Extermination

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

aZmoDen

Extermination

Post by aZmoDen »

I decided to play as a military dictator and exterminate all the other populations in my empire.
It all seemed to be progressing well except for a couple of things:

1. Exterminate doesnt actually exterminate the population it just reduces it to 1 mill.
2. While exterminate was active, i had no population from my race move to that world.

So heres the question(s):

1. Why doesnt exterminate actually get rid of the other races completely?
2. How do you completely get rid of the other population on a planet?
3. How do i move my population to that world?

ParagonExile

RE: Extermination

Post by ParagonExile »

1. Yes it does, it takes a while though. I was playing a game in a war against the Yor, and I exterminated them because they were parasites. You may be experiencing a bug.

2. See above. Either bomb the planet till you can't bomb no more or set the policy to "exterminate"

3. You can't manually move population except through colony ships; most migrants come through passenger liners.

:3
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

I suggest setting the policy to relocate on all your colonies except one and have that as a death camp, once population gets down to the minimum switch to exterminate and it should deal with the last clump. If you have a race with a growth rate bonus on extermination you may want to make the death camp one of your larger colonies to get the max boost. Of course as you can only set policy by the two broad racial groups (same family/other family) that may complicate things.

The problem with immigration is your native race will favour moves to planets they consider an improvement over their previous home and generally speaking "Mass genocide in the streets" is not a great marketing ploy. Often all you can do is put the tax rate for that planet at zero and hope people go "The streets are lined with the bodies of the dead... but hey, no taxes!". Anyway, that is why I prefer to set the unwanted race either to "don't accept" (with plans to kill them later once I have enough of my race on the planet) or "relocate". If you do have a lot of other aliens around you don't want to hack into small pieces then I suggest setting it to "don't accept" and then wait for some of your colonists to turn up before getting the knives out.
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

We should be able to selectively exterminate/resettle/etc specific alien races and not just whole families.

Then the Atuuk will feel my reckoning...
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

Nope as far as I have seen the 'exterminate' policy has left 1 mil aliens unkilled for quite a while.

After they are down to 1 mil you can put 'do not accept' on all your colonies and 'resettle' on the one with 1 mil aliens. They should get shifted to some other empire but it could take forever.
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

We should be able to selectively exterminate/resettle/etc specific alien races and not just whole families.

Then the Atuuk will feel my reckoning...

I've always assumed the limitation was because you can have a huge number of custom races while the same/other family thing will be consistent no matter how many races modders throw in. I doubt that will change until DW2. However, I do think it would be nice to have a third policy group of "Enemy Races", which is basically any race your currently at war with.
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

1. Exterminate doesnt actually exterminate the population it just reduces it to 1 mill.
If I'm not mistaken, this is to prevent you from losing colonies due to reducing the total population of the planet to zero.
However, I do think it would be nice to have a third policy group of "Enemy Races", which is basically any race your currently at war with.
I foresee funny issues with this. "We the people of the Human Galactic Empire have made it a policy to exterminate citizens who are members of a species which dominates the factions that we are at war with. Since we are currently at war with the Human Galactic Republic, we ask all humans to report to the nearest extermination centers for immediate liquidation." Oops, I just killed off the population of my core worlds, including the homeworld ...

That, or I'm trying to build up a population of Quameno to get their science bonus into my empire and have the "exterminate enemies" population policy, and I get into a war with the Quameno Technocracy. Where did all those Quameno go? Oh, er, um ... oops? I don't think "we're sorry, guys, it was an accident" is going to work to bring them back into the fold.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

If I'm not mistaken, this is to prevent you from losing colonies due to reducing the total population of the planet to zero.

You can actually reduce population to zero with exterminate, considering I just did it :D
aZmoDen

Post by aZmoDen »

It seems theres 2 diferent behavoiurs happening here, because ive had exterminate set to any planet that has a dif population to mine and through my entire game never has the population gone under 1 mill.
From start to finish (defeated shakturi or whatever they are) and winning the guardian homeworld, every planet with exterminate has 1-3 mill of population on it.
This just doesnt seem to coincide with what your experiencing ParagonExile.
FingNewGuy

Post by FingNewGuy »

I have seen 'Exterminate' orders result in 0 Pop in every game I have used the order. In Shadows and Universe.
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

ORIGINAL: aZmoDen

It seems theres 2 diferent behavoiurs happening here, because ive had exterminate set to any planet that has a dif population to mine and through my entire game never has the population gone under 1 mill.
From start to finish (defeated shakturi or whatever they are) and winning the guardian homeworld, every planet with exterminate has 1-3 mill of population on it.
This just doesnt seem to coincide with what your experiencing ParagonExile.

I don't know what to say.

Sure, it seemed like the aliens hovered at 7 million for like five minutes, but eventually they all died and I had my colony ship right next to the planet re-colonize.

Are you sure you're not overlooking something? I know for certain that exterminating the population can destroy a colony.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”