Ultimate General: Gettysburg availible as early access

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kung Karl

Ultimate General: Gettysburg availible as early access

Post by Kung Karl »

See link for info: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... te+general

Anyone tried it yet?
Werewolf13

RE: Ultimate General: Gettysburg availible as early access

Post by Werewolf13 »

Not me. I don't do early access. BUT! It does look like something that will eventually be added to my inventory.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Kung Karl

Post by Kung Karl »

Played a realy fast game and I like the scale and overview. Feels a little like sid meiers gettysbrug.

Initial impression: two thumbs up!

Although we have to wait and see if its outcomes is historical plausible. That is a big thing for me.
budd

Post by budd »

bought it, enjoying it. The patch is a step in the right direction IMHO. It's really in good shape for an early release game. The speed might throw some people off, but after playing i was of the opinion that it didn't need to slow down as much as i thought. I like being able to finish a battle in a reasonable amount of time. I haven't had any crashes or freezes to this point. I'd say watch some video's and read the forums and if your interested in it, get it.

here's a link to where there at from the developer.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/t ... wn-issues/
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Must confess, it looks and sounds promising.
A Sharif
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Just bought it. Looks fun :)
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

It's a terrific game. To those with qualms about Early Access, rest assured that your fears are quite unfounded in this instance. Very enjoyable, and improving! So far the devs have been quite responsive to player requests.
balto

Post by balto »

Thanks for the heads up. I have been following this game for a couple months now, glad to see it is out.

I like to keep a balance of complicated games and low tech fun games. I am hoping this is a low tech fun game.

Good timing on a Gettysburg game, refresh my mind before Historicon.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I bought it and I like it. It moves very fast. I am not sure if that is a downside or not. I would like a slightly slower pace. Maybe 80% of what it is now.

The only other aspect that I wish would be added is that I would like to be able to see what weapons my brigades and artillery is using.
There appears to be no difference at all in different brigades having different rifles/muskets and every artillery battery appears to use the same cannon.
For small arms, I would not even care if it was just three basic types. Musket/Rifles/Repeater
I would love for there to be more than that. But I will take those three over the basic type presented.

And artillery is displayed well but there are no gun types. Am I using a 6 lb smoothbore? Lacking in range or hitting power? Am I using a moder Parrot of Whitworth? Or a 12 lb Napoleon which is fearsome when firing canister? Or a 3 inch rifle that does not provide much damage with was probably the most accurate gun in the war?

Other that those minor gripes. I really enjoyed it.
It plays a lot of Sid Meiers Gettysburg which I enjoyed immensely and poured hours into.

For $10 this is a fabulous wargame. I can only hope that the developer produces more battles. Some of the western battles like Shiloh, Chickamauga, Perryville, Cornith, Pea Ridge and Atlanta would be a lot of fun.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Two other minor things I wish could be added. Sometimes my brigades will not properly face themselves to enemy fire. I think this is just a bug.

Second, I wish you could click and drag. I have a lot of artillery batteries that I want to jump to another ridge and I have to do it one at a time. Annoying.

But I have now finished the first day after driving my troops hard and I am really liking this. It is quick playing and very fun.
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

Fallschirmjager, you may want to try using some of the newly introduced unit grouping commands for your artillery. They just introduced them in the most recent patch. You can also use your mouse wheel to re-orient your unit facing (press and hold). Double clicking corps commanders will select units within his command radius as well, I believe.

Such a fun game. I love the art style, and the sound effects are top notch!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Really enjoying it. Looks amazing (Slitherine take note). With a few little extras it will be a classic. Also shows wargames if done right will sell on Steam niche or no niche. Make the game look smart and give it some great mechanics it will sell. Make it look dry and basic and I suppose old style boardgame looks i will only sell to grogs.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Very good looking game. I was considering buying Civil War 2 but looks like many are experiencing crashing issues and the forum looks dead.

The low cost of UG is screaming for a purchase.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I've put together a playlist and the start of a lets play of the game if anyone is interested in checking it out. You can click here to see it.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Very good looking game. I was considering buying Civil War 2 but looks like many are experiencing crashing issues and the forum looks dead.

The low cost of UG is screaming for a purchase.

It is. That price is surprisingly low. I guess once the have engine done that they will probably crank out a bunch of dlc battles. Low entrance fee, then continue dlc content additions. That's my 100% guess with no factual backing.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

I'm obviously missing something here (?), as I don't see 'classic' anywhere along the line. It's pretty and the UI is nice, but in it's current state the game is a click-fest RTS (far more so than SMG) with a pause button, and not a 'wargame' at all. And I'm no grog purist, believe me.

Still, it's very affordable and potentially a decent time-filler, I suppose. Will try again after a few more patches.
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Yes I've been following for a while and I agree with Mr Hertston. Tactics don't seem to ring true to the era (skirmishers pressing home charges for instance) and the time scale/speed is way out of whack (imho). But I am glad people are having fun with it, that might encourage looking at wargames on the subject in the future.

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

Yes I've been following for a while and I agree with Mr Hertston. Tactics don't seem to ring true to the era (skirmishers pressing home charges for instance) and the time scale/speed is way out of whack (imho). But I am glad people are having fun with it, that might encourage looking at wargames on the subject in the future.

cheers

Your right on with your points.......hard core sim it's not. Flanking seems quite effective and being the firstest with the mostest seems to work alright. Yea i think the speed ratio could be dialed back, the morale elevator bugs me the most and yes the charges are wonked at the moment. Having said all that...it is fun and doesn't take forever to complete a battle and the AI is at least decent. I found it pretty fun when the rebs charged me and i switched my cannons to canister and blasted their charge...O.. the carnage. As always...YMMV.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I took the plunge and think the recent comments above are fair. A fun little time filler that is well worth the asking price.
A Sharif
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks for bringing this game to our attention. That Panzer Tactics HD game is now 50% off on Steam. Again, less of a grind than Panzer Corps and quite fun and challenging. Axis/Allied/Soviet campaigns. Only possible issue is no difficulty levels, so you could get stuck on a harder mission - if you're me, at least :)

Return to “General Discussion”