Really OT : World Cup 2014

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

traskott

RE: Really OT : World Cup 2014

Post by traskott »

Italia plays more fair than tradicionally they play. At current time every team plays more or less "dirty".
panzer cat

Post by panzer cat »

ORIGINAL: obvert

ORIGINAL: panzer cat

Soccer in the U.S is played by boys who's mom's do not allow them to play football, baseball or hockey. I'll pull for team USA, as the score scrolls across the screen during a Nat's game.

Huh. Not where I come from. Maybe you haven't heard about the concept of seasonal sports?

The US is a big place, so maybe don't speak for places you don't know so much about. The fact that you don't list basketball as one of your mom-approved sports during the NBA finals is also a bit odd.

I do watch the finals game and caught 2 of the U.S. games during the last world cup. I find the strategy interesting but the pace slow. Soccer mom's is a term used for overprotective mothers. Enjoying the NBA finals. Good luck in your campaign, I followed your last one.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Just watched Italy-England. Neither I thought played extremely well, and Joe Hart in goal is a liability. Both Italy goals were savable and he almost let Balotelli get another lobbing over him. Rooney muffed a number of good opportunities and one absolute sitter. Yuck.

Being an American and almost a UK citizen I've got a few teams I can support happily, but watching the Dutch has been the most fun so far.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

My condolences to our friends from across the pond. That's a tough way to start out in the tournament.
fair winds,
Brad
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

RE England - Italy. Really disappointing performance by the 3 Lions after Costa Rica handed them a golden opportunity to get out of the group. Even a draw would've been fine vs Italy but they let in a soft goal and don't know what to do with all the speed that I thought would serve them well in the tournament. Ugh.

I was watching the Colombia - Greece game with a friend who is a Colombian national at a local watering hole. He suggested a system of after the fact reviews in which video can allow referees to assess a yellow or red card for egregious diving, resulting in suspensions in later matches in league or tourney play. While this wouldn't affect the game in hand, that is almost impossible. The threat of losing players in the next game should have a real impact on diving, IMHO. I'm also ok with in game "penalty box" style systems, but fear they would create breaks in the action. I also think another referee should be added. In the current system, refs are very hesitant to award a yellow for diving, so the player either gets a "no call" or the desired penalty or free kick. Bottom line, players dive because on balance it works.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

A very entertaining game - probably just the right result, but a draw would not have flattered England either. Pirlo was just masterful as usual [&o]

On the positive side, England played SOOOOOO much better than 2-years ago (when their most regular pass was Hart - hoof up field - to Carroll's head [8|]).

It's still in our hands (we qualified in 1986 after 1 point from TWO matches) but that was quite a get out of jail. We likely need to despatch both Uruguay AND Honduras or we will be headed home....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

RE England - Italy. Really disappointing performance by the 3 Lions after Costa Rica handed them a golden opportunity to get out of the group. Even a draw would've been fine vs Italy but they let in a soft goal and don't know what to do with all the speed that I thought would serve them well in the tournament. Ugh.

I was watching the Colombia - Greece game with a friend who is a Colombian national at a local watering hole. He suggested a system of after the fact reviews in which video can allow referees to assess a yellow or red card for egregious diving, resulting in suspensions in later matches in league or tourney play. While this wouldn't affect the game in hand, that is almost impossible. The threat of losing players in the next game should have a real impact on diving, IMHO. I'm also ok with in game "penalty box" style systems, but fear they would create breaks in the action. I also think another referee should be added. In the current system, refs are very hesitant to award a yellow for diving, so the player either gets a "no call" or the desired penalty or free kick. Bottom line, players dive because on balance it works.

In field hockey they have been using the video system for quite a while now. It is a real asset. This is how it works:

- Referee may call upon the video ref if he gave a goal and doubts if the ball crossed the line
- Both teams may call upon the video referee if they doubt the decision made. If the calling team is RIGHT they keep the referral and the decision will be changed. If the calling team is WRONG the game is continued and they lose the referral!

I've been watching the World Cup field hockey and absolutely do not see why this wouldn't work with football....
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Italy-England was a good match imho. The most intrateining one i've watched so far in this WC.
I've been surprised by the brits. They have played really well and those 3 attackers are damned nasty (and fast!).
This is a little italy compared to the ones we used to have, but this good start could really boost our morale.
Balotelli's lob and Pirlo's free kick could have been the most sensational goals in this WC, just after Van Persie's dive!

