Das Chrome UI Mods 1.5b (20 June 2014)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

elvendeathknight

RE: Das Chrome UI Mods 1.5 (12 June 2014)

Post by elvendeathknight »

I just wanted to thank you for your mod. I'm using it and I like it.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Please keep providing feedback on what is and isn't working for you. If a few more people prefer the flat versions of the resource icons I'll revert back to that format.
DrApostle

Post by DrApostle »

This is just my opinion, so please just glean from all of us to make a decision for YOUR mod:

First, I love the mod and wouldn't think of not playing with it!

Second, I really like the way many of the resources "pop" like Gold.

Third, Any resource (mainly gases) were better with the flat version because they have a letter to identify them.

Fourth, Is there a better way to differentiate between things like steel, lead, carbon fibre, etc.? Could steel become an I beam for instance?

Thank you so much for your work!
master176281

Post by master176281 »

At first I have to say, that the icons are really fantastic. Never want to
go back to the original ones.

For feedback I have to say, that some of the shiny resources really look great.
But for some of them (gases), as has been said in the previous posts, I do also
find that quality scales not very well ingame. The fonts are difficult to read and
some of the nice little additions to the icons from the last version cannot be seen
ingame.

Thanks Das for making these great icons!
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

Will this be incorporated in to Haree's Extended mod at some point ?
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card
master176281

Post by master176281 »

Combining with other mods:
You may, like I do, prefer to play mods such ad DW Extended.

1. Download the mod you want to use and place it into the Customization directory.

2. Download and install this mod pack as per the instructions above.

3. Copy the 'help' and 'images' directories into the root folder of the target mod.

4. If you are asked to replace files then be careful you aren't overwriting something that the mod wants to use. In the case of DW Extended the help files dealing with resources can be safely overwritten.

This is from the OP. You can incorporate this mod in DW Extended quite easily. It is just a matter of copy/paste.

On a second note: In the OP of DW Extended you will find a download link which leads to a combined version: DW Extended + Das Resource Mod 1.4a (Blue)

If you like the natural colour, you have to follow the above mentioned instruction.

Hope this helps!
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

I'm more inclined to think it's the game not quite scaling prettily in the top half of the expansion. Your icons look quite good in other areas even in the bottom half of the same screen. Gases could be a little clearer though. I put an extra pixel width line above and below the crossbar on helium's H to make it look better but I still think the highlight is slightly strong and the planet ring going beneath the letters make definition more difficult. ... I got used to the hot pink backgrounds on luxuries though haha
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

Noticed a strange little thing. If you go the diplomacy screen the pirates are still using the default pirate mini flag. I tried to figure out why but couldn't get it show yours. Any ideas on this minor thing? Thanks.
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Here is a 64px version of the current resources...

And here it is reduced to 16px (which I think is about what the game brings it down to in various screens)...

So I guess to summarise, generally the luxury goods are OK in this version. As are the gems.
Gasses look better on the flat background.
Metals need better definition - gold being the best of those.
I also find the old polymer looked better.
Also thinking of simplifying the basic shape Zentabia Fluid.

And to address a few of the comments:

I actually had steel as an I-Beam when I first started building it but the shape was too complex at small size. I might bring it back and see how it looks now with the more defined rendering of this version.

As far as the pink colour is concerned I was trying to get that back a bit into the purples (royal colour) but maybe it would be best back to just a red colour.

That pirate flag is a big unknown to me. I'd love to find where it is being added from. It may be hard-coded, I have looked for it. :)
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

If you look at the small otandium opal you can see the highlight takes up nearly a quarter of the icon, I think it's a bit strong. Notice the size of the highlight on the nuts, drinks, aquasian incense? Barely visible when reduced to 16x while otandium is kinda glaring

I see what you mean with zentabia, the shape is a little indistinct perhaps it could do with a tiny outline between the droplets? The small balls of korriban spice could do with a slight outline to differentiate with yellow background too.

I have concerns about jade, seems a little dark at the lower half, perhaps the lighter 'eyeball' colour could be increased in radius a tiny amount? Maybe it's my warhammer figure painting eyes that are annoyed the highlight is hitting that lower half but the top half is where it's brighter.

The one with the leaf and berries could also do with a thin line to separate them better on the small icon, looks kinda like a green smear rather than two shapes.

Just to be clear I rather like the pink backgrounds now, I was thinking about lack of contrast when red was replaced but you're right that it was quite strong, I've noticed the same after comparing screenshots.

Everyone has different tastes, steel is one of my favourites, looks just like the massive coils they make at the steelworks here.

I believe I've read somewhere here that small pirate flag is hard-coded.

Sorry for having so many negative reactions haha, your mod is staying in for as long as I play DW either way.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Thanks necaradan. I appreciate the perspective you've given with a set of fresh eyes. :) You've identified a few of the icons I never really liked either in amongst the luxuries.
DasTactic

RE: Das Chrome UI Mods 1.5b (20 June 2014)

Post by DasTactic »

Version 1.5b has now been uploaded with hopefully more clearly defined resources. :) Icons changed are:
Krypton
Argon
Korabbian Spice
Caslon
Hydrogen
Lead
Helium
Ilosian Jade
Falajian Spice
Rephidium Ale
Steel
Otandium Opal
Zentabia Fluid
Polymer
Natarran Incense
Tyderios
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Thanks a lot Das.
marlin0

Post by marlin0 »

Thank you for this excellent UI overhaul, I like the recent tweaks.
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

Again, thanks for the work. This is really a legit upgrade to the UI.
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
Buio

Post by Buio »

Thanks for the update!
gerishnakov

Post by gerishnakov »

Cheers for this, Das. Best version yet!
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Great stuff thanks for the update Das!
eddyvegas

Post by eddyvegas »

Another thank you for this beautiful mod. I won't play DW without it.

About the resources: I am always thinking what a new player to the game might need in terms of feedback. And there's this list of, I guess you would call them, critical resources, in the Galactopedia, under Colony Growth: Steel, Lead, Carbon Fibre, Polymer, Silicon, Hydrogen, Caslon. It says if a colony doesn't have a sufficient supply of this stuff, its growth will be slower and the people less satisfied. It seems like these resources could use something to make them stand out, as the luxury resources do. Then again, Caslon and Hydrogen are used as fuels, which is another category... ahhh, it's a mess. :)

Anyway, I am using a combination of mods to 'kind of' do what I described above.

DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

Thanks for the comments. :)

The growth resources have lighter background than the other strategic resources.

Return to “Design and Modding”