Game randomly scrolls the map

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Chocoma

RE: Game randomly scrolls the map

Post by Chocoma »

Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G5 Mouse

I've noticed that smaller universes take longer for the bug to begin. I can try the autosave thing, but it'll only delay the time until the bug occurs. Eventually games get so big that within seconds of loading a game that the bug begins.

Thanks,
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

G15, G500.

I'll test the 10 min autosave on a 400star tonight.

Thanks
Croder

Post by Croder »

Razr Deathadder RZ01-0015
Razr Arctosa RZ03-0026

No idea if it's useful info but for me it always seems to bug out just after an autosave.

Will experiment with the 10 minute autosave.
Kilravock

Post by Kilravock »

I have used:

Mice
Logitech MX510
Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
Logitech Performance MX

Keyboards
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000
Logitech K800

I tired the 10 minute auto save with the same settings that I had for the last game. It lasted a little longer (almost 2 hours, game year 20) but it still happened. A manual save stopped it, but I ended my session after that. Memory usage was around 1.1 mb before I exited the game.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Same for me. Game lasted longer. Seems each time the game gaves it shaves a little off the memory usage, but there is still a slow creep to 1.2gb and then it scrolls.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Please give the new 1.9.5.3 Beta a try and let us know if it helps. We think we've fixed the issue, but we need your conformation to be sure.

tm.asp?m=3634251
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

BUG FIXES
- altered Windows API used for checking mouse location to fix screen scrolling to top-left (thus avoiding bug in Windows Vista 64-bit)

Me thinks this is fixed [&o] I'll play more today to verify, but I have broken the 1.2GB barrier without a scroll multiple times. Thank you so much (if it holds [:)])

Edit: 1.3GB and no bug so far (never got this high before ever)

Edit#2: Still haven't seen it but need others to verify.
Croder

Post by Croder »

Looks good to me, had a six hour session last night/this morning (not because I'm horribly addicted or anything... just to help out the devs....) with no problems.

Now must sleep.
Kilravock

Post by Kilravock »

The beta patch seems to fix it for me too. 2-1/2 hours at max settings and I have no problems. Memory was staying at 1 MB for the entire time.
7thcircle

Post by 7thcircle »

I played for about 6 hours and the scrolling issue was fixed. Thanks for the quick fix! I did notice something else, though.

In the trading screen, when I clicked on items to trade they would not register as being selected and would not move to the bottom trade windows. If I saved the game (even without closing the trade screen or doing anything else), it fixed the issue, and like the scrolling bug this only happened when I'd been playing for a while and the memory usage was high. It happened 3 times that I noticed today and saving fixed it each time.

I don't know if this was happening before because I didn't try to play the game much while it was scrolling. This happening to anyone else?
Beastro

Post by Beastro »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We are still researching this and believe it to likely be specific to some differences in how Vista 64-bit handles memory. However, to provide us with some more information, a few more questions:

1. What kind (brand and model) of mouse and keyboard do you all have?
2. If you set the autosave to 10 minute intervals in the options, does that reduce the frequency of this issue, especially when playing in smaller galaxies?

Regards,

- Erik

Mouse: Logitech MX1000
Keyboard: G15

I've always had autosave put to 10minutes, so I don't know if it helps.
infiniteboat

Post by infiniteboat »

OP here. I have to say I'm astounded. I find it completely unreasonable that the developers actually have an attempt at a patch for the issue in less than a month.

I didn't uninstall the game from steam but I did stop playing it shortly after posting this thread out of sheer frustration needing to restart the game as soon as I got a good rhythm going, but I'm going to start playing it again. If I hit the issue I'll post back but if you don't hear from me assume its fixed on my end.

You guys have definitely won a lifelong customer here, even if the isn't fixed yet (seems like it is no activity on this thread for 3 days). As the goons over at paradox interactive will explain I buy a LOT of strategy games from companies that I like. Bravo.
Magnum9

Post by Magnum9 »

Legitimate LOL at previous post.

For the record I too am IMMENSELY pleased with you guys. You're doing a fantastic job of reminding everyone why small teams of passionate developers can be so amazing.

My game is running flawlessly from a technical standpoint at this time. Watching you run around smashing game mechanic bugs and balance issues is great.

I'm really happy with this situation, especially after the disasters that were Total War Rome II (which took months of patching to become "Playable) and Xcom Enemy Within (Which to this day is broken on xbox and the developers have officially told us thanks for the money. No more patches. Go pound sand)

I look forward to the continued improvements to universe and hope you gain enough attention to collect the resources which will enable you to make Distant Worlds II everything you hope it will be.
Beastro

Post by Beastro »

Just got time to play it and it's working perfectly, thanks so much for fixing this.

Return to “Tech Support”