Most Unofficial Brazil 2014 World Cup Thread

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: Most Unofficial Brazil 2014 World Cup Thread

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: cohimbra

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

In Barkley you have a world-class player. Mark my words.
Sterling is another good one.

warspite1

Yes, he played very well.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Well played Italy - overall they probably deserved the win, but the England performance was a million miles better than the game against Italy 2-years ago.

I disagree. 2 - 2 would have been the fair result. Definitely the best match so far. Two great teams [8D]

And Pirlo is just err... amazing. In Barkley you have a world-class player. Mark my words.
warspite1

I disagree, while 2-2 would not have been an unfair result - I don't see how you can say an Italian victory was unfair.

No, I am not saying it was unfair. They won fair and square. I mean that both teams were excellent and kept attacking, trying to win the match (as it always should be on my book: death to parking the bus [:D]). That's why I think a draw would have been the right outcome, to reward both teams, because both deserved it [8D]

EDIT: but of course I needed the "1 - 2" result to bag 5 points in our game. So for all I care this result is most welcome
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Another enjoyable game. Enjoying this world cup so far.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

For those watching BBC, just how BAD is Phil Neville? [>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:]
warspite1

Looks like I was not the only one [:D]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldc ... Italy.html

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

It was a good performance from England for the most part. Wayne Rooney is not included in that IMO and the wait for him to have a good game continues. He's not as good as he thinks truth be told, as an actual striker he's good but he falls far short of the ability of the two players he seems desperate to emulate. It's a shame really, he was built up early in his career as the greatest English player of his generation (or ever?) instead of people being happy he's a good striker.

It's not a terrible result, after all Italy tend to do better against the (so called) big teams and it's one in the eye for everyone who complained that Roy Hodgson would create dull teams with no attacking drive.

P.S. Phil Neville was boring, but better than Andy Townsend. Or Mark Lawrenson.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

It was a good performance from England for the most part. Wayne Rooney is not included in that IMO and the wait for him to have a good game continues. He's not as good as he thinks truth be told, as an actual striker he's good but he falls far short of the ability of the two players he seems desperate to emulate. It's a shame really, he was built up early in his career as the greatest English player of his generation (or ever?) instead of people being happy he's a good striker.

It's not a terrible result, after all Italy tend to do better against the (so called) big teams and it's one in the eye for everyone who complained that Roy Hodgson would create dull teams with no attacking drive.

P.S. Phil Neville was boring, but better than Andy Townsend. Or Mark Lawrenson.
warspite1

Andy Townsend ..... ITV presentation just sucks and always has. And as for that "Brazil" music that accompanies the program [8|]. Mark Lawrenson just gets worse with each year [:(]

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

warspite1

Andy Townsend ..... ITV presentation just sucks and always has. And as for that "Brazil" music that accompanies the program [8|]. Mark Lawrenson just gets worse with each year [:(]

Andy Townsend? Not for me Clive. I just don't understand how someone who is paid to commentate and provide analysis on football can be so bloody miserable whilst doing it.

I think the biggest problem is that Sky grab most of the commentators and analysts who turn out to be any good. A few times on Match of the Day I've felt that certain members of their panel have acted like ****s towards other 'guest' analysts (e.g. Lee Dixon) for whatever reason. There are some good commentators out there on 'normal' TV, but generally they don't get to present Ingerlund games. [:(]

Gary Neville may have been a bit of a twunt as a player (IMO at least) but doing studio analysis etc he's a lot better than most, because he actually seems to do some research before hand.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

ORIGINAL: terje439

100% professional actors? [:D]
Come within 3 inches of an Italian player, he falls down in what appears to be agony, rolls 4 times around the field, only to jump up either to cheer or yell at the ref, after the ref has given a free kick one way or another.

England wins 2-0 (Gerrard and Rooney)
oops, we did it again...I'm sorry...maybe next time.
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: terje439
100% professional actors? [:D]
Come within 3 inches of an Italian player, he falls down in what appears to be agony, rolls 4 times around the field, only to jump up either to cheer or yell at the ref, after the ref has given a free kick one way or another.

