Battle Group Settings

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
Moltke71

Battle Group Settings

Post by Moltke71 »

I'm playing this game for review. With the first scenario, the briefing says I can only have one tank but the default Battle Groups gives me two Crocs. Please clarify. Thanks.
Jim Cobb
Cathartes

RE: Battle Group Settings

Post by Cathartes »

I don't have the scenario on front of me, but if the briefing is specifying one tank then you have to voluntarily select one tank and fill the other two support slots with other units of choice or as per briefing instructions.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

Yes but when I go straight to the battle, the two Crocs are there. So what's the point of selecting units if default overrides the briefing, especially if default is better than briefinf?
Jim Cobb
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

It's ultimately up to the player. Some of the briefings are written to shape a more challenging battle against the AI. The AI will fill slots for both sides, but the player can customize to a certain degree, especially with support units.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

Good to know. Thanks.
Jim Cobb
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Jim - please let us know when your review is ready. I am still deciding whether or not to buy it. I like the fact that it's on Steam, and the matchmaker seems to have a decent amount of folks in the lobby looking for a game. But, I have read quite a few major problems, e.g. units getting instantly spotted when selecting the "Fire" command, as opposed to the "Defend" command. Others say mortars are way, way overpowered and accurate.

I respect your reviews and look forward to this one.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”