Updated Public Beta Update v1.2.0.7 Available

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Andrew Loveridge

Updated Public Beta Update v1.2.0.7 Available

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

Hello All,

We have an updated Public Beta that addresses a number of Production issues, and other related bugs. It is available in the Members Club.

Please try it out, if you would like to help us improve the game. Let us know how it works for you.

Change List

V1.2.0.7 Beta – July 3, 2014
    Bug Fixes[/b] [ul]
  • Fixed a bug in the Move French Naval Allied subphase of the create Vichy France phase so that the end-of-phase button now remains disabled until all the naval units have been rebased. Previously the player could terminate the subphase while there were still French units in Allied controlled hexes. That situation resulted in a fatal error later.
  • Fixed a bug where US carrier air units would sometimes appear in the Vichy France setup tray when creating Vichy France.
  • Fixed a problem with building convoy points over multiple turns during one gaming session. The program was tacking on the old convoy points to the new ones so all the convoys arrived when the newest one was built.
  • Fixed a problem where militia units in the Future Force Pool were being moved into the Force Pool as part of Annual Additions in the Jan/Feb turns. Now those units remain in the Future Force Pool until the controlling major power goes to war with another major power.
  • Added code to correct previously saved games which have militia units in the Force Pool when they should be in the Future Force Pool. When those games are now restored, the militia units are moved into the Future Force Pool where they belong.
  • Fixed a problem with previously saved build points in a hex not being completely removed (internal variables still thought the BPs were in the hex) at the beginning of the Production phase, which caused saving one BP in their hex to appear as two BPs (one old and one new). The previously saved build points that are usable in production and now completely removed; they’re added to the major power’s available build points.
  • Fixed a problem with deleted usable saved build points at the start of the Production phase not being added to a major power’s available build points. Only Germany got to use saved build points. This correction required creating additional variables for the Production phase and writing them out to the saved game file. Although these changes do not affect most of the older saved games, games which were saved prior to version 1.2.0.6, during the Production phase, will not restore correctly. Games saved using version 1.2.0.6 or later, and all games saved during phases other than Production should be fine.
  • The saved game I had where Japan was not sending a build point to the US now works correctly. I am not sure which of the changes I made over the past couple of weeks caused that to happen. If anyone encounters the problem in the future, I would like to have a saved game.
  • Corrected the time it takes for a factory to be repaired, so it is 2 turns both as displayed on the Production form and also in actual practice. The damaged factory unit is moved into the Production Pools to arrive 2 turns hence.
  • Modified the code for restoring saved games so all factories in the Repair Pool are damaged, as shown by unit graphics. Build points need to be spent during the Production phase to repair damaged factories. Factories in the Reserve Pool are undamaged, but in hexes controlled by enemy forces. When the original owner regains control of any of those hexes, the corresponding factory units in the Reserve Pool are removed from the game and their factories are immediately usable in the following Production phase.
  • Fixed several problems related to repairing damaged Blue factories. Most of these had to do with saving and restoring internal variables concerning which factory in a hex was damaged (i.e., the Factory Index).
  • Modified the Save and Restore Game functions so damaged factories that are repaired are correctly saved and restored in games that are saved between the production phase when the factory is repaired and the reinforcement phase when it arrives as a ‘reinforcement’ (two turns later).
  • Added code to correct the Factory Index for factory units that are not on the map (e.g., in the Repair and Reserve Pools). This correction takes place when a game is restored. The Factory Index was correct when the factory unit was created, so the program uses the name of the unit to restore the correct value for the factory index. For example, a factory unit in the Reserve Pool with the name Lille/2, is the 3rd factory in Lille. Like many computer counting schemes, the first factory is #0. The first factory in Lille is Red and the other two are Blue. So Lille/2 is the second blue factory in Lille. London/0 would be the first red factory in London. Having the correct factory index is essential when using the optional rule for damaging and repairing factories. Units for factories that are moving or newly built, have a Factory Index of zero. When they are placed in a city, they are assigned an internal factory number (and the factory unit is removed from the game).
  • Made modifications to the start of scenario data so all those that begin after February 1942 have East Timor as conquered by the Japanese.
Cosmetic
  • Modified the code for Moving French Units At Sea during the creation of Vichy France so the detailed map centers on the first unit in the Selectable Units list.
  • Added a line of code so the detailed map refreshes correctly at the start of Moving French Units in Allied Controlled Hexes during the creation of Vichy France.
  • Corrected the centering hex when the question about Liberating or Surrendering a country is asked, so the detailed map centers on the country being liberated/surrendered.
  • Added a line of code so when a decision about surrendering a country needs to be made, the detailed map centers on that country.
  • Added a line of code so when the message about a country being conquered is displayed, the program not only centers on that country, it also refreshes the detailed map.
[/ul]

