Red Thunder for 3.4?

Post advice on tactics and strategies here; share your experience on how to become a better wargamer.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Cfant

Red Thunder for 3.4?

Post by Cfant »

Hi guys! :)

Would like to play Red Thunder, but 3.2 is so old fashioned... anyone a info, if there is an update for Red Thunder (or a similar large WP-scenario) for 3.4?

Thanks and greetings!
Oberst_Klink

RE: Red Thunder for 3.4?

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Cfant2

Hi guys! :)

Would like to play Red Thunder, but 3.2 is so old fashioned... anyone a info, if there is an update for Red Thunder (or a similar large WP-scenario) for 3.4?

Thanks and greetings!
Alpha77 updated it, Cfant. See the modern database thread.

fb.asp?m=3366663

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

As usual, you are my hero, Herr Oberst [&o] (and alpha77, of course [;)])
Thanks a lot!
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Hi,

I had not updated it, because a) I have not asked/gotten permission to do so b) no time. But the modern database is usable for new post WW2 scen designers of course. It seems however almost anyone has put on hold and wait for a new version of TOAW.

Would suggest we wait until the end of August/14 and if no definitive news we just use the version we have now with the unofficial patches [:)]
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Cfant2 and Alpha77,
I just finished converting Red Thunder 1988 using TOAW III X3Bb and Alpha77 latest modern .eqp mod, as well as some pretty minor OB and TOE changes. Most importantly, I now have the kind permission from the original designer of Red Thunder 1988, Eric Rutins, to publish a mod. Stay tuned...
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: HPT KUNZ

Cfant2 and Alpha77,
I just finished converting Red Thunder 1988 using TOAW III X3Bb and Alpha77 latest modern .eqp mod, as well as some pretty minor OB and TOE changes. Most importantly, I now have the kind permission from the original designer of Red Thunder 1988, Eric Rutins, to publish a mod. Stay tuned...

Well does sound cool, I retired from this game for a while or gaming in general. But got my hands on WITP-AE now again, so guess I have no live for the next months. Still follow TOAW tho.[:)]

Even if I noted this 2-3 times, I cannot stress enough that air and air defense (misslies!) are not tested properly in the modern file. Needs some tweaks I guess, while the land part is ok I think.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Red Thunder II 1988 was included in TOAW 3.5.

I decided not to include a mod.eqp file, but instead used the original .eqp file (not enough time to validate the revised values; it would be great if the TOAW community could agree on a revised data base.) Perhaps next go around.

The scenario seems to play out fairly well, although the result can be all over the place. I used Erik's Events without modificaion, and that results in a lot of Deux Ex Machina effects- nucs, North Sea battles, Iceland, Norway, Warsaw block uprisings... which makes the scenario quite interesting.

And Alpha77, re air and AA values, the original.eqp AA values seem a little weak even with the new patch; AP values of AA equipment seems a little excessive.

cheers

Rob Kunz
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
apocalypsemao

Post by apocalypsemao »

Does the Invade Austria theater option work for anyone else? Checking the option does nothing for me. [&:]

Return to “The War Room”