Basic info on War in the West 43-45

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

governato

RE: Basic info on War in the West 43-45

Post by governato »

I think most players of WITE are quite happy with the current way production is set, but they get very frustrated when the game evolves in a way that certain items are over/under produced (say too many tanks when the front is static, but not enough artillery).
This is certainly not realistic, and probably as unrealistic as giving full production control to the players.

But, having the ability to change the emphasis on production within say 10-15% (or any historical estimate of the flexibility in the production chain on a timescale of several months ) would not bring the game into fantasy/strategic land and would let the players adapt to the specific situation, pretty much as in real life (think Guderian restructuring tank production in '43). This could just be a simple option to be chosen by the players within a certain time frame. This solution 'd go a long way resolving players' unease with the Axis production, without setting the game on a slippery slope towards Hearts of Iron or other strategic level games.

swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Well said. Your rant has quieted my disappointment with WitE restrictions to production & equipment management.

But what do you think allowing German aircraft production & assignment changes and making Soviet force structure builds a key factor in WitE?

For that matter, WitE does go too far (IMHO) with detail ToE's, equipment variations, or leadership data. Research is impressive, but at what cost to game play and game features?
Joel Billings

RE: Basic Info on War in the West 43-45

Post by Joel Billings »

Erik is guessing there will be a WitW forum by the end of May or June. Maybe on June 6? [:)]
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

One simple way to control the hindsight issue with production is gearing limits like in World in Flames and other games. You could have gearing limits on research too like in the Commander series. Where you cannot increase research in one area until all areas have the same level lads. So no 2 level labs until everything has a level 1 lab.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Even with constraints on research, there is still the issue that players will always analyze the pure stats of each item and then just build the best (or at least the combination that gives the best bang for buck). For example, a player would just build P51 as the standard US fighter, yet real issues means the US actually built P51, P38 and P47 in parallel (not to mention F6F, F4U, etc). Unless the economics system makes that not a stupid option (assuming the US ordering system wasn't stupid), any game is just fantasy. Even limited shifts would worry me, although mostly because once you allow say +/-10% the debates on 'why no 11%, or 15%...' start.
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
BJP III

Post by BJP III »

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

Even with constraints on research, there is still the issue that players will always analyze the pure stats of each item and then just build the best (or at least the combination that gives the best bang for buck). For example, a player would just build P51 as the standard US fighter, yet real issues means the US actually built P51, P38 and P47 in parallel (not to mention F6F, F4U, etc). Unless the economics system makes that not a stupid option (assuming the US ordering system wasn't stupid), any game is just fantasy. Even limited shifts would worry me, although mostly because once you allow say +/-10% the debates on 'why no 11%, or 15%...' start.

Exactly. There are two separate (but related) problems. First, by virtue of hindsight, we know what the most successful designs will be, so it is easy to make all the "right" decisions in terms of production, way ahead of schedule. Second, and more game-specific, it is easy to max/min the attributes of each weapons system based on the game data and mechanics, so you can end up with an army stacked with a bizarre and historically impossible allocation of weapons -- like 33% Hetzers, 33% Flammpanzers and 33% 75mm-sporting halftracks, with the Landsers carrying 50% SMGs and 50% flamethrowers. (NOTE -- these are not based on the WITE values, but on a certain other game that I have spent way too much time playing over the years).
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I would like to pre-order (Joke) WitE 2.0 would this be potentially a 6 player game Germany USSR United Kingdom France Italy and USA.
Or two player like WitE 1.0. Be Great. But as I a getting older I am concerned that by the date of release I may have problems remembering my wife's name let alone playing a game of this complexity.

To Answer my own question yes it will be 6 player and Don't hold your breath LOL
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

HattiusRattius

Post by HattiusRattius »

Perhaps this is a bit late in the day but I have a request. I have recently come back to this game and have been using a Map Mod written by a chap called Jison. Apart from being a very good mod there is one specific element to this mod I find extremely helpful, which is the soft factor display on the left hand of the counter using horizontal lines instead of the usual colour codes from the original game.

Being colour blind [8D] I obviously find the use of this mod extremely beneficial. Can something like this be implemented in the upcoming War in the West or is this a bit late in the day to be asking this ?
Any Fool Can Be Cold
daniel123

Post by daniel123 »

I just came back from your official 2x3 site no update there in a long time
http://2by3games.com/
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

You're right. We're too busy working on the game to post anything. A poor excuse but it's the truth since we don't have anyone dedicated to posting on our site.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

Wow. I just clicked on their site and noticed that Joel looks suspiciously like Hans Gruber.
"Joel"

Hans

Ketza

Post by Ketza »

He looks like a Union officer from the Civil War. Probably a Major.
gravyhair

Post by gravyhair »

Nah - it's definitely Gruber. Who knew?
Wise Men Still Seek Him
GARY L

Post by GARY L »

Any Update on War in the West Forum?
IronDuke_slith

Post by IronDuke_slith »

ORIGINAL: GARY L

It has been stolen by an international criminal mastermind based out of Germany...
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Maybe I am a bit behind but I just ran across this:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/507 ... n.the.West

Attachments
fort spam!.jpg
fort spam!.jpg (328.88 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Thank you! [:)]
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: GARY L

I'm looking forward to all the updates as well.
Best of luck going forward fellas.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Here's a screenshot of a recent Allied AI invasion in June 44 near Dieppe in the Campaign 43 scenario. Notice the different size airfields on the map. We keep making steady progress and are striving for a Fall 2014 release. I can only assume the large number of Italian labor battalions are out fixing various railyards that have been bombed by the Allied air forces.

This is not the first time I have been linked with Hans Gruber. [:)]

Attachments
invasionnearDieppe.jpg
invasionnearDieppe.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 149 times
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

ORIGINAL: Kamil

Will WitW take logistics seriously?

Agreed - Smaller scale provides an opportunity to initiate a load limit on each supply hex.
Not sure how you intend to use the Russians in the WITW games love to hear more detail there.
Hedgerows were an absolutely devastating defensive obstacle will that be reflected ?
lastly night movement Rail and Unit March and weather conditions affecting flight are big concerns.
A 2 phase combat segment would be nice given the standard meeting engagement then retreat combat pattern.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”