Thoughts On The Game

QVADRIGA is a tactical game of chariot racing in ancient Roman circuses, where you take control of a four horse chariot team.
Lorak

Thoughts On The Game

Post by Lorak »

Heya! Bought the game last week, and I've played about 15 or 20 hours. Long enough to be racing in the Circus Maximus, but I am playing on Epic mode and it will be a long time before I am able to get the most wins of any Leader, hehe. Anyway, just wanted to make a post to give my thoughts on the game after putting some hours into it.

First of all I want to say that I love the game. It's surprisingly fun, and I even had some friends watching me play while I streamed it, and they were even enjoying watching it! I really like the turn-based mode. The dynamic mode is a nice inclusion, but I have stuck to turn-based simply because I like the slower pace, probably because I'm getting old. :-P

Obviously this game is screaming for some robust multiplayer features. I feel like I don't need to say that because I've already seen it mentioned multiple times, but I just want to throw my agreement out there.

I have few complaints, but I wish the game was more customizable. Particularly the single races. Being able to choose the number of racers, and having more options with regards to how many points are available to assign, and being able to pick an event (or multiple events) to apply to the race would all be really welcome additions. I also wish I could change the name of Aurigas hired after the start of the game. It is cool that we get to name our starting Aurigas, but they tend to die rather quickly, at least when I'm playing, so being able to rename the new ones I bring in to replace them would be cool.

The AI is pretty good, however, I don't think they are as aggressive as they should be when necessary. For instance, the AI doesn't seem to take the same risks a player would on the last turn and straight of a race if they could have a chance of coming in first place. It also seems like on the tracks with the finish line in the top left corner, the AI doesn't seem to recognize when it is the last lap, as I often see them stop whipping and switch lanes towards the inside lane as if they are trying to take the turn instead of trying to cross the finish line first like they should be. I've come from behind to win more than one race because of this.

I feel like there's one or two more things I had in mind that I'm forgetting now, but oh well. If I remember I can always come back here and post again. :-P Overall, I think the game is great, and you guys did a good job with it!
Niessuh

RE: Thoughts On The Game

Post by Niessuh »

Thank you for your comments, we share the interest for slow-paced gameplay, and that was the original idea when I created turnopia. Multiplayer mode and deep gameplay options is on top of our future developments list
Daniel López
Creator of Qvadriga and Mare Nostrvm
markgravitygood

RE: Thoughts On The Game

Post by markgravitygood »

Finally I get to play Avalon Hill's Circus Maximus, of sorts.

:)

Definitely a good Beer and Pretzel game, drinking alone.
Ecclesiastes 3:8
8 a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

Return to “QVADRIGA”