Delaying Action at Ptjurnikow

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: Jason Petho

KGWiking

Delaying Action at Ptjurnikow

Post by KGWiking »

9/21/39
Our battalion is given the task of blocking a local counter-attack and making sure communications between two sectors of the front are established and continued. I have my own battered command, a company of infantry from the reserve battalion, a company of PAK 38 guns, an MG company, two batteries of 75MM and 2 150 MM artillery an anti-aircraft light flak company and a troop of cavalry.

I make the main advance with the on loan infantry company with some of my battered platoons (really squads) as a forward screen line to keep an eye on the flanks. Meanwhile those platoons at 1/3 strength or more including my machine gun company advance en echelon to the east of the one objective I wish to secure. There is a heavy wooded terrain which shields my flanking movement. We do the old maxim of "getting there first with the most" and secure a VL which has enough of a killing zone - and then is shielded by woods. I put my stronger sections of my command in the woods and make sure they can support each other and use the reserve elements on loan to push to the exit location and link up with the other regiments in the sector. This goes very well and I take very few casualties from my inherent command, exit sizable support units and my own battered battalion off the map while I shift and have the support and reserve battalion infantry fend of the few Polish units that are left.

We were opposed by two troops of cavalry and two battalions of infantry with a large amount of artillery support as well as an anti-tank company.

I get the outstanding performance and my command is still in good shape.

Here is my OOB
Bn HQ M5 S1 XP 133
Major 6/1

Company A ZUG 6/1
1st Platoon M6 S2 XP 183
2nd Platoon M6 S1 XP 33
3rd Platoon M6 S2 XP 183

Company B ZUG 6/1
1st Platoon M6 S2 X 83
2nd Platoon M6 S1 X 83
3rd Platoon M6 S1 X 33

Company C ZUG KIA
1st Platoon M6 S1 X 183
2nd Platoon M6 S5 X 183
3rd Platoon M6 S3 X 83

MG Company Zug 6/1
MG 1 M6 S2 X183
MG 2 M6 S2 X183
MG 3 M6 S1 X183

Wagons S4, S1, S0

Replacements are so slow in coming. My hope is to get BN HQ up to speed first and then the MG 1 to Lvl 2. Then I'd like to get a few of the 1 in the Rifle companies back to 2 so at least I can have them somewhat engaged. Of Course getting a company commander is important, but I tend to use the Major for that role.

From the Field -- KG Wiking OUT!
Come with me and I'll show you where the Crosses of Iron grow

Return to “After Action Reports”