Selectable Units Form

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Platon

Selectable Units Form

Post by Platon »

Is there a way to get a Selectable Units Form in the Rail Movement Phase?

with kind regards
And it is also my belief that there has to be CAP for the active player during Ground Support.
Centuur

RE: Selectable Units Form

Post by Centuur »

No. It isn't available in that phase. But now you've mentioned it, it is a good idea to have on available, since usually there aren't a lot of units on places from which they can railmove, so it will be an asset. I wonder what other people think about this...
Peter
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

No. It isn't available in that phase. But now you've mentioned it, it is a good idea to have on available, since usually there aren't a lot of units on places from which they can railmove, so it will be an asset. I wonder what other people think about this...

+1 - I keep forgetting units in this phase who should have railed out.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Since there are usually such a small number of units that can rail for each power, if I have rail moves left over, I just cycle through the selectable units using the arrows on the main form. It is amazing how often I find a unit that I have forgotten about.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Platon

Is there a way to get a Selectable Units Form in the Rail Movement Phase?

with kind regards
There are a couple small problems with doing this. More than any other phase, which units can move during the rail movement phase depends on which units have already moved. For instance, factories require at least 2 rail moves, so they would have to disappear from the list when the number of remaining rail moves drops down to one. And then restored to the list if a previous rail move were cancelled. HQs are another problem, since they can enable rail moves by other units when the HQ is in a non-station rail hex and stacked with other units.

It could be done, but it might be bothersome to code.

One practical reason for not doing it is that all air units in cities would be eligible for rail movement during a combined, so there could be dozens of units listed late in the game. When the Selectable Units form need to be scrolled, its usefulness decreases (in my opinion).
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Another limitation to have to code into the available list is: you can't rail a unit out of an enemy ZoC if it is the only unit in the hex.
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I think all this puts this one away in the "nice to have" portion of the game. No priority...
Peter

Return to “WIF School”