How to add new planets?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

jesse9705

How to add new planets?

Post by jesse9705 »

I want to add new types of planets to the game, not using the game editor, but new actual types. So how would I mod new types of planets into the game, and how can I mod new events into the game that will occur in every map that will generate. I cannot find anyway to do this and the modding tutorial isn't very helpful for anything other than light modding. So how could I do this?
Mansen

RE: How to add new planets?

Post by Mansen »

I don't think you can add new types of planets to the game.
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
SVWGiant

Post by SVWGiant »

In my Topic I´ve reported the problem with new textures. In the modding guide is a sufficient instruction but the "other"-folder seems not do be read by the game engine. I dont know if the devs are informed, what is in the guide. Waiting for Patch 1.9.5.4 and hope ;)
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

ORIGINAL: SVWGiant

In my Topic I´ve reported the problem with new textures. In the modding guide is a sufficient instruction but the "other"-folder seems not do be read by the game engine. I dont know if the devs are informed, what is in the guide. Waiting for Patch 1.9.5.4 and hope ;)

Different topic - This is about adding new planettypes, not images. Like a diamond world, a ringworld or a dyson sphere. Or something entirely different.
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
SVWGiant

Post by SVWGiant »

Ah OK, Im sorry.
That´s really unable at this time. But at the End, he must add nee planet textures for it, so it must go on...
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I wish we could add an actual forest type planet. On one hand we have continental planets and on the other we have marshy swamp planets and this is supposed to cover potential forest planets. However i think of a forest planet as being legitimately it's own category. A continental planet is basically one that has continents[no really!?]. But what if it doesn't have continents? What if its just one big land mass with small seas here and there? No actual oceans, but it has vegetation...trees...plants etc. It could be a marshy swamp planet...it could be a desert planet, or even a volcano planet. But it could also be covered in trees, perhaps HUGE trees like the wookie planet in star wars.

Another i would have liked to see is a mountain planet. Perhaps the planet was once a volcanic planet but has cooled and volcanic activity has ceased. Or it is a planet about to erupt and become a volcanic planet which would make for some interesting planet events.
jesse9705

Post by jesse9705 »

I specifically want to add worlds that don't have a spherical shape, due to constant asteroid strikes. I want to add a few others too, like ocean planets with liquids other than water, forest worlds, fungal forest worlds, a few others too. I really don't feel as if this game is truly "Moddable" just pseudo-moddable :\
Ra131

Post by Ra131 »

This is game truly " moddable " only in description :) . I tried made the difference in planets type in images, but this is only visual difference :( .
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Ah like red/yellow ocean planets for instance. As far as non spherical shaped planets, it's scientifically improbable. Even if the Earth was hit by another planet such as mars right now it would reform into a sphere. But your game your rules :]
jesse9705

Post by jesse9705 »

It's actually scientiffically possible for non-spherical worlds apparently, like torus worlds. Though it'd be very unlikely.
Dd_01

Post by Dd_01 »

It would be nice to have imagesets for each planet type depending from quality. E.g. low quality ocean worlds will be red/yellow, desert ones may look like barren rock planets etc.

Return to “Design and Modding”