MORE ZOOM LEVELS, PLEASE

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
Shorker

MORE ZOOM LEVELS, PLEASE

Post by Shorker »

I wished in "Panthers In The Fog" and "Gateway To Caen" there would be more zoom levels for to zoom in
into the action - minimum one more zoom level like it was/is in "Close Combat III - Eastern Front".

It is no big deal to add one or more zoom levels to the game - why is it not done?
I'm also playing "Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy".
benpark

RE: MORE ZOOM LEVELS, PLEASE

Post by benpark »

Agreed. My eyes really strain without the additional level of zoom.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

If you reduce the resolution, you will see everything bigger.

I feel that you will make another thread when Bloody First be released telling "less zoom levels".[:'(]
incrediblestone

Post by incrediblestone »

I have same problem too.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Unfortunately it is a LOT of work to add more zoom levels in a non 3D program.

In CC3 they redrew every single vehicle for the zoomed in view (soldiers were just shown at double the size).
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

To change the resolution you need to change your desk top as well most inconvenient.
I have changed my desk top to 1600 x 1050, this res I can put up with in my every day life on my computer, however it still a strain on my old eyes. Perhaps like every think else these days the devs are only interested in the young market, a pity really still lots of oldies wanting to play games.
Formerly Goodwood

Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

ORIGINAL: BASB

To change the resolution you need to change your desk top as well most inconvenient.
I have changed my desk top to 1600 x 1050, this res I can put up with in my every day life on my computer, however it still a strain on my old eyes. Perhaps like every think else these days the devs are only interested in the young market, a pity really still lots of oldies wanting to play games.
This is not true. I use a gigabyte nvidia gtx660 graphics card, my desktop is set to 1680x1050 and I play to 1280x1024.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Yes you are right I had the windows mode box checked. [:)]
ORIGINAL: Nomada_Firefox

ORIGINAL: BASB

This is not true. I use a gigabyte nvidia gtx660 graphics card, my desktop is set to 1680x1050 and I play to 1280x1024.
Formerly Goodwood

vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

CC had three zooms originally so I'm gonna have to say I agree. Another 'zoom in' level is needed via magnifier. Getting old eyes :D
jpanzer

Post by jpanzer »

Sorry if this is Thread Necro but it was hoped I could bring this up since its so far the only real gripe that I have. having an extra zoom level ought not to be difficult as the other CC's had the option [:(]
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Reading glasses my serve as a solution for some. They help me identify those small pixelated soldiers.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
jpanzer

Post by jpanzer »

Might work as a stop gap but in all seriousness if they were in the other games why not this one? Surely it cant be difficult to patch. Hope the devs read this [&o]
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

Sorry, we can't add zoom, it's a mountain of work and recoding. It hasn't been a feature for many versions of Close Combat, and understand it can be harder to see your men given that the game has evolved into ever larger screen resolutions. Hopefully Conrad's upcoming blood mod for soldiers will at least help you see the dead and wounded.
jpanzer

Post by jpanzer »

I get that its work and all and im no video game coder or anything buuuut....srsly? That's a pretty....lazy excuse, to put things politely...is there not some kind of means to import the 'coding' from, say, CC2 and extrapolate it? Maybe not. In any event the blood mod you speak of any idea when/where it will be available?
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

half the players have to use windowed mode to play the game because for some reason CC and windows 8 dont always work together?? so changing the game res does mean changing your desk top res, does it not?

the issue i cant figure out is PITF had issues with windows 8 and having to use windowed mode, and we STILL have the same problem with GWTC.....why?
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Someone may have already mentioned it, but you can turn on soldier outlines in the Game Options, which makes your soldiers much easier to see.

Steve
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

I set the soldier outlines to "COVER"
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Is it really that big of a deal? if you want closer in-your-face action, just lower the resolution to 800x600.

The amount of work needed for such a trivial and not so useful feature is prohibitive (under the current code, there need to have 2 vehicle skins, one for zoomed in and other for normal view) given the small code team and the supposed messy code itself (according to the guys in the know).

Do you have CC3/cc2? how many times you used the zoom in feature? did you play complete games zoomed in? why do you have the need to see the vehicles so close? because really, only the vehicles look right and crispier since the other things are distorted, again under the already used code for zooming in.
Hard-core Spectre
jpanzer

Post by jpanzer »

If you must know, I have indeed owned CC2 and used the third zoom quite frequently. Its rather difficult to differentiate between units in GTC when basicllay EVERYTHING is one shade of GREEN or another. Its not so much for vehicles, thats fine, its the infantry that is the issue.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”