were consistently above my predictions (by .17-.31 ) while all the land calculations were right on the money. I then noticed that the required capacity numbers for Sea Transport were not evenly divisible by 200. Now if I understand the system correctly, all the resource sites produce quantities divisible by 20 (60 RAW or 250/12.5=20 OIL and so forth), and each hex is indivisible and 10 NM wide, so each seperate transport leg expressed in t-NM, has to be divisible by 200, doesn't it? Have I missed something about the sea transport legs, or is there a little bug in there somewhere?
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi barerabbit,

Spreadsheets indeed!

Your assumptions are correct. Where the sea transport requirements may not be giving you exact numbers is because of the way they are calculated by the mod.

The route a particular resource site traces back to your capital can encompass multiple sea and land legs. The mod identifies and separates them as appropriate.

However there are a few approximations incorporated into the sea leg calculations (eg. they incorporate some of the land component). These occur in specific situations where the programming overhead wasn't worth the effort in doing it precisely.

A good example of this is where your Capital is a port but on an inland sea or a sea that isn't connected to any other ocean body on the map (eg. it starts and ends on a map edge). In this particular instance the ATG function that handles the point to point calculations is unable to differentiate sea and land and, in fact, includes the last land leg to your capital as part of the sea component. Doesn't happen with any other inland capital situations, just that one.

Another occurs on very large maps where you are moving a resource over multiple sea/land links. The mod works out the mine site to port land leg, the port to capital land leg and assumes the foreign port to home port leg is all sea (where in fact it could be a combination of both). The computational effort required here to do it correctly increases exponentially with the bigger map sizes.

I opted to keep the mod's impact on turn processing times neglible rather than go for total accuracy.

The degree of the approximation depends on your map configuration and map size but if you went with a mid point fudge factor (0.25) you'd probably be close.

In real life, while theoretical sea components can be calculated precisely, sea transport is inherently more variable in nature than rail. Ships get diverted and delayed for all manner of reasons (weather, search and rescue, pirate alerts, N.Korean missile testings, Fukishima radioactive plumes to highlight a few of the more unusual ones) which preclude them from working with the same efficiency as a train on a fixed track.

I worked in the industry myself and nobody ever looked at a map and calculated a straight 'x' number of ships for 'x' amount of cargo without allowing for an additional amount to cover contingencies such as mentioned above. Fudge factors are alive and well in the shipping industry!

Cheers,
Lancer
ghoward

Post by ghoward »

Those of us whose memories have "matured" to the point where we can hide our own Easter eggs need spreadsheets. Don't worry, your mod is kicking me around even with it. I understand your explanation and I think your fudge factor is about right.

I run into a problem of being unable to take a position (say, a port you don't want the AI to have) without hooking up the (possibly unnecessary) RAW that sits near the port and is too far from your capital to be logistically supported at reasonable cost. I don't think the connection can be turned off, even by engineers, unless it crosses a bridge and I don't seem to be able to tell it not to produce on the production pages of the game. Do you know of any way to do it? Maybe someday there will be a card for that.
Rander

Post by Rander »

Hello.

I am playing a game with the mod and have a problem: I can't play officer's cards. To be more exactly: I only can play some cards; those that consist in selecting a city... but even this cards don't work: only let me to select a raw mine hexe. :S

Is this a bug? Is this normal (I mean, cards don't work with this mod)?

Bye,
Rander.
lancer

Post by lancer »

G'day,

Barerabbit

Being able to turn off production isn't possible at present as once it's hooked up it's part of your transport grid. It's a feature I've been thinking about as I've run into the same problem as yourself.

One work around is to use the production priority action cards. Say you've hooked up an unwanted RAW mine. Swing your transport priority across to OIL for a while. This will shut out all RAW from your network. When your RAW stocks start to get too low flip back to a RAW priority for a short time as this will focus your entire transport resources on RAW which should handle any extra that is needed.

By swapping over your priority depending on how your stockpiles are going you can manage any excess. A bit fiddly but doable.

Rander

Officers work normally with the mod, as do their cards. Haven't struck any issues here and the mod features are independent of Vic's Officers.

The quickest way to deal with it would be to send me a saved game file and I can look at it directly. PM me for a direct email link.

Cheers,
Lancer
Rander

Post by Rander »

PM sent. :)
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

New version uploaded. Only worth upgrading to this version if you are playing on XL or above sized maps with the Enhanced Officers option as it gives an increase to your command allowance to accomodate the bigger maps.

More info here...

Version Upgrade Notes

Cheers,
Lancer
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

New version uploaded (version 5). Recommended upgrade if you use Enhanced Officers.

Changes - Version 5

Enhanced Officers

Command Allowance now automatically scales so you will always start the game with enough CA to accomodate however many HQ's are already on the map.

New feature: Dissatisfied Officers

Cheers,

Lancer
guerillero

Post by guerillero »

Seems like if you don't build enough trucks, your mines can't be upgraded nor supply layer can be seen. Not a complain, just found the hard way.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Guerillero,

Read all about it here...

All about Trucks and other stuff

You need to scroll down to the 'Beans and Bullets' part.

Cheers,
Lancer
all5n

Post by all5n »

So one thing i noticed about using the enhanced officers mod: If you re-name your Supreme HQ, all officers get -100 relationship with CIC per turn.

That was probably in the docs if i had read it i guess.

You probably didnt have another way to specify the CIC given the constraints of the mod development framework (guessing here).
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi all5n,

Yep, in the docs. Whatever you do, don't rename your Supreme HQ.

Lots of mod functions are keyed to the Supreme HQ being named as is in order to get around an engine limitation.

Besides, 'Supreme HQ' sounds a h*ll of lot better than the 'Tea and Scones Drop in Centre for World Peace'. Although I'm guessing that you'd have a better chance of finding somebody warm and cuddly in the later.

Cheers,
Lancer
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

When I download the file, I don't get an atzip file, just a regular zip extension and it does not seem to install from the ATGold menu?
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

Never mind, I loaded.

Look forward to using the mod.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Looking forward to (hoping for) an update to this outstanding mod that supports ATG v2.20.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Me too!!! [:D]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Vic

Post by Vic »

I think Cameron is very buisy with work on Decisive Campaigns 3. Any way my advice to everybody is to wait for v2.20 to be stable and a gold patch before copying features into mods.

For starters there might be a good chance some new graphics are going to be included in v2.20. More news soon. Hopefuly positive :)

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”