To be fair, I don't think it's only the Italians [:)] See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ZY9sJe0rY

"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

Returning serious, England team is better than I expected. It played very well, with very dangerous and speedy counter-attack; the entire match for Chiellini & Paletta was a nightmare. England have a lot of fast players with good technique, players that are very good for 1 vs 1 duels. The real gap, in my opinion, is the lack of lethal scorer (like Balotelli, 2 ball played, 1 gol scored...). And I agree with people that sustain a draw is the right result for the match...ok, we could score a pair more goal (Balotelli & Candreva in the final of 1st half, Pirlo in the final of the match), but England too (the Barzagli quasi-own goal in the 1st half, the shoot by Rooney in the 2nd with Sirigu wrong-footed). Both team played for win. Honestly, is the best England that I remember (I begin to follow soccer in '90 years), very dangerous team. And about Italy? Italy played well, my doubt are about the defense phase, the worst in the story of Italy...defender lack in base technique, speed and concentration (in fact De Rossi was forced to play literally on the line of defenders to help them); about midfield and attack I think we are ok at the moment...pity that Pirlo will retire by Italy at the end of World Cup. Now, the greater danger is the wounded Uruguay...never underestimate south american team, Costarica too. We'll see.
Mac67

Post by Mac67 »

Argentina 2 Bosnia 1. The Argies looked kind of flat-footed until Messi came alive in the second half and scored. All in all I think its shaping up to be a great World Cup. Plenty of goals and plenty of drama. [;)]
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

ImageThe Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
TulliusDetritus

Germany 3 - 0 Portugal

Half time (45 mn more to bag more goals LOL)

And Pepe *surprise surprise*... red card

I don't think Portugal are that bad. Au contraire, I think THIS German team is an Uber Football Machine again [X(] After the match yesterday (Argentina) I am pretty certain now it's going to be between Brazil and Germany. 4 years later, the organizer of Argentina is again Mascherano... a defensive, destructive midfielder [8|] On the second half Gago was in, but this guy is no Xavi, Lahm, not even close.

A lot of dynamite forward (best attacking team of the WC no doubt)... but who's going to prepare, feed these attacks? They're going to suffer a lot when they are going to face tough, real teams... Brazil, Germany and Italy (and Spain, provided their cycle is not over and they make it to the next level).
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

What the hell have FIFA done?!?!?

I still can't work out what exactly was the directive but, whatever it was, it was cobblers [:@]

Portugal - all red, and different shades of red at that. Germany and England all white, with the former sporting a hideous red chevron, at least France kept their red socks..... one word.... NO!!!!!

Angry from London [:@]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Ghana and the USA must be loving this.... If they don't cancel each other out, maybe a chance of qualification for one?

Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Seems Germany is doing a great job as the grim reaper in this so called "group of death"
Hard-core Spectre
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: Kanov

Seems Germany is doing a great job as the grim reaper in this so called "group of death"

[:D]

Accurate analogy! They are going to cut 3 heads off (Portugal's already in the bag) ie 9 points harvested methinks [8D]
Orm

Post by Orm »

Ghana and the USA must be loving this.... If they don't cancel each other out, maybe a chance of qualification for one?
I doubt that they will qualify. Portugal will bounce back.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

I still can't work out what exactly was the directive but, whatever it was, it was cobblers [:@]

Portugal - all red, and different shades of red at that. Germany and England all white, with the former sporting a hideous red chevron, at least France kept their red socks..... one word.... NO!!!!!

I have not heard that FIFA was involved in this. I thought it was respective country that decided their own kits.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I have not heard that FIFA was involved in this. I thought it was respective country that decided their own kits.
warspite1

I read something to the effect that FIFA ordered essentially one colour for each strip. It cannot have been compulsory as Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina have kept their traditional colours.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

How BAD is this match? The standard of football is awful.......

Iran 0-0 Nigeria [>:][>:][>:][>:]

Return to “General Discussion”