Subs with Deck guns are trolling hard

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

JCR

Subs with Deck guns are trolling hard

Post by JCR »

Try making a mission with a WW2 era destroyer and a sub with deck gun. Guess who will win?
The sub! :)
It surfaces, shoots of a few rounds with its ultra-fast deck gun (RoF is too high on guns anyway) and immidiately submerges to a few meters so the guns of the DD can't get at it.
Repeat until the DD is dead...
The AI makes exploits like a 14 year old gamer :D

Any way to fix this? either make deck guns have a ready period of a few mins until they're ready or make surface guns able to engage targets at 5 meters depth, I guess
Dimitris

RE: Subs with Deck guns are trolling hard

Post by Dimitris »

Does the destroyer have ASW weapons with which to attack?
JCR

Post by JCR »

Hedgehog and Depth charges, but of course the deck gun outranges them.
Having anti-surface weapons damage a boat at very shallow depth could be a solution as ASW rockets were designed to do just that and normal shells and bombs probably do some damage as well.

A DD with a longer ranged weapon like RBU or Weapon Alpha probably would destroy it but that is not the point, no sub ever could fire seconds after surfacing and then submerge immidiately again. It is simply unrealistic behaviour
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

Hi will mos submarine deck guns with a lower rof
ORIGINAL: JCR

Having anti-surface weapons damage a boat at very shallow depth could be a solution as ASW rockets were designed to do just that and normal shells and bombs probably do some damage as well.

A DD with a longer ranged weapon like RBU or Weapon Alpha probably would destroy it but that is not the point, no sub ever could fire seconds after surfacing and then submerge immidiately again. It is simply unrealistic behaviour
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
jdkbph

Post by jdkbph »

ORIGINAL: JCR

I think your first solution was correct. There should be a significant delay between the boat surfacing and the deck gun being ready to fire. Also the sub deck gun rate fire should be relatively slow as the process is entirely manual, and would probably decrease over time to reflect fatigue. Sea state should play a major factor as well... to the point where high sea states should preclude use of the deck gun at all.

JD
JD
StellarRat

Post by StellarRat »

That shouldn't happen. Destroyers have way more firepower on the surface and more accuracy too. Definitely something wrong. I'm assuming, of course, that your destroyer has 5" guns in turrets, 40mm Bofors, 20 mm's and MG's or something similiar.
JCR

Post by JCR »

I used a Allen M. Sumner Class in the 1944 version, so all guns are there.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Logged this one.

Sub really shouldn't be engaging in an overmatch but ROF likely too high as well.

M
apd1004

Post by apd1004 »

ORIGINAL: StellarRat

That shouldn't happen. Destroyers have way more firepower on the surface and more accuracy too. Definitely something wrong. I'm assuming, of course, that your destroyer has 5" guns in turrets, 40mm Bofors, 20 mm's and MG's or something similiar.

No database or game handy to check, but I'd bet it all revolves around the specific guns on each platform and what their base probability of hit (PH) is rather than sheer firepower, and also if the sub has any to-hit modifiers for being a sub (small target?) applied to any weapon shooting at it.

I've posted this in another thread reference anti-aircraft guns because I think there are some serious issues with PH for some guns and I would go as far as to say that guns in general may need some attention and not just in PH values but also in modifiers and the dynamics of engagement. Surface-to-surface guns may very well suffer from the same problem but I haven't tested any of those yet.
apd1004

Post by StellarRat »

ORIGINAL: apd1004
ORIGINAL: StellarRat

No database or game handy to check, but I'd bet it all revolves around the specific guns on each platform and what their base probability of hit (PH) is rather than sheer firepower, and also if the sub has any to-hit modifiers for being a sub (small target?) applied to any weapon shooting at it.

I've posted this in another thread reference anti-aircraft guns because I think there are some serious issues with PH for some guns and I would go as far as to say that guns in general may need some attention and not just in PH values but also in modifiers and the dynamics of engagement. Surface-to-surface guns may very well suffer from the same problem but I haven't tested any of those yet.
Whatever the reason(s) it was generally considered suicidal for a sub to engage in surface combat with a destroyer, so something is way off the mark here. Even the lightest cannons can cripple a sub and prevent from it diving. The gun crew on a sub is usually completely exposed and can easily be killed by the lightest weapons on a destroyer (which has a ton of AA weapons usually.) The light weapons on a destroyer should be able to get into action in seconds and get the range very quickly. While I'm sure there is some documented case where a sub won a surface combat with a destroyer, it would have to be considered a miracle. The problem may be that the sub cannon is too accurate and has too high an ROF. Destroyer 5" guns should vastly out range the deck gun on a sub due to stabilzation, range finders (even radar in some cases), and gun directors, (none of which a sub would normally have.)
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Fixed in Build 543.
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

Hi guys ROF for main deck guns has been altered to once every 30 secs small calibre ones ie 20mm 40mm etc still have same ROF
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”