Having lot of fun watching this WC!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Italy-England was a good match imho. The most intrateining one i've watched so far in this WC.
I've been surprised by the brits. They have played really well and those 3 attackers are damned nasty (and fast!).
This is a little italy compared to the ones we used to have, but this good start could really boost our morale.
Balotelli's lob and Pirlo's free kick could have been the most sensational goals in this WC, just after Van Persie's dive!

warspite1

No, no, no [:-][:-]

[;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

warspite1

No, no, no [:-][:-]

[;)]

[&:]
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

He said "Brit" as in British. Not quite sure our welsh, scottish, and Northern Irish cousins are supporting us!

Good game, probably deserved a draw but the difference was Pirlo. He's a bit good!

Think we might struggle now, as the we don't play well under pressure
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

Too bad Italy started with just one striker and I couldn't laugh for 90 minutes at the unfortunately name Immobile. Who did give an Inzaghi like born on offside performance for the 12 minutes he was on. And a good thing they faced the English, if it was the Brits, then Ramsey and Bales would have made for a very different result as those two can actually score quite reliably.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

The USA-Ghana match will need boats as it started raining in Natal during Mexico's win and hasn't stopped since. The best of drainage can't handle to downpours.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Maglio

Post by Maglio »

Just to Add my own grain of salt,

Coming from a country where football (The real one not the one they play in the US [;)] ) is almost a religion, we have great expectations for our team, and being on group B (The real and only group of death) is hardly encouraging, however wining with Australia and on the wake of the surprising beating the Dutch gave the Spaniards we are patiently waiting our match with the world champion on Wednesday .

I love the world cup, it brings the best of everyone, whole countries forget their internal disputes and join behind their 11 representatives, it’s quite inspiring.
“Tres barquichuelos dieron a los Reyes de España la posesión del Nuevo Mundo, estas cuatro tablas van a quitárselo”.

Bernardo O' Higgins, October 10th, 1818, while watching the Chilean first fleet getting underway.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

The USA-Ghana match will need boats as it started raining in Natal during Mexico's win and hasn't stopped since. The best of drainage can't handle to downpours.

Actually, it can. I doubt that the Brazilians have done this, but the University of Georgia built their football field to handle draining up to 12 inches of rain per day. They started with a thick (2'? 3'?) layer of gravel under the dirt on top of which the grass sod was laid. Of course, it helps that the football field was built above a creek bed so that the water has a route for draining away once it has soaked through the gravel filter.
fair winds,
Brad
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

UT Austin has a similar system. Ironic given it never rains anymore in Texas.

I will agree England played much better than 2010. But I had high expectations for the young guns. Hodgson seemed to want to concede possession and try to counter with speed. However, IMHO conceding possession to a team like Italy plays into their hands. Like Spain and Arsenal, Italy want the ball. I thought pressing Pirlo and De Rossi might have worked better. Then again Pirlo IS amazing.
panzer cat

Post by panzer cat »

My dutch pbem opponent may not survive the weekend. They've beat spain, austrailia in womens field hockey and play for the mens title tody. I might need to find someone else to sink my fleet.
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Maglio
Just to Add my own grain of salt,

Coming from a country where football (The real one not the one they play in the US [;)] ) is almost a religion, we have great expectations for our team, and being on group B (The real and only group of death) is hardly encouraging, however wining with Australia and on the wake of the surprising beating the Dutch gave the Spaniards we are patiently waiting our match with the world champion on Wednesday .

I love the world cup, it brings the best of everyone, whole countries forget their internal disputes and join behind their 11 representatives, it’s quite inspiring.
I'm from Puerto Varas. El grupo de la muerte nos debe respetar ahora. One down, and one more to go till we can get into el último grupo de 16. ¡ Vamos! Chile, ¡ Vamos! La Roja.

Saw Switzerland v Ecuador. A heartbreaking loss for Ecuador in the last 30 seconds. But saw some very good (spectacular on occasion) play from both sides. That was World Cup futbol. Kudos to Switzerland, sincere condolences to Ecuador.

This one is oh, so much better than that nonsense in 2010 in SA. [:D]
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

"This one is oh, so much better than that nonsense in 2010 in SA. "

At least it is nowhere near as irritating to watch. [;)]
fair winds,
Brad
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

The Germans are playing tonight. Surely they will overrun Portugal.[:D]