V1.2.0.2 Beta – June 16, 2014
    Bug Fixes[/b] [ul]
  • Fixed a problem where HQ’s in coastal hexes were shown as in supply, but were not functioning as secondary supply sources.
  • Fixed a problem where a minor country unit was permitted to trace an illegal overland supply path using an HQ or city belonging to a different minor country.
  • Fixed a problem where a minor country unit was permitted to trace an illegal overseas supply path using an HQ or city belonging to a different minor country.
  • Fixed a problem with overseas supply when NOT playing with the optional rule Limited Overseas Supply, where because friendly major powers could trace supply through a sea area cooperating major powers were also able to trace supply through the sea area. For instance, if the US could trace supply through the Mediterranean (because they were only at war with Japan), the Commonwealth was being permitted to ‘use’ that US capability to supply Commonwealth units in North Africa, despite the presence of German and Italian naval combat units in the Med. That is no longer possible. Note that the code already handled this situation correctly when using Limited Overseas Supply.
  • Fixed the problem with sending build points to an incompletely conquered major power (e.g., Free France).
  • Fixed the problem with build points not being marked as lost when they are part of a trade agreement but no path to a viable destination exists. For instance, when Free France is set up in the Cameroons, only 2 build points can be sent to the capital. There are no other cities in the Cameroons and no major ports, so the maximum build points Free France can receive is 2.
  • Fixed a production planning problem where neutral major powers were able to use convoys belonging to active major powers on their side (i.e., major powers at war with another major power) to route resources and build points overseas. Now active major powers (only) can use convoys belonging to other active major powers on their side (only) for routing resources and build points overseas.
  • Fixed a production planning problem where overseas routes that had previously been valid, were not being checked for sufficient convoy capacity in the last sea area in the old overseas route. For instance, a resource successfully sent from the US to the United Kingdom in an earlier turn might go through three sea areas. The program tries to reuse old routes (to save the player time and effort), but it was only checking the current convoy capacity in the first two of the three sea areas (it checked the first sea area twice). The result was that there might be no convoys at all in, say, the Bay of Biscay, but the program would behave as if there were an infinite number.
  • Fixed a production planning problem in Barbarossa where the program was not computing routes for resources other than the one from Hungary. The missing conditional clause was for resources being received from trade agreements. The program now computes routes for the Hungarian resource and all the other resources except those received from trade agreements. This latter condition is necessary since most of the trade agreement resources come from countries that are technically not part of the game (e.g., Spain and Turkey) therefore the routes would traverse parts of the map that are not in play.
  • Fixed a problem in Barbarossa where the use of the Baltic convoys by Germany wasn’t being shown with a 1 in the C column of the resources list.
  • Fixed a problem with saving saved games that had to do with determining which major power controlled partisans for SubCountries (e.g., South Dobruja). That code was executing even though SubCountries never get partisans, so these corrections only affect internal processing.
  • Fixed the problem where Chinese warlords were always removed from the map when China was conquered or surrendered.
  • Eliminated the possibility of Germany enforcing Rumanian peace when a USSR unit is in Transylvania, South Dobruja, or Rumania proper.
  • Added a check for no selectable units during forced rebase digressions which at times were causing a fatal error.
  • Fixed a problem with units being forced to relocate to the hex in which they started the Relocate Units Digression. For example, this occurred when the USSR conquered Lithuania while not at war with Germany and a German unit in Lithuania was forced to relocate. Now the German unit is forced to relocate to a country other than Lithuania. This also happened to Japanese units in Persia when Persia was conquered by the USSR while Japan was not at war with the USSR; as well as when Guatemala, aligned to the US, was conquered by Japan.
Cosmetic
  • Clarified the text for additional attacker losses during a failed invasion. For example: “Attacker loses invading units plus 1 unit.”
  • Improved a warning message in the Production Planning form so it does not contain a spurious reference to “no path found to a factory” when the real problem was that the current major power did not control the resource.
[/ul]
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Public Beta Update v1.2.0.2 Available

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I just want to add that the problem with saving games listed above did not generate a fatal error message. The program would still run just swell. Instead, the saved game was incomplete (terminated without reporting the error before writing out all the necessary data to the GAM file). When the player attempted to restore the GAM file, the program would go into an infinite loop while trying to load Country Data.

So, any of those saved games will still not load. But the program shouldn't generate incomplete GAM files any more.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I have just downloaded and in the top left hand corner it states Version 1.2.0.3?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I have just downloaded and in the top left hand corner it states Version 1.2.0.3?

As you are a beta tester you have the one with the debug tool, which is 1.2.0.3.
tacfire

Post by tacfire »

The version I downloaded says 1.2.0.3 as well.

Is the debug tool going to pop up in the middle of my game? :(
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: tacfire

Haven't had that experience [:)], If you haven't seen that extra pull-down menu it is only a typo in the version.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: tacfire

warspite1

I'm glad you said that - I couldn't understand how the computer would know if I was a beta tester or not!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Just curious, besides fixing production bugs are there plans to enhance the production planning process with the next update; ie, automate convoys or anything like that?

FYI, I'm also seeing v1.2.0.3 displayed.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Just curious, besides fixing production bugs are there plans to enhance the production planning process with the next update; ie, automate convoys or anything like that?

FYI, I'm also seeing v1.2.0.3 displayed.

We all hope that, but that is up to Steve. In any case he will first fix the bugs in production.
carpenkm

Post by carpenkm »

Can I just ask, do I just download the exe and run it?
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: carpenkm

Can I just ask, do I just download the exe and run it?
Yes.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Andrew Loveridge

RE: Updated Public Beta Update v1.2.0.7 Available

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

There is an updated version now available, with notes added in OP.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

This latest public beta includes our first pass on the production planning issues. Please let us know how it works for you.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Pax25

Post by Pax25 »

Thanks for getting us this before the long weekend.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Production Planning is taking eons to load through nations now!

Return to “World in Flames”